The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:58:44 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  How are the starmap zoom keys changed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How are the starmap zoom keys changed  (Read 9080 times)
Angelswrath
Zebranky food

View Profile
How are the starmap zoom keys changed
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:37:14 pm »

Please help me. My computer does not have a num-pad and I need to change the keys to something useful. Which file do i edit to do this and where do i find it.    Grin
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: How are the starmap zoom keys changed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:15:27 am »

First, RTTFAQ. We can't help you find stuff without knowing what operating system you use and you should be able to find what you need in the FAQ. You should also tell us which version of UQM you are running and where you got it. Also, when reporting problems with keys, it would help to know what sort of keyboard you are using, particularly the layout. In this case, note that many laptop keyboards use part of the main keyboard as a numerical keypad if Num Lock is on; would that help you?

In UQM 0.6.2, you can edit keys.cfg in your UQM settings directory; just change or add definitions for Menu-Zoom-In and Menu-Zoom-Out.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Angelswrath
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:31:31 pm »

First, RTTFAQ. We can't help you find stuff without knowing what operating system you use and you should be able to find [it would help to know what sort of keyboard you are using, particularly the layout. In this case, note that many laptop keyboards use part of the main keyboard as a numerical keypad if Num Lock is on; would that help you?

In UQM 0.6.2, you can edit keys.cfg in your UQM settings directory; just change or add definitions for Menu-Zoom-In and Menu-Zoom-Out.

Thank you. It worked perfectly. I was able to remap = and - to zoom in and out. As for my keybord its a MacBook that does not have any numpad support  Sad , thanks Steve Jobs. I kind of feel a little dumb not putting 2 and 2 together. Thank you for your kind help.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 03:26:42 pm »

Do you have a 'fn' key? That should allow a variety of numeric keypad-style controls, including pageup and pagedown. It basically turns the right half of the keyboard into a numeric keypad.
quine666
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 04:47:15 pm »

The instructions given here for fixing the keymap on newer MacBooks no longer apply to 0.7.0.

I spent a few hours searching the net and looking at code and finally figured out that if you put a file called "override.cfg" in your .uqm directory you can reassign the zoom keys.  For example:

zoomout.1 = STRING:key [
zoomin.1 = STRING:key ]

Assigns "zoom out" to "[" and "zoom in" to "]".

Note that "keys.cfg" no longer exists in 0.7.0 and the syntax has changed.

Also note that the "fn" key does not generate keymap keycodes on newer MacBooks -- this feature was discontinued several years ago.

I'm posting this here in the hope  that other MacBook users can spend their time playing Ur Quan Masters, rather than searching the internet for nonexistent documentation on how to fix this problem...

Cheers,

-andrew

CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:14:37 pm »

Mac laptops do not have the "fake" numeric keypad that most non-Mac laptops have, accessed via the fn key. The old PowerBooks did, I believe, but since then it's been removed for some reason I fail to comprehend.
spinacci
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 06:36:21 pm »

The instructions given here for fixing the keymap on newer MacBooks no longer apply to 0.7.0.

I spent a few hours searching the net and looking at code and finally figured out that if you put a file called "override.cfg" in your .uqm directory you can reassign the zoom keys.  For example:

Also note that the "fn" key does not generate keymap keycodes on newer MacBooks -- this feature was discontinued several years ago.

I'm posting this here in the hope  that other MacBook users can spend their time playing Ur Quan Masters, rather than searching the internet for nonexistent documentation on how to fix this problem...

Cheers,

-andrew

Hi,

Where can I find the .uqm directory?  I tried looking at the Contents but I don't see a directory there and I also tried using the terminal but could not find a .uqm directory.  I tried looking for .uqm directory through the Finder but none was found.

EDIT: Found it.  it was under the user directory.  Whoohoo! 

thanks
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:21:24 pm by spinacci » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 12:02:48 am »

Mac laptops do not have the "fake" numeric keypad that most non-Mac laptops have, accessed via the fn key. The old PowerBooks did, I believe, but since then it's been removed for some reason I fail to comprehend.

I had a mac laptop with that at the time. My new one has a fn key, but it doesn't make a fake numeric keypad. Irritating.
spinacci
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 05:47:31 am »

I spent a few hours searching the net and looking at code and finally figured out that if you put a file called "override.cfg" in your .uqm directory you can reassign the zoom keys.  For example:

I'm posting this here in the hope  that other MacBook users can spend their time playing Ur Quan Masters, rather than searching the internet for nonexistent documentation on how to fix this problem...

Cheers,

-andrew

Hi,

Where can I find the .uqm directory?  I tried looking at the Contents but I don't see a directory there and I also tried using the terminal but could not find a .uqm directory.  I tried looking for .uqm directory through the Finder but none was found.

EDIT: Found it.  it was under the user directory.  Whoohoo! 

thanks

In case someone is playing with the MegaMod 0.8.0 Rev 4, the zoom in and out on the Mac is the fn key + arrow up/down.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length