The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:47:40 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  A Reiche child
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A Reiche child  (Read 5293 times)
AriannaReiche
Zebranky food

View Profile
A Reiche child
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:04:00 pm »

Hey this is Arianna Reiche. Just wanted to keep to my every-6-years-or-so-ly expression of support for you guys stirring up a fuss about the game(s). Keep at it. I'm a contributor to Vice magazine and I'm trying to push for them to do a mega-article on SC2. You can find my writing at http://theatrain.typepad.com , and I'll certainly keep you up to date on my publicity attempts for TFB.

Cheers!

Arianna
Shiver

Email
Re: A Reiche child
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:21:08 pm »

I, um... how do you pronounce Reiche? It's been bothering me for a while.
AriannaReiche
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 09:44:18 pm »

I recently got into an argument about this very thing. We've always pronounced it RITCHIE, but I've lived in the UK for the last five or so years, where people are more apt at european pronunciations. So when I tell people that I do not in fact pronounce it the German (technically correct) like RAI-CH-JH-IA, they frown upon me.

But short answer Ritchie.
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:06:02 pm »

Yeah, when Anthony of starcontroller.com linked to an interview with Paul a while ago, and Paul said "Ritchie", too, me and several of the USA people I knew were all rather baffled. Tongue
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 11:43:26 pm »

Hmm... I would not have expected that. But seeing as "Reich(e)" means "rich" (aside from "empire" – "Paul Reiche III" does have an unfortunate similarity to "Third Reich"), I guess the name just got translated too.

Anyhow, welcome back. Don't wait another 6 year to post again.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 03:53:14 pm »

Hey Arianna, got any tips for an aspiring writer who wants to write (possibly for magazines)? Tongue
AriannaReiche
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 04:48:20 pm »

Yep, internships internships internships. They can be tedious and usually are unpaid, but only now am I realizing that the connections I made from interning for the last like two years are really priceless. Track down the features editor of a magazine you're interested in (this is usually a lot easier than you think, try for googling like "@[the magazine you want to work for].com" addresses, or just looking in the masthead in actual mags.

Be really really earnest, and play up previous writing experience you've had. Having a blog helps, as long as you keep it as un-livejournal-ish as possible. Getting  a very classy tumblr and just putting an interesting angle on news stories on a pretty regular basis is usually exactly what editors are looking for in taking on new people.

And also just read read read. Like with going into Vice, I knew it had a very distinct tone, and so I read tons and tons of old Amie Barrodale and Gavin McInnis pieces, and eventually found my voice in light of how they'd established the mag.

Also this whole post is sounding more and more like shameless self-promotion, but I just got a twitter (shudder) at http://twitter.com/ariannareiche , and feel free to email me at ariannareiche@gmail.com with any more questions.

Good luck!

SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 02:56:22 am »

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it you (Arianna) who had the "So when did you and grandma get married?" part in the game?  Grin

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
psydev
*Many bubbles*

Why don't all races have point defense lasers?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:44:57 am »

Welcome to our fanboy/girl sanctuary on the web!

Have you played Star Control 2 (to its completion), Arianna?

When did you first learn of the game (and how cool it was) and when did you learn it had a cult following? Do you respect your dad's imagination after discovering he created such a piece of gold?
Shiver

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 06:20:05 am »

(aside from "empire" – "Paul Reiche III" does have an unfortunate similarity to "Third Reich")

This was the basis of my question. Glad to have that sorted out.
AriannaReiche
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:43:23 pm »

Yep, absolutely did do the end credits for 3do -- was the first of several vocie acting gigs for TFB games.

You know I've played SC2 countless times but always hit a wall and refuse to ask dad for help, then usually give up for about 6 months and come right on back. I've never beaten it, but really really I cannot overstate how the game impacted out upbringing, in a good way. The game was sort of a family mythology, and both my parents instilled in me and my brother the belief that being creative and passionate about what you do absolutely outweighs all else. I love running into people who have played the game. It almost always impacted them in a really fundamental way as well, and it makes me really proud to be in a family that was part of that.

xx
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:52:09 am »

You're right, which is why most of us here think that a game made almost 20 years ago is still one of the best games out there.

Another question: I'd imagine that the SC2 developing group was pretty close-knit. Maybe I'm wrong. Did you, or your family, have much contact with the other voice actors in the game? If so, were some of them as strange as the characters they portray?

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
Anthony
*Smell* controller

Star Control Lives!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 06:21:10 am »

I'm a contributor to Vice magazine and I'm trying to push for them to do a mega-article on SC2. You can find my writing at http://theatrain.typepad.com , and I'll certainly keep you up to date on my publicity attempts for TFB.

Hey Arianna.  I hope that you succeed in convincing them to do a mega-article about Star Control.  It deserves all the publicity it can get.

psydev
*Many bubbles*

Why don't all races have point defense lasers?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »

I think Arianna would get marriage proposals if she convinced the creators to make a worthy SC3.
AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 09:21:50 pm »

I don't think it's the creators that need convincing.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length