The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:49:53 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Earth as a 1g spacecraft, and change of time perception with age.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Earth as a 1g spacecraft, and change of time perception with age.  (Read 5325 times)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Earth as a 1g spacecraft, and change of time perception with age.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 05:30:23 pm »

Yeah I really don't care that a director can make it look however they want, what matters is why they all make it look the same way because that signifies that there's a specific ignorance about relativity that's common. It's not a miracle of fiction, it's an emblem of misunderstanding.

Star Trek style warp drives ignore relativity. Obviously.
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 07:15:20 pm »

Yeah I really don't care that a director can make it look however they want, what matters is why they all make it look the same way because that signifies that there's a specific ignorance about relativity that's common. It's not a miracle of fiction, it's an emblem of misunderstanding.

Star Trek style warp drives ignore relativity. Obviously.
Not nessecerily "obviously", because there's hyper space and warp bubbles which would be fine with relativity, there's nothing limiting how fast space itself can move, but its still not completely accurate. Theoreticallu space can expand at angreat enigh rate tyat photons dont actually travel anywhere, and If I remembered correctly a scientist came up with a formula to reduce your amount if exotic matter needed for a warp drive to a few metric tons, and then NASA began looking into that possibility. I think the main problem is that you still need some amount of negative energy.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:17:21 pm by FakeMccoy » Logged
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:22 pm »

Lightspeed technology doesn't actually exist. The sfx crew and the director can make it look like whatever they like. This is the miracle of fiction. Ceterum FakeMccoy excilia est.

*or* everyone's copying Star Wars.
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 04:19:48 am »

Lightspeed technology doesn't actually exist. The sfx crew and the director can make it look like whatever they like. This is the miracle of fiction. Ceterum FakeMccoy excilia est.

*or* everyone's copying Star Wars.
You mean Star Trek which existed years before Star Wars? Kind of unlikely so many different things would copy the same one thing if they are trying to be unique, it's more likely they assumed that's how it would look according to physics, just as it's more likely for people to assume you can add relative velocities together past the speed of light. 
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 05:39:47 pm »

Fake, Alcubierre and its descendants have nothing whatsoever to do with Star Trek warp drives. That is why I qualified it as "Star Trek style warp drives". I stand by my statement.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length