The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:30:03 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Penny Arcade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Penny Arcade  (Read 2462 times)
Arrow
Frungy champion

o_o

View Profile WWW
Penny Arcade
« on: January 02, 2003, 04:04:30 am »

UQM got a mention at PA today (3-1-03).  Not in the comic; just in the news, where Tycho heard about it and got it.  Here's the link.  And here's the bulk of his comments about it:

I went to Sourceforge because I had read somewhere that The Ur Quan Masters - essentially, Star Control 2 without the Name Star Control - was out there and available for download. Star Control 2 (and Starflight II, obviously) are games I recall with such fondness. I had initially written "extreme fondness," but I removed it because, really, what would that look like.

I grabbed the files for it, which are available for Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and BeOS (for some inexplicable reason). They've done a great job and it will only become cleaner and more sensible as time goes on. If you've never experienced SC2 before, keep in mind that the last time I played this was on a 386, which ran it silky-smooth. This was when we thought two hundred and fifty-six colors was rather a lot of colors, maybe too many for our liking. I know you aren't supposed to care about graphics if you're a real gamer or something but graphics are really important. How important they are is a personal consideration, so whether or not this'll float your boat is something I can't say. Do give it a shot, though.

Unfortunately, I don't believe he mentioned anything about it being an alpha.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 04:07:18 am by Arrow » Logged
Fsi-Dib
*Many bubbles*

The Crimson Corporation

View Profile
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 05:08:22 pm »

Does this mean that the programmers need to put some floating "THIS IS ALPHA!" textes going around in the main screen? Grin

The unofficial music critic.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length