The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:09:53 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  StarControl: Behind Enemy lines
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: StarControl: Behind Enemy lines  (Read 39841 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
StarControl: Behind Enemy lines
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:39:42 pm »

Welcome to Starcontrol: Behind Enemy Lines

During the Great War between the Hierarchy and the Alliance, countless battles were fought. The general public is only aware of the heroic fleet battles in which we time and time again routed the heinous aggressors. But a war is not won on brawn alone. We needed every edge we could get, which is where Corridor 9 came in. Working closely with other alliance intelligence agencies, Corridor 9 performed many daring acts of espionage and counter-espionage during the conflict. Hierarchy plans were intercepted, supply lines disrupted and dignitaries assassinated. In order to perform these missions heroes were needed. These brave men, women and creatures penetrated deep behind enemy lines, fighting a shadow war against unspeakable opponents. This is their story.

We’re going to be playing a turn based game here. I’ll fill the role as dungeon master and move the enemies around, and work all the mechanics whilst you have all the fun. The game has not been tried before, so I’ll do my best to iron out any balance or other kinks as we go along. All questions and comments are welcome in this thread, if you think something could be done better, don’t hesitate to suggest. If something is unclear, ask.

Playing the game

The game is turn based. Each player will post their movements and actions for a given turn, and I will execute them on a first post first served basis. If something unexpected happens, such as an enemy encounter or discovery of a new area, the turn will be paused and players will be allowed to use whatever action points they have left to adapt to the situation. Pausing the turn means that you will once again be in a first post first served situation. the player whose turn has been interrupted is not entitled to continue first. All enemy turns will be executed after the players have moved, and end turn results will be posted after this.

The Map

A simulation map will be provided upon which the general environment and units will be shown. I will update this as you progress. It's a no frills map with some beautiful graphics by Dabir and some ugly stuff by me.

Action points

Action points are what make the game go round. Each player starts a new round with two action points. They can be used for several different things. These are as follow.

Moving

Each player can move a set amount of squares each turn. Moving the full amount will consume both your action points. Moving half of the amount will consume one action point. If you use your action point for other things, you may no longer move.

Example: If your movement range is 4, moving 1 square will leave you with two action points, moving 2 or three squares will leave you with one and moving 4 squares will leave you with none. However, if you start your turn by opening a door, this uses one action point and you can now only move 2 squares.

Using items

Using an item such as a medikit, grenade or other will consume one action point. The same goes for opening doors, switching from one weapon to another and picking something up/looting a corpse.

Example: If your movement range is six and you are standing in front of a door, opening it will consume one action point. This way you have halved your movement range to three. You may now move another three steps or use an item/perform an attack with your remaining point.

Giving

You can give items to your teammates or NPCs. giving requires an AP, but the receiving something does not consume action points.

Combat

Each attack you perform (ranged or close combat) will consume one action point. Defensive action is automatic and does not consume points. One attack is divided into several different strikes, and every strike can potentially cause 1 HP of damage. The amount of strikes your attack produces depends on your weapon and its modifiers. Defensive action is divided into parries. Each parry has the potential to negate one strike. The amount of parries you have depend on your level, armour and other modifiers.

The successfulness of a strike or parry will be determined by rolling a six sided dice, as is described below. You may only attack in straight lines, not diagonally.

Strike:    Each strike is determined by a thrown die. The die has two hits (1-2), two misses (3-4), one friendly fire (5) and one bullseye (6). Friendly fire counts as a miss if no friendly unit is in the line of fire. Bullseye is a non-defensible hit. Only players have bullseyes, as the enemy is not equally well trained. For enemy units, bullseye is counted as a regular hit.

Parry:    Each parry  is determined by a thrown die. The die has two successes (1-2), three fail (3-5) and one stun (6). Stun does not cost HP but means that the player loses one action point during the next turn. Stuns are not cumulative; a second stun will count as a hit.

Each successful hit (strike + failed parry) causes a loss of 1 HP

Example: Your movement range is 4, and you begin your turn in front of a door. Using one action point you open the door. This leaves you with one action point and thus your movement range has been halved. Opening the door reveals an enemy inside. If you choose, you can move one step and still have one action point remaining. Or you can use the action point directly. This action point can be used for an attack. Since your weapon entitles you to three strikes,You roll three strike dice and score two hits and a miss. Your opponent is entitled to only one parry die, and scores success. This means that he blocks one of your attacks, but the other one penetrates and gives him -1 HP you have now used up your action points for this turn.

Ranged combat specialities

In ranged combat every weapon has its own range. Some weapons reach as far as you can see, whilst others only affect the immediate surroundings. Ranged weapons consume ammunition, but how depends on weapon type. A ranged automatic weapon will typically consume one bullet per strike dice, while some close combat area weapons will consume one bullet per attack (all strikes). This is specified for every weapon. If an enemy is in contact with you, your ranged strike dice will be affected in a weapon specific way.

You can carry two ranged weapons but only use one at a time. Switching between ranged weapons consumes one action point.

Melee combat specialities

Switching from ranged to melee weapon and back does not consume action points. Moving out of melee range will give your enemy one free strike against which you can’t parry against.

Mobbing

Both you and the enemy can mob opponents. this is done by having several players attacking a single target during one turn. As each player only has a set number of parry dice, increasing the amount of strike dice means you'll have more chances to hit him. In melee combat this can only be done by surrounding the target, but for ranged combat you can opt to fire at a target that is behind one of your team mates. You then run the risk of causing "friendly fire", which will inflict -1HP on your ally.

Using Powers

Powers are psychic attacks which some units are capable of. Using a power normally consumes it for an entire scenario, so use it wisely. Using a power will consume one action point. Attack powers normally require line of sight, but other powers may not. This is outlined separately for each power.

Experience

Experience points are gained by killing enemies and solving tasks. Each kill is worth 1 XP, and tasks are worth a varying amount of XP. Five XP points brings you to a new level, which gives you a special ability of some sort. It may also give you other advantages.

Miscellaneous

Vision

Your characters have a limited range of vision, which is demonstrated by the image below.  Inside this field of vision you can see all characters and objects. Outside it, areas are either unexplored or covered by fog of war.

Fog of War

When a room or area that has been previously explored is no longer in your field of vision, the room turns grey. this indicates that you cannot see any movement inside this area until you've once again got it in your field of vision. If you discover enemy units or NPC:s in a area, and then withdraw, the map will show the place they had when fog of war fell. If they move under the fog of war, you will not discover this before you return to the area to inspect it again.

Mission one

For our first game there are four units available, Human, Syreen, Arilou and Shofixti, but Dabir got dibs on Arilou for providing me with graphics. Ideally I’d like four players, but I’ll settle for a minimum of two persons, each controlling two units. You are free to make up your own name and back story if you like, otherwise I’ll use your forum names or some derivation thereof. Once everyone has picked their figure, I’ll post your stats and equipment in this thread and open a new thread for actually playing the game.

Disqualifications

Playing a turn based game on a forum is going to be a real challenge. I will endeavour to update the turns at least twice during the week and once during the weekend, and let you know if there are any slowdowns. I will expect the players to post their new turns within 2-3 days from my update. If a player does not update his status during an entire week (7 days), another player will be given control over his character. If a player wants to, he can transfer control to another player temporarily. If the turn based system can be tweaked don’t hesitate to suggest things, I will also do my best to adapt it to real circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:06:58 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: StarControl: Behind Enemy lines
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 03:41:13 pm »

So yeah, Dabir will be starting as an Arilou Spook. So, human, Syreen and shofixti are still free. Anyone else who feels up for it post here and let me know what you want to play as. First come first served. Or post comments if you think something seems off or just have something else to tell us that is related.

I'll be back home on Monday evening, so the game will probably start on Tuesday. I'll make a new thread for the actual mission which will also contain the starter map and your personalised units.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:07:03 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:48:06 pm »

I'll play. I'll take the Syreen.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:57 pm »

Excellent.,, meep-eep is our Syreen Squaddie. That leaves Human and Shofixti.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:02:14 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01:29 pm »

Meh... does it have to be a stock Syreen character? I want to play Wubula:

What most people envision when they think of a Syreen, is a young, sexy, skinny blue girl like Talana. Wubula was like that, 20 years and 9 children ago. Now, she's 85 kg heavier and is beginning to turn a bit greenish. When Syra was destroyed, most Syreen women entered the military. Wubula, on the other hand, managed to ensnare one of the few remaining Syreen men, a frail little fellow with several physical handicaps, which was pretty good under the circumstances. Now, with Wubula having done her part for the repopulation of her species, she went to serve in another way, and started military training. There, she surprised everyone, leaving the younger trainees far behind her. It turned out that there's a lot of muscle underneath all that fat, and a lot of air inside that big chest.

P.S. I think you mean "affect", not "effect" ("whilst others only effect the immediate surroundings").

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Son_of_Antares
*Smell* controller

Arioch, I summon thee...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:05:58 pm »

I'll take the Shofixti. Should I provide character info in this thread or PM u or in some other way? And where are the Human and Shofixti stats/items (there was no entry for them in the SC: BEL units/items thread)? Huh

Sukuzu

is one of the greatest living warriors and shword masters of the Shofixti race and was quite eager to join the front ranks of the Alliance when the Great War began. His combat prowess was unimaginable, his bravery unsurpassed, his shwordmanship unmatched; all Shofixti took great pride in Sukuzu...all that before he jumped into Scout cockpit for the first time in his life. It wasn't just the travel from his Homeworld to the Yehat Orbital Training station that made him uneasy, but that strange feeling of weightlessness...it made him feel almost as if he was...what was that alien feeling? Oh, yes - afraid. And when he was encased alone in that small small seat and witnessed as the infinity of that bleak and black Void known as TrueSpace unfolds beneath his paws he felt not just his fur, but whole body shivering like a leaf on the winter wind. He didn't hear his instructor Prkk Kreet when he told him to charge his engines and start his scanners. He didn't see the red light blinking on his command panel telling him that his ship was still attached to the station. He just couldn't stop thinking how the Void was big and the stars so small...so little...so few in numbers...so *orange flash in cockpit* *ship out of control* *vomits* *panic attack* *shipyard proximity alert* *more vomiting* *blessed unconsciousness*...A split second and 2-3 quick debriefings later (not to mention few 10k RUs worth a damage:)  SC Command decided that it was best for all  to recommission Sukuzu from Star Control Space Service to Corridor 9 to serve as a spy until he's done with his spacefaring disease problem.

Char Info: Rather than to abandon service, Sukuzu chose to serve as a spook for the Alliance and try to regain some of his former glory and clear his name of shame it now holds. However his problems are far from being solved, because every once in a while he still loses himself when faced with the infinity of cosmos...for example when his look slips to the window in a starship cantina or when looking at the charts of a really big starmap:) this course of events made Sukuzu overly paranoid and superstitious (due to lack of confidence) but recently, thanks to his successful fear therapy treatment with Yehat warpriests/ Shofixti maidens/ Hunam shrinks, he learned that there are alternative solutions for his problem. Instead of standing frozen and lost in thought or even getting a panic attack, he decided to go frenzy whenever he starts to lose control - it even looks more honorable/brave and warriorish that way:) besides that he's full of glory, honor, moral, witty language/insults and all things furry and Shofixtian as any other Great Shofixti Warrior! Kyaiee! Grin

Appearance: grown Shofixti adult, 3 Shofixti/38 Earthling yrs old (this is a guess, taking their lightspeed fast metabolism into account). The fur is exactly the same as on any Shofixtian except that the basic color is desert-gold-yellow (not the standard brown) and it grows into a mane*. Also: big sensitive ears,  big cunning dark brown eyes, long furry fox-like tail with a black point. Weighs around 50 lbs and stands about 111 cm tall (when walking upright) and is around 170 cm long when walking on all fours (is there any info abouth their w/h?couldn't find any in the wikia  Tongue ). Wears standard Shofixti spy outfit (whatever that may be).

*I know that this doesn't fit with the holy UQM canon, but I always wondered do they all have to be the same?I mean let's face it - they are sexual space mammals with rapid metabolism and an instinctive urge to procreate - there must be some genetic variability on this level.

Gear: *input required*, a Shofixti masterwork mono-shword (approximately same size as a human combat knife, Rambo meets kukri style), flint, small backpack for carrying stuff. Besides that he has (and wears) seemingly endless amounts of amulets, talismans, rings, earrings etc and other protective jewelry that helps him overcome his fear from vacuum of space.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:23:36 am by Son_of_Antares » Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:14:19 pm »

Meh... does it have to be a stock Syreen character? I want to play Wubula:

Not at all, Wubula it is. Once the game thread starts, I'll post your actual characters in that thread. The stats and inventory will probably remain the same, but the background is up to you. You can roleplay as much or as little as you wish, I'll try to adapt to that.

P.S. I think you mean "affect", not "effect" ("whilst others only effect the immediate surroundings").

Whoops, right you are.

I'll take the Shofixti. Shpuld I provide character info in this thread or PM u or in some other way?

Noted, I'll update with the stock stuff/inventory for you tomorrow. Provide character info wherever you like, here or in PM.

That leaves plain old Human, any takers?

What's up doc?
Yetiers
*Many bubbles*

IN MY OPINION -->

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:22:07 pm »

I shall endeavour to participate in this undertaking.
(Translation: I'll play.)

Grünfeld Bach (don't ask)

Grünfeld is a devout (which here is just an euphemism for fanatical) German Neo-Protestant radical. He is the member of a sect who split from Jason MacBride's Homo Deus cult; Bach's sect believes in the superiority of humanity over all other races, equating them all with the spawn of Satan (their word for them is "Unclean"). He was caught by the United Nations Security Force while attempting to place a bomb within the Syreen embassy in Los Angeles; recognizing his abilities, however, and the dire need of the Alliance for experienced operatives, Corridor Nine requested that he be released under the condition that he serves under them in the Great War. In a moment of weakness (which he later rationalized, thinking that his death would lead to no good, while his service would lead to the death of many of the Unclean), Bach accepted the offer, and he is now forced to work alongside a full-alien crew, praying each night that God releases him from this terrible burden.

Fun Fact: Bach likes to dual-wield two pistols, but is terribly disappointed that, for some reason, whenever he tries to grab a pistol with his left hand, the one in his right hand mysteriously slips back to his inventory, and he is paralyzed for three seconds.

Appearance: Bach is in his mid-thirties, and has a buzz cut which reveals a cross tattooed on his head. His facial features and black eyes reveal an authoritarian, dominant personality. His chest is heavily scarred, the result of a grievous burn he suffered early in his service to his sect. He has also painted a cross on his weapon (as part of a ritual in which he consecrated it to God).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:06:17 pm by Yetiers » Logged
Shiver

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 08:39:57 pm »

This looks a bit dice-heavy. A Choose Your Own Adventure style thread might have been easier to pull off. I'll be watching this to see how it turns out.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 11:08:28 am »

Alright, that means Son_of_Antares is palying as a Shofixti Grunt, and Yetiers is playing as a Human Trooper. I'll get the game thread set up this evening or tomorrow, once I'm back home.

A word of advice, you'll need to work together in the game to get very far. Rememebr that you're a team. any rule questions that we need to sort out can be handled in this thread and I'll update the first post if necessary.

Here's something I forgot to post already. You can move through other players, but you can't end your turn on the same spot as someone else. I've rolled some virtual dice to give you priority over who gets a spot if several people picks one at once. Shofixti - Syreen - Human - Arilou. So if Shofixti and Arilou both post turns that end up in the same place then Arilou will have to rethink his strategy.

In your turns, please make the movements actions somewhat easy to read (2 right/east 1 North/up and so no).

This looks a bit dice-heavy. A Choose Your Own Adventure style thread might have been easier to pull off. I'll be watching this to see how it turns out.

Yeah, and the turns are going to be challenging as well. If it really doesn't work I'll move us along to semi-RPG where you just decide directions and actions and we skip the whole counting thing and action points.

What's up doc?
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 04:51:55 pm »

So when do those of us that missed the first wave of recruitment get to take a crack at this? I think it sounds pretty cool, and would love to play.
Son_of_Antares
*Smell* controller

Arioch, I summon thee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 06:14:30 pm »

Quick question, yet important one: can we expect a good role playing experience where character development and story immersion is required and desired, backed up with a nice storyline and background plot, or we're here for a munchkinery of some sort? It's always good to know these things in advance and I wholeheartedly hope it's the former  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:16:23 pm by Son_of_Antares » Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 08:09:40 pm »

So when do those of us that missed the first wave of recruitment get to take a crack at this? I think it sounds pretty cool, and would love to play.

After mission 1 is completed I'll be taking new recruits for mission 2.

Quick question, yet important one: can we expect a good role playing experience where character development and story immersion is required and desired, backed up with a nice storyline and background plot, or we're here for a munchkinery of some sort? It's always good to know these things in advance and I wholeheartedly hope it's the former  Smiley

I've no idea what munchkinery means, but this is what's going to happen. You are going to play a modified version of a boardgame from when I was a kid. Your actions are limited to what has been posted above, moving, fighting, and using things. I've created a level with one main objectives and a few secondary ones, which you will attempt to complete. This is not a traditional RPG in the sense that I will not be posting "You enter a room, description of room, what do you want to do". Instead, you will be moving around of your own volition and dealing with challenges (mostly enemies).

In short, you could call this RPG-lite. I will provide detailed enough descriptions of your surroundings to (hopefully) achieve a fair immersion, and it is up to you how much role playing you want to do. If you want to do pow-wows with your team-mates in character and have in-character arguments that is fine. If you just want to post "3 East, Open Door" that's fine too. I'll adapt my descriptions to your feedback (more/less).

However, since this is a first run of the game, I'm open to adaptation. If the first few game turns prove too cumbersome and the turn system proves way too slow making weeks pass between any events,  we'll change it. It'll mean less structure and more making it up as you go along which is more work for me. But one way or another, we'll play this mission and emerge wiser and hopefully happier from the experience.

Game starts tomorrow troops.

What's up doc?
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 08:20:13 pm »

After mission 1 is completed I'll be taking new recruits for mission 2.

Cool, looking forward to it.

I've no idea what munchkinery means,

Pretty much, RPGer slang for min/maxing, rules lawyering, using OOC knowledge IC, and other behavior designed to "win" a game that really doesn't have any kind of defined win conditions. Tolerated to a greater or lesser (or nonexistent) degree depending on who is running the game and how they feel about this sort of behavior.

Not really sure how that applies here; the rules seem pretty well defined and rigid, unlike many circumstances in more "traditional" RPGs.

You are going to play a modified version of a boardgame from when I was a kid.

From what I've seen, the game mechanics remind me a lot of Space Hulk, or perhaps a bit of Hero Quest. Did I call that one right?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 08:43:15 pm »

Pretty much, RPGer slang for min/maxing, rules lawyering, using OOC knowledge IC, and other behavior designed to "win" a game that really doesn't have any kind of defined win conditions. Tolerated to a greater or lesser (or nonexistent) degree depending on who is running the game and how they feel about this sort of behavior.

Not really sure how that applies here; the rules seem pretty well defined and rigid, unlike many circumstances in more "traditional" RPGs.

I've never really played anything except Computer RPG's so that's new to me. None of that here though, we go by the rules, unless I change them permanently because they aren't working.

From what I've seen, the game mechanics remind me a lot of Space Hulk, or perhaps a bit of Hero Quest. Did I call that one right?

I've never played the first, but the second is spot on. It's great fun in person (or was back then), so let's see how well it works here.

What's up doc?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length