The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:48 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Serious speed issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Serious speed issues  (Read 3494 times)
Matt Weaver

Email
Serious speed issues
« on: December 04, 2002, 07:08:59 pm »

I played the origional SC1 on an XT, beleive it or not, and I do remember it being rather slow. HOWEVER! the speed of this game is un-playably  fast, most markedly so on planet surfaces, and when trying to fight, ship-to-ship. I have encountered planets that I should be able to land on with some hazard, but be able to harvest resources with only some crew  loss, but due to the unruly speed of the game in these situations, I cannot even pick up one resource, if I land almost directly on it, without losing a lander and all its crew about 70% time.
I am an action/arcade fanatic, and have played my fair share of fast-paced games, but this is totally unreasonable.
norg
Zebranky food

WE COME IN PEACE

View Profile
Re: Serious speed issues
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 09:29:39 pm »

remember, matt.  this is an alpha release.  it's been said in some of the other threads already that the speed of some of the portions of the game is timed solely on the CPU speed and not necessarily what it should be.

because it is an alpha release, there will be all manner of things like that until future versions of the game are released until, finally, the final version is available and none of those issues are present to be worried about.

but it requires patience.  this is by no means a final product.

-= george =-
Matt Weaver

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 10:20:25 pm »

I didn't mean to come across harshly, I LOVE what the dev teams efforts have produced so far, I was simply commenting on my only real beef.

I am in the process of trying to get an old p100 running, so I can see if that makes the game a little more playable from a speed perspective. I didn't realize that portions of the game were still processor dependant for speed.

I am not much of a programmer myself, but can anyone give me an idea if that type of throttling will be hard to implement, and if not, when it could possibly be expected?

norg
Zebranky food

WE COME IN PEACE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 11:47:14 pm »

that type of throttling isn't all that difficult from what i understand of the devs discussion, and it's something that will be put in.  whether it's the pre-beta or the final beta, i don't know.  if you really want to be kept up to date on the progress, download the source and compile a version of your own  .(:

if you're like me and completely un-code-saavy, then wait till the pre-beta to come out (which is what i'm doing).

in the mean time, i'm mostly playing through most spots to hear the music and remixed music in the situations with the races, but i've gotten used to the speed of the lander on a 2ghz machine.  it's quite fast!  choose your planets wisely.  get biological detail and upgrade your planet lander.  all the usual stuff. (:

-= george =-
Dave Morse

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2002, 12:03:12 am »

I'm running on a AMD K6-450, and I sometimes have problems of the opposite you describe: the graphics get backed up and several frames are lost before the screen updates.  Pressing and quickly releasing keys often gets ignored.  And I think that somehow the /sound/ is what is really taxing my linux box.

However, all in all, it sounds like my problems are not nearly so bad as yours.  I pity you when you have to buy the lander speed upgrade.   Tongue

My main point in making this post is that your 100 mhz machine might be over-kill for the problem you have.  You might want a 300 mhz'er.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length