The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:13:03 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Reconstructed some of the missing Mycon audio... opinions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Reconstructed some of the missing Mycon audio... opinions?  (Read 8601 times)
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Reconstructed some of the missing Mycon audio... opinions?
« on: July 18, 2008, 11:39:06 pm »

I've been messing around with SoundForge, trying to see if I could recreate the missing dialog pieces where the Mycon tell you the location of their homeworld, by copy-pasting bits of existing Mycon speech and using various effect plugins.

Here are two audio files that now correspond to the DOS version text (based on this).
I put them in a spoiler tag just in case - they do contain spoiler info...

(click to show/hide)

What do you think?  Try to pretend you're listening to them in-game for the first time (along with the text), rather than scrutinizing them for evidence of copy/paste... I know it can be picked up here and there.  Not perfect, but perhaps it could work.

V

"Space cannot be measured. It cannot be angered, it cannot be placated. It cannot be summed up. Space is there.
"Space is not large and it is not small. It does not live and it does not die. It does not offer truth and neither does it lie.
"Space is a remorseless, senseless, impersonal fact."
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Reconstructed some of the missing Mycon audio... opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 12:35:25 am »

Sounds pretty good to me. In fact, curiously it sounds better in some ways that Valggar's efforts, and I think he actually got PR3 to say it from scratch.

I'd be happy with this to be inserted in the next UQM version, especially since I have a mate who wants to play it but I wont let him until the mycon thing is fixed.

Even if the quality isn't 100%, it is good enough for a 0.version. It can be improved for the 1.version (whenever that will be!)

Anyway, I guess I'm emploring the core guys to implement some kind of fix ASAP

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 01:24:07 am »

Holy crap, that sounds perfect. Well...at least to me, it does. Good job. Maybe it could be added like an addon. So people, like me, could test this out.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 02:24:23 am »

It's not quite perfect, there's a bit of noise going on - bit way too good not to be used I reckon.

How the heck did you do it?

Shiver

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 03:05:50 am »

The voice is perfect, but there's a bit too much fuzz in these two audio clips.
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 03:44:45 am »

As others have said, voice is create, the sound just needs to be cleaned up if thats possible.

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 03:51:37 am »

It's not quite perfect, there's a bit of noise going on - bit way too good not to be used I reckon.

How the heck did you do it?

Yeah, I've tried to avoid fuzz/noise, but most of it is due to the source speech files (which had been downsampled to 11KHz from the 3DO CD, and further underwent ogg vorbis compression) - anyway, I don't think the noise is much greater than in the existing speech files... hopefully it won't become a problem if it's encoded back into .ogg, though.

As for your quesiton, like I said above - by copy-pasting bits of existing Mycon speech and using various effects.  Grin  Namely reverb, flange and tons of pitch bending.

"Space cannot be measured. It cannot be angered, it cannot be placated. It cannot be summed up. Space is there.
"Space is not large and it is not small. It does not live and it does not die. It does not offer truth and neither does it lie.
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 11:56:51 am »

This sounds good, but the main reason for which my version doesn't sound as good is, I suppose, that I'm not as good at audio editing as you are (so I wasn't able to copy the original effects accurately enough). So maybe you could try something with Paul Reiche's version. (Use the last two downloads -- the "Real Raw" things -- not the others, as the others are already partially edited)

Also, I know that the Melnorme MetaChron is longer, and not so relevant to the plot, but I suppose you could do it even better than this if you tried, as the Melnorme  doesn't have that background noise, and speaks jerkier. (Because I tried fixing that as well, and it was better, though I didn't have the patience to try pitch bending it) It certainly isn't worth it, anyway.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 01:36:58 pm »

VileRancour, are you doing your editing with Audacity by any chance? I'm just wondering how far one can get with this program.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 02:55:41 pm »

Nice job! I don't really mind the noise, but...

(click to show/hide)

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 06:07:42 pm »

So maybe you could try something with Paul Reiche's version.

Woah... didn't even know that this existed!  Thanks.
I tried playing around with this a bit just now, but I can't really get it to sound quite right... probably because he couldn't have used the same microphone and recording environment as back then, as well as the fact that a person's voice changes over the years.  I may try to tackle this further when I have time, though.

And yeah, I've thought of trying the Melnorme's Metachron bit next... it's rather long though. We'll see!

Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 06:13:57 pm »

VileRancour, are you doing your editing with Audacity by any chance? I'm just wondering how far one can get with this program.

I'm using SoundForge 8, but I've heard a lot of good things about Audacity, both on the web and from some semi-professional musicians I know.  Things like this mostly depend on external plugins and on experience, though, so as long as Audacity supports VST or DXi, and you have the right tools and know what you're doing, you should be good to go. Grin

Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 05:22:56 pm »

This is good enough to change the question that should, in my opinion, be asked from "Should this be an add-on?" to "Should UQM include this by default?". Based on bug 327 and bug 983 (and the fact that we need a sticky comment on the forum), there should not be any objections to including this in UQM.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:38:41 pm »

Even better, but I'd still like to try this before it's put into a release.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 10:35:08 pm »

This is good enough to change the question that should, in my opinion, be asked from "Should this be an add-on?" to "Should UQM include this by default?". Based on bug 327 and bug 983 (and the fact that we need a sticky comment on the forum), there should not be any objections to including this in UQM.

Damn straight! Good to hear that Novus, I hope the core team agree with you.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length