The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:49:07 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!  (Read 20482 times)
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
Re: The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2017, 04:36:25 pm »

Made a new Human combat icon for the 3DO menu. Finally found a usable fist to match the original.

I just don't like the human faces on the icons. They look completely out of place to me.

I'm also trying my best at this moment to remove the Cyborg eyes so I can put my own.
Sad half circle, full circle, and angry half circle is what I'm trying to go for.

Also fooling around with the .ani file to see if I can get rid of the redundant Exit Menu and Games icons. EDIT: Yep, it works. No more redundant icons.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:11:18 pm by Kohr-Ah Death » Logged

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2017, 06:33:21 pm »

I really got to disagree with you there. How is it out of place?  We got a cyborg face and a human face, and of course he is in a in universe star control uniform.  The fist,  I just don't like it.  Even in the original, it's a pretty poorly designed icon. It looks stark, bare and just doesn't use the space very well.  And I mean, what are they implying with that icon?   I feel the exact opposite,  with the rest of the HD Icons, you have impeccably designed icons, full of color and detail, and just a fist has very little of either.  I feel like the only way we are going to match dczanick's work is to mash together his work in new ways.  Like the new fight icon.

But of course you have final say, but that's just how I feel on it.

Regarding the android eyes,  I thought that was what you might have in mind, but I wasn't sure.  I'll see what I can do.  But your eyes from scratch might be better.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:36:49 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2017, 06:46:39 pm »

I really got to disagree with you there. How is it out of place?  We got a cyborg face and a human face, and of course he is in a in universe star control uniform.  The fist,  I just don't like it.  Even in the original, it's a pretty poorly designed icon. It looks stark, bare and just doesn't use the space very well.  And I mean, what are they implying with that icon?   I feel the exact opposite,  with the rest of the HD Icons, you have impeccably designed icons, full of color and detail, and just a fist has very little of either.  I feel like the only way we are going to match dczanick's work is to mash together his work in new ways.  Like the new fight icon.

But of course you have final say, but that's just how I feel on it.

Regarding the android eyes,  I thought that was what you might have in mind, but I wasn't sure.  I'll see what I can do.  But your eyes from scratch might be better.

It's not really about what I like or dislike, it's about how to get as accurate and faithful I can get to the original icons without going overboard.

If I could recreate the Cyborg head from the originals but in a higher resolution I would.
That would be going overboard. I've already spent too many hours doing this than I wanted to.

In regards to the QS portals, I've found out that they're already animated in vanilla HD except for the main 17-20 portal and the Arilou's planet.
I'll see about squeezing in the code for it after I'm done with the 3DO menus.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2017, 06:59:18 pm »

Yeah,  but it's also about functionality and I strongly feel the new one conveys the message of the functionality it represents better.  Copyrighted images and ideas: fight club, terminator, serenity are one thing.  In this one case, I don't really mind that it's not exactly the original. Cyborg eyes are a challenge.  I understand you wanting to move on.

Good luck on the portals
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2017, 07:21:45 pm »

Just a quick mock-up but was something like this what you had in mind?

Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2017, 08:05:38 pm »

Yeah,  but it's also about functionality and I strongly feel the new one conveys the message of the functionality it represents better.  Copyrighted images and ideas: fight club, terminator, serenity are one thing.  In this one case, I don't really mind that it's not exactly the original. Cyborg eyes are a challenge.  I understand you wanting to move on.

Good luck on the portals

We could always have more custom menus.

One that strictly adheres to the 3DO icons and one that enhances them along with the less distracting frame.

The more additions the better.

I still haven't checked to see if these icons scaled down well enough to use in 2x.
Or if I have to figure out if they are aligned properly in the first place in 2x.
Chances are they will be misaligned and too small for the flashing rectangle.

The mockup looks good, but your cyborg seems more annoyed than angry.  Cheesy

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2017, 08:30:23 pm »

LOL!    I suppose If  i make the eyes more even it will be ok. Grin

[EDIT]
There done, and you can see from the image above as I just replaced the file. Sorry about the wait. Had other things I need to take care of.

If you need a download link. Here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2iys2oa3e8cv8cq/playmenu-034.png?dl=0

If you give me a bit of time, i'll redo the super melee ones.
[EDIT2}
Sorry, I'll have to get those done after work tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:57:31 am by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2017, 07:07:10 am »

Pretty good.

Though, I'm about 90% complete of recreating the robot.

Just need to do the mouth and eyes. Surprisingly simple really.

EDIT:

How does this look?

Of course, only after I have completed this 1024x1024 cyborg could I have simply applied the semi-circle eyes to the original.
I'll tell you one thing, the eye-lid technique won't work on 2x.

May have to go with plain Cyborg head and wings like the 3DO version.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:05:39 pm by Kohr-Ah Death » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:12 pm »

So this is technically off-topic, but thanks to this thread I finally have a working version of the ship spins. \o/ I could never get them to work before, possibly because some of my filenames are in uppercase for some reason.

I've also mirrored the 3dovideo package on my site. Probably not important, but surely doesn't hurt.

(Also for the record, I tested it on the vanilla UQM, not HD or the MegaMod.)
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2017, 02:07:30 am »

How does this look?

Of course, only after I have completed this 1024x1024 cyborg could I have simply applied the semi-circle eyes to the original.
I'll tell you one thing, the eye-lid technique won't work on 2x.

May have to go with plain Cyborg head and wings like the 3DO version.

I can tell you worked hard on them.  You did a good job. It's really not easy work, I'll vouch for that.  But when all is said and done, I got to prefer my modifications do dczanick's.  It just has more color.  Why won't it work for the 2x?  and what's wrong with simply down scaling the 4x ones?

[edit]
Just remember that when downscaling, the 2x quit is 10 pixels shorter then the other 2x quit ones.  This is because the uqmhd 2x quit one was shorter, for whatever reason....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:45:59 am by darklord42 » Logged
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2017, 01:12:57 am »

I need to apologize for not getting done what I said I would yet.  Really sorry about that.  I just started a job and the commute has been a good hour and a half.  I get home and just spend the rest of the time with the wife and kids.   I'll definitely get them for you this weekend.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2017, 02:45:49 am »

Naw, that's fine. You have no obligations to this whatsoever.

This is a passing fancy to me like it always has been. I only get to it when I'm bored.

I can tell you worked hard on them.  You did a good job. It's really not easy work, I'll vouch for that.  But when all is said and done, I got to prefer my modifications do dczanick's.  It just has more color.  Why won't it work for the 2x?  and what's wrong with simply down scaling the 4x ones?

[edit]
Just remember that when downscaling, the 2x quit is 10 pixels shorter then the other 2x quit ones.  This is because the uqmhd 2x quit one was shorter, for whatever reason....

The eyelid thing won't work for 2x because of the pixel density (are those the right words?) or I should say the lack of pixels. At the size of 2x the eyes will run together with only one or two black pixels between them.

As for downscaling I've got the ANI tool to move the images around so they fit properly. Much easier than editing the .ani files manually. Doesn't really matter what the image size is as long as you have it aligned properly.

So this is technically off-topic, but thanks to this thread I finally have a working version of the ship spins. \o/ I could never get them to work before, possibly because some of my filenames are in uppercase for some reason.

I've also mirrored the 3dovideo package on my site. Probably not important, but surely doesn't hurt.

(Also for the record, I tested it on the vanilla UQM, not HD or the MegaMod.)

Glad to hear that worked out.

But the 3DO videos were meant to be compatible with vanilla UQM.
That way everybody could use them regardless.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:53:33 am by Kohr-Ah Death » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2017, 12:06:28 am »

Hey, finally got around to it.  I'm quite pleased with the results

Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2017, 03:27:25 pm »

They definitely look better than what I created.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2017, 04:34:47 am »

I know it's been awhile but I gave the combat icons a good once over.

The originals were pretty dirty so I cleaned them up, transferred your changes over to them, and added red pupils to the rest of the cyborgs.

This also means the playmenu part is done. I'm not willing to go any further with it. I may, or may not downsize it for 2x.

EDIT:

Cleaned up your Melee Menu option and added pupils to all the cyborg variants.

Even fixed Weak Cyborg so that he isn't sitting underneath the blue filter.

http://imgur.com/a/uvcBN

EDIT:

Ran into my first problem downsizing the images, the edges go transparent when resizing. Yay.
Looks like I'll create another frame template for the 2x icons.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:06:11 am by Kohr-Ah Death » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length