The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:05:09 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  UQM - Extended and non-standard joysticks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: UQM - Extended and non-standard joysticks  (Read 2688 times)
Justin Z
Zebranky food

View Profile
UQM - Extended and non-standard joysticks
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:49:48 pm »

Hello,

I am probably missing something simple, but when I try to run UQM with my RetroUSB Super NES pad, which uses very unusual button assignments, I run into trouble.  Under 0.6.2 I simply had the following lines in my keys.cfg file:

Menu-Cancel: joystick 0 button 6
Menu-Select: joystick 0 button 7

This would allow me to go into menu mode with button 6, and then button 7 was both my "select" button and my "fire" button actually.  I played the whole game through this way.  However, nothing like this appears in the new flight.cfg file in 0.6.4, and the formatting is completely different anyway.  I've done a couple of "shot in the dark" guesses at it but nothing has worked.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

Thanks as always,

Justin
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: UQM - Extended and non-standard joysticks
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 11:58:48 am »

In current SVN at least, you can create a file called override.cfg in your UQM config directory (i.e. where flight.cfg is) with the following content:
Code:
select.6 = STRING:joystick 0 button 7
cancel.6 = STRING:joystick 0 button 6

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Justin Z
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:44:14 pm »

Thank you.  I'm sorry to report that did not work.  I created the file override.cfg in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\uqm and copied the text directly from your post.  I also tried doing select.5 and cancel.5 since I'm using the fifth input option just on a hunch, but no dice.

The remixes are not working in full either.  Some of the music is there, such as the solar system music and planet orbiting (although I can't recall if I heard all of them, but at least none was an obvious .mod), but the hyperspace music, for example, is the game's .mod, even though I have all the .rmp files placed, and just for thoroughness' sake I copied the remix packs over from a fresh 0.6.2 installation where I tested and got the correct music.

Maybe I should be bug reporting this?

Thanks again.

Edit: A quick note--rewriting the uqm.rmp file by replacing every instance of the phrase ".mod" with ".ogg" and then manually placing the .ogg files from the remix into the content package (and renaming them where necessary) seems to have fixed this as a workaround.  I've only tested the space music since it's simple to get to.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:03:09 pm by Justin Z » Logged
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 03:53:43 pm »

Thank you.  I'm sorry to report that did not work.  I created the file override.cfg in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\uqm and copied the text directly from your post.  I also tried doing select.5 and cancel.5 since I'm using the fifth input option just on a hunch, but no dice.
Sorry. Checking the SVN logs, it seems override.cfg was added in revision 3159, and UQM went to version 0.6.5 at revision 3108. In other words, UQM Extended 0.6.4 doesn't have this feature yet. There is a file called menu.key in the content directory/package that you could try adding these lines to instead.

Justin Z
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 08:42:38 pm »

Still no luck.  I guess I'll just have to deal with playing through on the keyboard, or find a pad that doesn't have bizarro button assignments.

Thanks for the attempts, I really appreciate it.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:00:22 am »

It seems that UQM EE 0.6.4 was made right in the middle of the rewrite of the configuration files, and hence uses a combination of the old and new syntax. You still need to edit menu.key, but the added lines are supposed to be:

Code:
menu.cancel.6 = joystick 0 button 6
menu.select.6 = joystick 0 button 7

The added lines should be just like the last two lines in the file, but with the number 5 changed to 6 and the joystick and button numbers changed; if these lines are not there, you're probably editing the wrong file.

This works on the current (11-Aug-2010, 0.6.4) release of The Ur-Quan Masters - Extended Edition as compiled from the source code on OpenSUSE 11.3 with a Logitech Dual Action gamepad; the button marked "7" becomes "cancel" in the menus and "8" becomes "select".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:11:46 am by Novus » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length