The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:42:36 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  I'm working on a Star Control II walkthrough
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I'm working on a Star Control II walkthrough  (Read 8509 times)
Shiver

Email
I'm working on a Star Control II walkthrough
« on: July 31, 2004, 10:07:14 am »

So far I've finished the legal crap, formalities, controls, a mention of this site, verbose instructions on what to do in the Solar system at the start followed by a quick summary. My intent is for the guide in its entirity to lead the reader by the nose through the whole game so a person following it--despite having never played the game before--will win their first try. I'm not sure if I'll finish it, but it is kinda fun to write this up. I'm asking for a critique of what I've written so far, preferably from someone who knows their stuff such as D999 or Lukipela.

The main reason not to write this is that there are already several guides floating around. My argument for making it anyway is that mine hopes to be far more extensive. I'll check back here tomorrow.
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: I'm working on a Star Control II walkthrough
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 10:12:41 am »

you should set up a copy at gamefaqs.com, once you get a rough draft worked out. just a thought.

~DEFIANT
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 10:36:17 am »

If you feel you can contribute something different, then by all means.  I'm sure you'll find a lot of people who know their stuff that can say something (like me, I'm going on 10 years of playing SC2).  Whenever you get something, just post it for comment - I'm sure you'll get some.

I'm asking for a critique of what I've written so far, preferably from someone who knows their stuff such as D999 or Lukipela.

Sander Scamper
*Smell* controller

I'm not a little teapot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 07:09:06 pm »

Yeah, just post updates of what you've written, and we will critique it. (At least, i will.)
And this is a great idea.

Make sure you include some things like the Metachron, the Organon 'bug' and some other useful tidbits.

"Oops!" KA-BOOM!!

"Space is a dangerous place where wimps eat flaming plasma death" -The Zot....or is it the Fot?? We may never know...unless the guy in the back tells us!

UQM/SC2 = World Peace.
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 08:09:04 pm »

Why don't you just post what you have so more people can help?
Baltar
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 09:43:14 pm »

I'd suggest reviewing the SC2 Role Playing Resource Guide, located here: http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/classicgaming/starcontrol/sc2/resource.pdf

Of course, if you already have, then feel free to ignore me.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 09:49:49 pm »

Sounds good, a concise guide might come in handy for newcomers. Let me know when you have something to look at.

What's up doc?
TiLT
*Smell* controller

To boldly go where no Spathi has dared go before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 10:21:55 pm »

Writing a walkthrough is a good idea, although I wouldn't make it linear, seeing as though this is a nonlinear game. People will probably get the most use out of it if they can easily look up their current quest and see what it takes to complete it. I'd organize each quest somewhat like this:

Quest Name: A name for the quest here, for example Make the Spathi Join The Alliance
Required Quests: A list of earlier quests required to complete this particular one. For example, in order to use the Sun Device on the Chmmr, you must have completed the Destroy the Ilwrath quest.
Quest Reward: If the quest gives you a reward, either during its completion, or at the end, list it here. For example, making the Spathi join the Alliance gives you the ability to build Spathi ships at the starbase.
Walkthrough: The particulars of how to complete this quest.

Just a suggestion, at least. Take it however you want. Smiley
Shiver

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 03:04:08 am »

Why don't you just post what you have so more people can help?

Negatory. If I did that, I wouldn't be the author so much as one of 20 people who contributed. If I decide to drop the project, I'll pass what I have on to someone else. In its final stage people can make contributions of anything I miss.

Those of you who are wondering, yes, I am handing over what I've got to Lukipela for inspection in a sec.
Sander Scamper
*Smell* controller

I'm not a little teapot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 02:23:44 pm »

I really do like the idea of the table suggested by TiLT.

Thats pretty neat.
Another idea i have would be an explosion chart. With Sa-Matra Destruction in the middle, and a branch going to say, The Ultron, or Dynarri. and then it lists "Rosy Sphere" under Ultron, with details on getting a mycon egg fragment, or alternatively, just sell 100 crew.

"Oops!" KA-BOOM!!

"Space is a dangerous place where wimps eat flaming plasma death" -The Zot....or is it the Fot?? We may never know...unless the guy in the back tells us!

UQM/SC2 = World Peace.
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 06:11:52 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure a guide + faqs will make
a lot of newbies happy.

What sound does a penguin make?
Spitfire
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004, 07:01:50 pm »

Sounds good. The thing SC2 is missing is a complete faq/guide/walkthrough/spoiler with pretty much everything in it. These are the things I think are good to be gathered in a single, comprehensive document:
- the walkthrough of the main plot
- the walkthrough of all 'side quests' not required to finish the plot
- the locations of every homeworld, rainbow world and item
- a comprehensive list of the richest mineral/bio star systems
- detailed info on all different ways to complete a certain task (ie, all the possible ways to get the Rosy Sphere from Druuge, etc)
- in-depth info and timeline of the events happening in the galaxy (Kohr-Ah victory, Utwig Supox war against the Kohr-Ah, Pkunk attempts to merge with the Yehat, etc)
- a walkthrough-for-dummies to compile the source for at least Win32 and Linux

- all the Star Control II fact threads that meep-eep has posted:  
And maybe some other tidbits of info gathered from this forum.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 07:06:01 pm by Spitfire » Logged
Sander Scamper
*Smell* controller

I'm not a little teapot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 08:06:07 pm »

Can we maliciously, premediatively, evilly, lead unsuspecting innocent newbies into looking for the Cloaking Device? {Its next to the blue star...you know the one....with planets around it...)
Pleeease? =p

"Oops!" KA-BOOM!!

UQM/SC2 = World Peace.
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 08:23:06 pm »

[wet blanket]

The Pages of Now and Forever have had several walkthroughs for the game available for many years now.  I'd posit that your effort, while well-intentioned, is redundant.

Links to everything are here.

[/wet blanket]

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Spitfire
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2004, 09:04:27 pm »

[wet blanket]

The Pages of Now and Forever have had several walkthroughs for the game available for many years now.  I'd posit that your effort, while well-intentioned, is redundant.

Links to everything are here.

[/wet blanket]

Of course you can find all the necessary information by searching through the site, the web and this forum, but I'd like to see a single document with everything necessary gathered together. There are several walkthroughs at that site but none of them is 100% complete. Not to mention all those little undocumented secrets that the guys developing the Ur-Quan Masters have revealed. They're not written in anywhere else but this forum. All that info gathered into one - that's what this is all about.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length