The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:46:59 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Serious lack of Star Control-like games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Serious lack of Star Control-like games  (Read 7474 times)
grayfox777
Frungy champion

View Profile
Serious lack of Star Control-like games
« on: May 08, 2007, 06:51:02 am »

Why aren't there more? Tons of people seem to be amazed by the idea of space travel and exploration. There are so many possibilities for games that could include space exploration. So why aren't game companies pushing for the next Star Control or Elite?

We have Space Empires, Master of Orion, and Galactic Civilizations... but they're more like empire-building games. And what about console releases?

Star Fox, Star Wars, and Star Trek... some great games... but not much exploration.

We have the Elite, Starflight, and Star Control series'.... but no modern game from any of those three series! A New Starflight game is being developed, but in an awfully slow pace. Toys For Bob wants to make another Star Control, but  ****ing Activision won't let them!

Aftermath... a spinoff of Star Control made by someone from here.... could have been a great game. I can't find anything about it anymore though. It seems to be a dead project.
Black Sky.... can't wait for that game to be finished!
Infinity: Quest for Earth.... I'm not a big MMO fan, but give World of Warcraft some fierce competition! And give me the single-player game that's being planned!
Noctis.... amazing.... but just up the graphics a little bit.... just a little.... maybe to Star Control quality. I just discovered that something amazing is currently being created though... Noctis V. It would be great if it supports some type of plugins!
Spore.... that game is going to be a hit! But I don't know if there's really that much exploration involved.
Celestia... While not a game per se, it supports plugins. I saw a great attempt to turn it into a game via plugins... but unfortunately, it seems that the project was abandoned.

Okay, that's more space games than I thought, but not many like Star Control! Not many with a huge exploration/mysterious factor!
Where are all the space fans in the gaming industry and indie gaming developer community!? Speak up and get us the next Star Control, Elite, or maybe even a new series! Tell those corporations what we want!
And to indie developers... I know it might be tough to compete with huge corporations... but give it your best! You can do it!  Grin
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:39:42 am by grayfox777 » Logged

"If you have 'Peace', you simply haven't yet seen the thing that's trying to kill you." -Spathi
Aya Reiko
Zebranky food

Bewitching Smile Amethyst

View Profile
Re: Serious lack of Star Control-like games
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:31:55 pm »

My only recommendation is Freelancer.  I haven't played it myself, but it sounds like the type of game you are looking for.

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 02:31:44 pm »

Or the freeware, cross-platform Vega Strike.
grayfox777
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:56:13 pm »

Yeah, I tried Vega Strike. Unfortunately, my computer has a pile of trash video card.
How much exploration is involved? The screenshots make Vega Strike look like just a space shooter.
Freelancer looks interesting. I might try it sometime. How much exploration is there?
I also need to play Space Rangers 2 someday.

I just wish there was something for a console though.
I'll be needing a new computer eventually.  Undecided
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:58:50 pm by grayfox777 » Logged

"If you have 'Peace', you simply haven't yet seen the thing that's trying to kill you." -Spathi
Gunstar Zero
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 10:36:55 pm »

you could give eve-online a try

http://www.eve-online.com/
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 06:02:04 am »

I'm also aching for another Starflight-or-SC2-like game, but no one seems interested in making one.

I'd give a shot at it myself, but it would relate to those two games mostly in the adventuring-in-an-unknown-universe sense. Basically, it would be something like an amalgation of Starflight, Star Control II, Independence War, and Battlecruiser/Universal Combat, and probably even more.

If I went into detail, though, you'd probably have the longest post this forum has ever seen, so I'll spare you the hassle.

For now, though, I guess I'll have to play Independence War II or something like that for my space adventuring needs...after I finish another game that I'm currently occupied with.
xenoclone
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 06:43:28 am »

Well certainly no one big is interested. I'm trying to write one as an indie/hobbyist. I know games like Weird Worlds are considered to be SC-like. But, ya, it'd be sweet to have a SC style game on XBLA for example

Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 03:53:53 pm »

Omega Race?

I keep my old Amiga on a flash-drive. Tongue

Bluhman
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 09:15:30 am »

Or the freeware, cross-platform Vega Strike.

I tried it. It made me paranoid of space.
Galactic
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 10:31:07 pm »

There is only one Star Control 2.
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 11:21:27 am »

I've tried Freelancer, but I found it more a spaceshooter a la Tyrian (only 3d) than something like an SC game. I am not sure if the game became less linear and more explorery later on though, I never went on...

I hate drugs. Air is the worst one. Breathe it once and you're hooked for life.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 03:31:52 pm »

There is not much of a reason for it besides lack of creativity, but I have found that free-roaming space games fall into either the line of Starflight-like games or Elite-like games, a branch that happened all the way back in '85 I think. For instance, the more popular clones Star Control 2 and Wing Commander Privateer fall into those two categories, respectively.

But, the SF/SC branch is has been much less popular over the years than the Elite/Privateer one, even though our format overall is much more free-roaming and doesn't make the player run a practical space bus or container vessel, shuttling people and junk from one place to another which is alot more mundane than you would think space exploration should be. Probably it is because our games always stick to 2D space flight, which is the one area where we are less realistic versus the other folks.

The really sad part though, is that this whole category is not amazingly popular or big anymore, relatively speaking. So we are a small part of a small whole and that means we don't get much attention from the industry. We basically have to make our own games or play Advanced Rainbow Call of Counter-Terrorism Zombie Mercenary and Spectacular Magic Barbie Pedigree Pony Tycoon and the many other commercial projects that money is thrown at.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length