The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:24:36 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  I think I'm hosed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I think I'm hosed  (Read 4303 times)
seankreynolds
Zebranky food

Lovin' the game

View Profile WWW
I think I'm hosed
« on: December 19, 2002, 04:45:01 am »

I wandered into Ur-Quan space and dropped out of hyperspace with some Dreadnoughts. Not a problem. I defeat them, and there are tons of other ships warping in and they're so close that I can't evade them, so I'm trapped in an endless succession of battles. If I could just get away after that first battle before the second cluster of ships catches me in hyperspace, I could get away (turning and thrust are maxed out on my main ship).

The problem is that (stupid me) I accidentally saved over my main save file at the start of the battle with the Dreadnoughts. Now I can't restore to an earlier version and I can't escape.

Advice? Help? A cheat to get rid of this second group that's tailing me? Help!

Minoru

Email
Re: I think I'm hosed
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 05:58:59 am »

Ouch... that's happened to me before.  I called Melnorm in the Ur-Quan space and when I met up with it it turned out to be an Ur-Quan!  And I saw more circles approaching as I exited hyperspace to fight.  I came out of the battle unscratched and thought I'd make some easy money (this is before upgrading the skeleton Precursor ship with homing fusion cannon, so no quick kills)... Soon enough I got into an almost endless loop of fighting an Ur-Quan fleet after another.  Luckily, I managed to escape far enough after 20 battles or so.  I think the only thing you can do is keep fighting until there's enough time for you to escape... or it might even be faster to just start again from your last saved point  :-/
Black Monk

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 09:18:19 pm »

Or, if you have ANY amount of time, use the portal spawner as soon as you exit a battle.  Just JAM that spacebar and hope that you get to your device list before the next encounter.
seankreynolds
Zebranky food

Lovin' the game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 10:14:53 pm »

I don't yet have the portal spawner. :/

And I can't save to a previous game since I accidentally saved over it. And I don't want to start again because I've been through a year of game time and have finally acquired all of the kick-ass stuff I need to really get going in the storyline. :/

But I realized something last night: hyperspace speed is based on ship speed, yah? So If I can hack the Kor-Ah ships temporarily and set their speed to 0, the one that's tailing me (the one that always catches me, which seals my doom since a ton of other ships show up after that) won't be able to catch me and I will be able to get away.

Any advice on how to do that? I no longer know hex well enough or the file structure of the 3DO ship files to figure it out myself.

Azarule
*Many bubbles*

Andale, Andale, arriba !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2002, 02:49:52 am »

Check one of my earlier threads for the Melnorme Cheat.  Grin

If these visions have offended, thing but this and all is mended : You have but slumbered here while these visions did appear.  And this weak and idling theme, no more yielding than a dream.
seankreynolds
Zebranky food

Lovin' the game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2002, 03:07:08 am »

Check one of my earlier threads for the Melnorme Cheat.  Grin

Unless you're talking about how the Melnorme show up and give you fuel when you have none, I can't find what you're talking about. Also, the problem isn't with my fuel (I have a nearly full tank) it that my only valid save game has me surrounded by bad guys and I can't get away. Can you help with that?

Nic.

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2002, 03:21:23 am »

I think you might be "fux0r3d", to use the parlance of our times.. :-/

If you're maxed out on speed and turning jets, you can usually evade Hyperspace baddies fairly easily, black truespace blobbies always fall for even the simplest of evasive maneuvers.  Just run away from them for a stretch and then try to outflank them.  Once you've got them all behind you (and are headed in the general direction you want to go), switch the auto-pilot back on and enjoy the ride..

If you didn't bulk up on ship goodies, however, and they're faster than you are, it might just be time to start over.  Or settle into the fight..
« Last Edit: December 20, 2002, 03:22:50 am by Nic. » Logged
Black Monk

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2002, 03:27:13 am »

Or you can give your savegame to someone to see if they can get you out of this bind, resave it, and give it back to you.  I don't know if you're relatively new to playing SC2 and that's part of the problem in evading or getting out of the battles.

I mean, we can't expect EVERYONE to have been playing this for 10 years, eh?  Wink
seankreynolds
Zebranky food

Lovin' the game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2002, 03:28:37 am »

Trust me, evading them isn't the issue. It's that I come out of truespace after the battle and there's another enemy so close to me that it's almost on me by the time I'm done "spinning up" into hyperspace. Even by charging straight ahead without taking any time to turn, they catch me. :/

If I could set the Kor-Ah speed to zero, or figure out what \content files I'd need to swap to make the Kor-Ah act like a slow ship (like the VUX) I could outrun them and my problem would be over.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2002, 03:39:02 am by seankreynolds » Logged

seankreynolds
Zebranky food

Lovin' the game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2002, 03:59:41 am »

Never mind, I somehow managed to escape after defeating the Kor-Ah that fell on me, perhaps because of some random variable producing a different result. In any case, I made it away safely. That'll teach me to autopilot through UQ space and then save over my master file....

Thanks, everyone!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length