The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:18:31 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The Orz, the Arilou and perhaps a New Idea.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: The Orz, the Arilou and perhaps a New Idea.  (Read 17522 times)
CrowZone
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
The Orz, the Arilou and perhaps a New Idea.
« on: February 15, 2004, 09:34:55 am »

Note: I posted this in another thread, but it would be lost amid it so I wondered if anyone had any insight into what I'm getting at here.  Anyways, just reposting it for input.

-----------------------
Alright I wanted to reiterate my Orz/Arilou belief's so that people could see where I'm comming from.

First, throw out SC3 -- Its not hard to do heh  Nothing learned from SC3 is valid.

What does Orz tell us about itself? Orz, come from *below* which seems to be a dimension relatively below Realspace. Orz is not *light reflections* meaning that unlike in our universe, we percieve objects through sight by the light that reflects off them -- with Orz this is not so.  Also, Orz is not *many bubbles* or a multicellular organizm even though to us we would THINK Orz is made up of *Tiny bubbles*.  However Orz is probably a projection *finger* into our universe by some form of entity which resides in a dimension relatively beneath our native one.  Remember, we do not *see* Orz bubbles, but we obviously percieve them.

Orz came to our universe because they learned about it because of Androsynth experiments with IDF.  Seemingly, Androsynth learned how to open portals between dimensions, whether or not this facilitated travel for the Androsynth is trivial.  It merely allowed other Denizens of other Dimensions to somehow observe Androsynth.  

Orz was one of the beings that learned of Realspace because of the IDF experiments,  Before this, Orz did not even know Realspace existed!  Concieveably there are probably infinite number of dimensions, with inhabited ones few and far between.  At the same time, however, *they* also learned of the Androsynth.  

Now Orz watched the Androsynth and wants to help Androsynth.  So, Orz does what it feels is best!  It starts pulling Androsynth into Orz's dimension, or another dimension, safe from the *they*.  Orz, not really having comprehension of Death (hence, combat is always *dancing* or something fun) pull every bit of Androsynth they can find, living, dead, decaying -- everything)  After all, Orz wants to help every other *slider* it can find, it probably did so with the Taalo (more on that later).  

So Orz pulls the Androsynth out of Realspace -- The Androsynth probably had no idea what was going on and reacted negatively -- And now Orz is hiding the Androsynth.  To further protect them, Orz does not want to talk about the Androsynth incase *they* finds them again.

Now,  The Arilou are also interdimensional travelers and they frown upon the Orz.  I think because they see Orz as reckless and acts without considering things.  Orz refer's to Arilou as *Quick Babies*, probably simply a reference to the Arilou popping in and out of dimensions, and Also because I think on a time scale, Arilou are more like Us and less like Orz (which may or may not be eternal) therefore even though Arilou are wise and their species ancient, it might be nothing compared to Orz.  

The Arilou tell us that they have been hiding our smell from beings which would hurt us.  I think we can take this at face value, they're making it hard for other inter dimensional beings (or maybe only one particular inter dimensional being) to find us.

When asked, why the Arilou are in realspace again (outside of looking after us) they mention they are here catching *Nggn*.  When pressed about the *Nggn* the Arilou brush humans off and don't really want to explain it.  However, I get the impression that the *Nggn* and Orz's the They or Them are one and the same.  The Arilou are only found in Realspace, near their natural break into Quasispace from Hyperspace, that explains their small sphere of influence, but Technically, Quasi space travel means Arilou can quickly show up ANYWHERE they need to in the galaxy (and probably the entirety of realspace) fairly quickly, so geographically their location is trivial.  The way Arilou describe the *Nggn* is meant to make the captian not really think they're important.  Arilou don't want us to even contemplate looking for the *Nggn* because if we do, then the *Nggn* will find us!  Bad news.

Now, there's some animosity between Orz and the Arilou because they're both trying to do the same thing (protect things from some more evil form of ID being) and have different modalities for doing so. Arilou like to protect and hide beings in their own dimension (and maybe they're exclusive to humans) whereas Orz simply just rip an endangered race or society from where they are and hide them somewhere else.  

As for the Taalo, I dont think the Taalo were pulled into another dimension by Orz in the way the Androsynth are.  I believe the Taalo were more or less ready for IDF travel by the time Orz learned of them.  The Taalo probably left willingly our dimension for other dimensions (to protect themselves from being wiped out) In the time that has passed, the Taalo are probably profficient *sliders* through dimension, but are better then Orz at dealing with issues related to time, which Orz doesn't seem to have much of a grasp of.  So when the Taalo play with Orz, they use this to their advantage.

Now, that all being said, here's the reason WHY I believe all this.  Because its NOT the obvious selection.   There are tons of hints WHY Orz might be evil,  however alot of them come from the Arilou and I don't really think they're 100% trustworthy.  Honestly though, believing Orz are bad is just EASY -- and much of the stories in SC2 are complex and detailed.  If TFB ever made a REAL SC3, they would probably want to surprise people over their incorrect pre-concieved notions about some of the various races, and this is a perfect example of a set up to me.  Anyways, thats my opinion,  if you have any questions about some of the terms, and things I've left out, ask and I shall answer them as best I can about my interpretation.
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: The Orz, the Arilou and perhaps a New Idea.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 10:26:33 am »

i had an idea, or more like a look into future, by what was found at the ayndrosynth home world. there cities were hit, from what is best described, as nuclear bombardment from orbit. now the only race with nukes, are... thats right, humans. the orz weapons are more like cannon shells, than nukes. to me this sounds like a set up for time travel, since earth is slave shielded, theres no way a rouge band of humans, could do that handy work. so sometim in the future,  humans go back to stop the ayndrosynth, or protect them, what ever fits your future plot. i perfer protect, it just doesnt settle well that in the end of all that slavery, we should end up enemies. anyways, maybe the TIME humans, find out something bads coming out of the IDF holes, start shooting at the planet, trying to help the synth. only to disapear too...
now maybe its the orz coming through on that day, or something else all together. you decide.

now i know im pulling alot on that one notion about the nukes, but it would fit, regardless.

well thats my take on it. its just to incomplete, to really make anything solid. without pulling ideas out of thin air, to go in right directions of the facts. it needs more TRUE story to REALLY figure out what happened.

~DEFIANT
CrowZone
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 10:38:00 am »

Technically, other races likely have nuclear technology -- The Thraddash for sure do.

However, In my theory, the Androsynth are nuking themselves, in an attept to stop the "They" who are acting like ghosts, or poltergeists and thus the nukes are useless against them.  It stands to reason taht the Androsynth would have nukes,  They COME from earth after all.
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 07:14:01 pm »

i had an idea, or more like a look into future, by what was found at the ayndrosynth home world. there cities were hit, from what is best described, as nuclear bombardment from orbit. now the only race with nukes, are... thats right, humans

I don't think so. The lander crew says that there is no sign of planetary bombardment, that the cities look like "something appeared out of nowhere and blasted everything with nuclear bazookas". Also there's no sign of any bodies.
So my guess it was something like this:
- The Androsynths start experimenting with IDF
- *They* (Orz in my opinion) notice the Synths
- Synths go crazy (because the knowladge about all the ID things is too much for their fragile little minds)  and proceed to blast everything with nuclear bazookas in order to save themselves from *them*
- It was of course pointless because *they* did not exist in a physical form in our dimension at that *time*
- *They* take over/devour the minds of Synths and change the shape of their bodies (not that hard for a multi-inter-dimenisonal beeing)

And voila what was once an Androsynth is now an Orz.

Fits like a glove to the whole "There are no more Androsynth now. Only Orz." thing

Your bruises are reminders of naivete and trust
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 08:37:06 pm »

nuclear bazookas, i forgot about that. i thought it was from orbit, my bad. so... what race has nuclear bazookas? i dont think there is any evidence that the Orz use that kind of weapon with there Space Marines. there just isnt enough Fact to draw a good conlusion.

i do like the time travel senario. maybe change a few things, like humans and synth fighting ON the planet, together. making up for past travisties.

i guess i just want the humans and synth to be reunited...

~DEFIANT
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 01:00:26 am »

Thoiugh it bears little relvevance to the discussion, and though I'm not trying to imply that the Traddash were in any way involved in the disappearance of the Synth, a nuclear bazooka does sound like a very Traddash like weapon..

What's up doc?
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 07:49:45 am »

hmmm...and the plot thickins...

~DEFIANT
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 06:27:39 pm »

i do like the time travel senario. maybe change a few things, like humans and synth fighting ON the planet, together. making up for past travisties.

i guess i just want the humans and synth to be reunited...
~DEFIANT

Well... most of the ideas of bringing back the Androsynth I've seen before remind me too much of the way cheap science fiction series revive dead characters, the only difference is that even the cheapest s-f series didn't go as far as reviving whole species.

I think if the Androsynth were to return, they would have to become something like Arilou. After beeing *pulled* they went through hell in the *below* dimensions, but some of them survived, adapted to the new environment and became inter-dimensional travellers who look after their human cousins (but don't really tell them too much, for their own protection of course).

CrowZone
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 08:58:56 pm »

I'd agree that they'd be more "wise" as a race, having learned many interesting secrets about the nature of the Universe -- whether they would be nice or mean to the Humans is another thing.  They don't much like humans -- but perhaps theyve been enlightened by their adventures.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 01:23:21 am »

I would disagree with some of your assumptions, Crowzone:
1)Orz was laughing about our saying that we see it.  In reality, we see the photons that bounce off of Orz, not Orz.  This is just like every other object: we see photons, not the ocject itself.  Orz was pointing out something funny in the way we speak.
2)Orz is not *Many Bubbles* does not immediately imply that Orz is not multicellular.  In my opinion, this means that Orz is not seperate entities like we are, but is instead a unified being.  We do "see" Orz *fingers* in the sense that we see the photons that bounce off them.
3)Orz lets us investigate the Andosynth Homeworld, something it wouldn't do if it were trying to protect us.  Also, it mentions the Androsynth making the IDF portals (again, something it wouldn't do if it wanted to protect us).
4)*Nggn* have nothing to do with *them* because the Arilou tell us about them.  They would not have even mentioned their *name* if they didn't want us to find out more about them.  The Arliou seem only to be hunting *Nggn* for sport, and explain to us that we can't physically interact with *Nggn*, so it's pointless for us to try their sport/game.

I do agree that Orz is probably not "evil" in that it wants to destroy.  It's acting more like an immature playfull being (close to pure instinct; a quality the Arilou find refreshing in others).  The problem is that its an immature playfull being that's playing at the controls of a tank in the middle of a shopping mall.
CrowZone
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 01:47:56 am »

Your points 1 and 2 are fine, I see what your saying -- as for point 3 however, Orz isn't protecting US at all,  nor does it want to really.  Its interested in the Androsynth and thats about it.  One track mind and all -- It could care less about what we do, as long as we don't go looking for the Androsynth too much -- what the Synth left on their homeworld doesn't matter anymore so they don't care.
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 09:31:50 pm »

what the Synth left on their homeworld doesn't matter anymore so they don't care.

Doesn't matter?
The fact that there are no Androsynth bodies, and that there is no sign of planetary bombardment raises a few interesting question. That + Bukowsky went bananas after seeing what was stored on the Synth's computer. Now if he didn't trash it we'd probably hear from *them* 'REAL SOON'.

I'd agree that they'd be more "wise" as a race, having learned many interesting secrets about the nature of the Universe -- whether they would be nice or mean to the Humans is another thing.  They don't much like humans -- but perhaps theyve been enlightened by their adventures.

I think that after learning The Nature Of The Universe and seeing how irrelevant our standard 3 - 4 dimensions are when compared to the Universe, the Androsynth would see the years of slavery and overall nastyness as childish and would forgive us... I hope
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 09:33:24 pm by Ivan_Ivanov » Logged

Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 10:10:56 pm »

By what was found at the ayndrosynth home world. there cities were hit, from what is best described, as nuclear bombardment from orbit. now the only race with nukes, are... thats right, humans.~DEFIANT

Techinically yes, but u reamember the story the "peace vaults" the Earthlings stockpiled all the nukes to prevent them from being used and besides nukes are very primitive compared to other races weapons that have similar effects. Comander Hayes at ur starbase tell u that the Ur-Quan surrounded Earth and blasted all structure over 500 years old with their fusion cannons, and scorched the Earth for 3 whole days, sounds remotely similar to nukes if u ask me.

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 11:35:03 pm »

The 'synth aren't going to have structures that old, nor would the  'Quan blast them; they're not fallow slaves.
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 12:04:56 am »

Read the planet report:

---- REPORT FROM SURFACE ----
XENO-HISTORIAN KILGORE HERE, SIR. WE HAVE CONFIRMED THAT THESE RUINS ARE THE REMNANTS OF THE ANDROSYNTH CULTURE. FROM THE MASS DESTRUCTION WE HAVE WITNESSED, WE CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT THERE WAS SOME KIND OF HUGE LAND WAR HERE WITHIN THE PAST FIVE YEARS; HOWEVER, THERE IS NO, REPEAT, NO SIGNS OF ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT OR INVASION FROM SPACE... JUST A WHOLE MESS OF BUILDINGS SHOT TO PIECES. PROBABLY THE WEIRDEST THING WE HAVE SEEN, OR NOT SEEN, ARE CORPSES... THERE AREN'T ANY! IT'S AS THOUGH SOMETHING APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE, BLASTED EVERYTHING WITH NUCLEAR BAZOOKAS, THEN GRABBED ALL THE ANDROSYNTH AND DISAPPEARED.

End of Report

Notice it says very clearly - NO signs of orbital bomdbardment?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length