The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:30:46 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Mycon In Magic The Gathering!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mycon In Magic The Gathering!!!  (Read 2573 times)
Dancing Fungus
*Many bubbles*

Armor always looks cool with extra techno...right?

View Profile
Mycon In Magic The Gathering!!!
« on: January 08, 2008, 06:13:43 pm »

During yet another boredom-influenced odyssey on the internet, I found something relevent to Star Control.
Just take a look at this fungal egg card!

They should make Fwiffo cards too. I know I'd buy one if they did. At least if they were less than a dollar.

Let me know if the card-text is too small. Or if you don't care.

Thrice thy blinded cat hath mewed....
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
Re: Mycon In Magic The Gathering!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 09:11:52 pm »

Collectible Star Control cards would rock.

Dude, whod you get this time?
I got a Fwiffo! What about you?
Sweet, I got a Talana!
Oh damn!!

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:55:07 am »

I'm working sort of on a SC CCG of sorts, call it a non-existent project for now but otherwise I lost the Ur-Quan one after clearing up some files but I still retained the planet card and the Chmmr:

Me and Shiver (with some help from EP) got the rules of the game sorted out though. Still don't like the basic look of the cards..
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:56:42 am by Elerium » Logged
Dancing Fungus
*Many bubbles*

Armor always looks cool with extra techno...right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 05:01:36 pm »

Will there be cards of actual characters from the game, such as Fwiffo or ZEX? And if so, how will they affect the way the game is played? And what do planets actually do?

The Chmmr Avatar card seems vaguely Star Trekish.

Thrice thy blinded cat hath mewed....
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 07:25:50 pm »

Yeah ship captains give bonuses to certain ships, we gather that to field certain races you either need to ally with them by playing political cards and so forth (some races suffer penalties, will defect or hate each other) or another way of doing it is to have certain "decks" assigned so Earthers, Chmmr and Syreen would be in one basket and Shofix, Yehat and Pkunk in another. Set after SC2 after the Matra's destruction however. Fwiffo will be in play if you get the Spathi remnants.

Planets allow you to set up buildings and stuff, colonize them to replenish crew (thinking of SC1), give global bonuses if you build stuff, make starbases (which make ships) etc. For one I thought if you play VUX you can play on your planets a ZEX's Academy card which basically trains young VUX captains in his tactics thus conferring huge bonuses to your fleet and maybe hatred for other forms of life, the high echelons turning ZEX into a hero now that he's dead and suppressing all knowledge of his perversion. With Academy could come unlimited "Fortress Square" and "Dynamic Triangle" tactica cards to play in battle on Intruders which you'd keep at the side of you which you can pull out at any time seperate from the main deck.

Either way the "worlds" are basically in "systems" which can either have symmetrically equal planet stuff, or randomized. Some planets have nasties such as Kohr-Ah thrown into the systems without you knowing about it, others are Rainbow Worlds conferring victory if the player controls all or a certain amount after a few turns, and some are Melnorme which you can trade with them to add cards to your deck. Other ways to victory would be forcing the other guy to surrender via political stuff, and of course conquering every single planet or blowing up every single starbase.

Global resource probably would be Starbucks, Crew, Fuel, RU's, still have to work on that or could come up with interesting differentiates for different races I.e. Mycon might not need the crew resource at all. They'd also get instant colonization too for some worlds but penalties for diplomacy?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 07:27:43 pm by Elerium » Logged
Prowler2885

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 01:45:15 am »

Global resource probably would be Starbucks, Crew, Fuel, RU's, still have to work on that or could come up with interesting differentiates for different races I.e. Mycon might not need the crew resource at all. They'd also get instant colonization too for some worlds but penalties for diplomacy?
So basically, regardless of race, we pay for units/locations/starships using coffee, crew, fuel, or RUs. Right?

But seriously, this sounds similar to San Juan (card game), except with Magic/Star Wars CCG rules mixed in. Sounds nifty. Toss in some dice to work as modifiers/chance/reactions (like reacting to an asteroid from nowhere while fighting, or Pkunk resurrection, or Yehat shields) could make things a little more interesting, though a little more complicated.

If the gears get rolling on this; maybe the gameplay and stories that result would be better than SC3.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length