The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:26:06 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  NEWS: Toys for Bob go for a new Star Control and need your help (READ!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: NEWS: Toys for Bob go for a new Star Control and need your help (READ!)  (Read 136639 times)
gasa70
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: NEWS: Toys for Bob go for a new Star Control and need your help (READ!)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 06:36:13 pm »

I've personallu never played star control 1, but I have played the Ur-QUan Masters, and I'm pretty hopeful....I've never played Star Control 3, or know what's so bad about it, but I do know this: That Puppets are CRAP.
Thankyou.
lol
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 06:46:29 am »

www.abandonia.com
Starcontrol 3 is on the front page right now and you can download and play it there.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
swbf
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 08:01:45 am »

Hey, I know toys for bob would of most likely posted any new info on the situation on their website, but why the hell haven't we heard anything new? Is this bad? I am afraid......
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 09:42:39 am by swbf » Logged
Anthony
*Smell* controller

Star Control Lives!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 05:16:58 pm »

Hey, I know toys for bob would of most likely posted any new info on the situation on their website, but why the hell haven't we heard anything new? Is this bad? I am afraid......

There's really not much for them to post.  They did put a lot of emphasis on sending those e-mails.  I've been sending at least one e-mail every day, and I even mailed them a letter Cheesy.  I don't know when they'll get it Cheesy

Just keep sending those e-mails (to alexness@toysforbob.com), and hopefully TFB will convince Activision to create a new Star Control game!  They're the only ones who can make a Star Control game right. Spread the word in other forums, chatrooms, MSN screenname, etc.

Do not give up!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 04:22:00 am by batman4050 » Logged

MasterGrazzt
Zebranky food

Star God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 04:58:27 pm »

You know, I think that if a true sequel is made, it should be proudly and openly stated to the mainstream that it's a sequel to an old DOS game, one that even continues the storyline. Part of the marketing campaign should be that the original is now freeware. In fact, Star Control 1 and the latest version of UQM (unless of course your publisher stipulates that they gain the rights) should be packaged with the game, including the original manuals. I think that might create a sort of mystique around it. Not to mention that it's a pretty cinematic idea. It invokes the Star Wars sequels, which is probably a double edged sword, come to think of it. Still, the idea is worth considering!

"The premise, basically, a modern tragedy! Disdained senility, gore-tempered novelty, an inability, for cold reality!" - The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, "House of Clocks"
Halleck
Enlightened

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 10:27:58 am »

Interesting... I've seen that model used before.. Like when all the Zork games were given out for free during the release of Zork: Grand Inquisitor, or how you can now get GTA and GTA2 for free off Rockstar's website.

I think that it's important for the game to appeal to both old fans and new gamers alike. People should be aware that it has predecessors, but perhaps it's unwise to make them feel like they are being excuded from something. Ideally, fans and the uninitiated will both able to pick up the game and enjoy it.  Grin

Of course, including SC1 and SC2 with the game will help new players to get into the series, but they shouldn't have to play through them just to figure out the new one.

Currently working on: Going outside more
Razorback
Frungy champion

We are all *happy campers*

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 11:48:47 am »

The X-Box version of Doom 3 did the same thing, invluded Dooms 1 and 2 in the disc.  Wonder if the Doom3 expansion has the two extensions to Doom 2 on it. 

Pyro411
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 12:17:45 am »

I think that it's important for the game to appeal to both old fans and new gamers alike. People should be aware that it has predecessors, but perhaps it's unwise to make them feel like they are being excuded from something. Ideally, fans and the uninitiated will both able to pick up the game and enjoy it.  Grin

Of course, including SC1 and SC2 with the game will help new players to get into the series, but they shouldn't have to play through them just to figure out the new one.

Hmm you know Halleck, they could always do what the makers of Shenmu "Spelling?" did for their 2nd installment they included a DVD which re-capped the storyline which happened in the first game.  That'll help get people up to speed who may have not played SC1/2 at all or haven't played it since the old dos days.

Either way, i'd be stoked to see a true TFB continuation of the story.
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2006, 02:15:03 pm »

Toys for bob site:

Jun 28 2006
OBGYN Kenobi

Hey, this is just a quick Star Control initiative update:  Emails and petition signings supporting that initiative I just mentioned continue to come in.  We're still a little short of that 1 million mark I wanted.  I guess that can just stay out of my car and into my dreams for a while.  My car isn't all that clean right now anyway.

We really do appreciate all of this support.  Besides helping us convince Activision that there is a fan base clammoring for this game, the emails really fire Paul up.  He's been brainstorming ideas on his spare time for a possible sequel and come up with some really cool stuff.

So are we actually going to make this thing?  We still don't know.  It's kind of like birds.  What are birds?  We really don't know.  The hope is that after we finish our current project, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, we can propose doing a Star Control sequel next.  Oh yeah, that's right, our current project is Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam for the Wii.  So now you know.  And knowing is half the battle.  You know what the other half of the battle is?  Battling.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 05:35:43 pm »

This is good news indeed. Very good, I'll be looking forward to this!

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 06:46:25 pm »

Go, Paul, Go!
XR4-IT
*Many bubbles*

The nuts Androsynth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006, 07:20:23 pm »

I have not seen any new news on this subject for some time… What’s up.

Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 04:22:16 pm »

Well considering they're working on Tony Hawks Downhill Jam right now I don't think they have enough time to work on SC3 (I refuse to call that piece of rotting crap a sequel) at the moment, but even when they do I wouldn't expect them to release details about it till an E-3 Show. Could be a show stealer, could have it someway in the middle that a Spathi comes up on footage and with a bar graph point out the fun factor of the history of Star Control (In the begining it'd slowly increase, SC2 would shoot up and then when it hits SC3 it crumbles and crashes, Spathi could say it couldn't get any worse than that and then it says Star Control : Interbellum and the bar graph promptly explodes) Or they could just introduce newer players to it by going through the history, so on...

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2006, 11:40:22 pm »

I don't think they have enough time to work on SC3 (I refuse to call that piece of rotting crap a sequel) at the moment
Couldn't we call the projected sequel "UQM2" to avoid confusion with that which should be forgotten?

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 04:26:10 am »

I don't think they have enough time to work on SC3 (I refuse to call that piece of rotting crap a sequel) at the moment
Couldn't we call the projected sequel "UQM2" to avoid confusion with that which should be forgotten?

I guess we could...

but it would be confusing if the sequel didn't have the ur-quan playing a major role.

Or it could be a PREQUEL!  Shocked 

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length