The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:23:17 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  New to SC2/UQM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New to SC2/UQM  (Read 7830 times)
SLot0k
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
New to SC2/UQM
« on: December 06, 2002, 03:50:28 am »

First off, am very happy with this alpha.  It's better than a lot of beta stuff I've toyed with  Grin.  

Anyway, on to the question-

Is there any sort of strategy guide to SC2/UQM?  Yes, I've googled on this and the links that came back weren't extremely helpful, to say the least.

I wasn't lucky enough to play it back when it was new, and am sort of lost as to the order things should be done in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ry
(wishing for ports of Space Vikings & Dreadnoughts)
Musourenka
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: New to SC2/UQM
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 04:11:37 am »

GameFAQs has a few FAQs on Star Control II.

It's not a strategy guide, but there are quick walkthroughs in there.

Oh, and this might help:

http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/starcon2.php
SLot0k
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 06:15:35 am »

Thanks-

Those did help some.  I guess I'm looking for more tips on combat than anything else really.  Smiley
Parker
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 06:19:05 am »

Hmm... the best way to learn combat is by experience.  I suggest spending many hours in Super Melee pitting all kinds of different ships together, with Awesome Cyborg as your enemy.
Zeroarmy
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2002, 06:42:47 am »

Parker is right. To master combat you need to spend lots of time working in melee. However, there is a guild at http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/shptoshp/ which will give you data on ships and suggestions on how to use them in combat. It might get you going a little faster, intead being stuck having to learn each ship before being able to master their abilities like the rest of us had to do.
SLot0k
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2002, 07:13:56 am »

Heh.  Yep.  That's what I've been doing.   Lots of melee.

I am also curious as to which additional modules are the best to add to your ship early on - extra fuel pods, thrusters, etc.  And what exactly does the dynamo do?  I don't notice a ready increase in speed...

Thanks for the helpful responses thus far.
Shivam
Zebranky food

Pkunk-ra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2002, 07:15:20 am »

early on i go for thrusters/turn jets and fuel tanks.  leave melee to your minor ships till you have hellbores =)

As for dynamos, they speed up your weapon charge rate.
Arrow
Frungy champion

o_o

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2002, 07:56:35 am »

I usually max out on thrusters right away.  This enables me to run away from all the dark beady spots in Hyperspace early on to counter my lack of combat skills.   Grin
Musourenka
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2002, 09:33:09 am »

Funny.

I don't use my ships (all I have is an Eluder and two Furies).  I just go in with the Vindicator and kick butt. Grin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 09:33:53 am by Musourenka » Logged
TD
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2002, 10:00:30 am »

At the start I clear out all the planets in Sol then buy lots or cargo modules and get another crew module. Then I go down and mine the Centuri systems (specially Alpha Centuri, two of its planets are covered with exotics). You should have just enough room and crew.
After that I go up to the Spathi, kill off the evil ones, mine some resources and get some credits for tech. On the way back I then go via the orz to get some good fighting ships Smiley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 10:07:54 am by TD » Logged
Zeroarmy
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2002, 10:04:55 am »

Yup, thrusters are very important. They speed up melee, planet to planet travel, and hyperspace travel (they make it so it takes less time to get from one solar system to another). However, I find that maxing them out is a waste of RU. If you fill up all slots but two you will be able to run from all ships (the Slylandro probe doesn't count as it can always catch you). And don't forget to mix in some control jets while you're at it. They're your only chance to beat a Slylandro Probe early on, mainly because your Spathi ship is hard to master in this Alpha version. Then make sure you have 1 or 2 extra crew pods (I prefer one at first) and 2 total fuel tanks. Once you're semi-battle ready I would recommend adding some storage bays, so you can go on long missions without having to return to your starbase right away. Some might suggest building up your fleet and that is a good idea, but since you're new to this you'll have to run alot and so you'll want to be able to take as few hits as possible in the process (killing the enemy ship and running while the ditty is playing is a good way if the enemy ship is as fast as you).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 10:07:45 am by Zeroarmy » Logged
TD
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2002, 10:18:07 am »

I don't bother with weapons on the flagship until you've got hellbores, furnaces and those tracking modules. Until then I use other ships as it's cheaper and they're better anyway.

IMO the best way to take probes out is with the cruiser. Shoot two missiles then do a grav whip and keep shooting until you've finished it off.
Zeroarmy
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2002, 10:23:42 am »

I don't bother with weapons on the flagship until you've got hellbores, furnaces and those tracking modules. Until then I use other ships as it's cheaper and they're better anyway.

IMO the best way to take probes out is with the cruiser. Shoot two missiles then do a grav whip and keep shooting until you've finished it off.

I agree upgrading your weapon is pointless in the beginning (unless you don't have enough RUs and want to get the talking pet). But, how you beat probes with an Earthling cruiser is beyond me. It's possible to do once or twice, but sooner or later the probe will warp in near you and take out your hard earned RUs in seconds.
TD
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2002, 10:54:52 am »

Yeah that's true. Normally I would use Fwiffo but since the Eluder is bung in this alpha the cruiser is the next best option. I haven't had much time to play so far but I've only meet two probes which I took out easily and I've already got Orz ships.
Francisco
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1! It's *happy*!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2002, 01:39:14 pm »

The most rewarding aspect of finishing this game when I played this game was figuring it out for myself. It took a lot of time, yes, and I got really frustrated at times, but it was really satisfying to overcome challenges.

Life may be difficult, but it's in all of us to make it easier for eachother. HELP! the ORZ are after me!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length