The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:50:36 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!  (Read 20485 times)
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2017, 02:32:50 pm »

I'm almost done with a 10.6 compile,  Yours is 10.7 correct?
[EDIT] never mind, the classic buildscript isn't detecting Apple [rez] or the dev tools....despite HD one finding them...It's not like there is anyone really using 10.6 anymore since evreyone else is dropping support for it.  Even firefox.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:37:40 pm by darklord42 » Logged
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2017, 02:51:34 pm »

You're right!  gcc compile worked   Grin .  My laptop is clearly slower then your machine (and I have to workarround VirtualBox quirks),  but we did eventually get the same result.
[EDIT]

There is one minor thing that annoys me,  but I can fix it myself.  The "Quit" icon for the 3do style pictograms, doesn't quite work with the rest of the pictograms,  Especially with the white highlight.  How about I edit those and you can put them in one of the remix packages?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:55:58 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2017, 03:06:42 pm »

You're right!  gcc compile worked   Grin .  My laptop is clearly slower then your machine (and I have to workarround VirtualBox quirks),  but we did eventually get the same result.
[EDIT]

There is one minor thing that annoys me,  but I can fix it myself.  The "Quit" icon for the 3do style pictograms, doesn't quite work with the rest of the pictograms,  Especially with the white highlight.  How about I edit those and you can put them in one of the remix packages?

Let me see how the image is called first in the RMP.

Unfortunately you can't do if, then, else statements in the RMP otherwise replacing content would be extremely straight forward.

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2017, 03:15:16 pm »

I had already checked the images, It's the same size as the rest of them.  The only difference is the content with the image cutting into the Grey/Text area.  I would think I could put anything there so long as it was the same type/size.
At least that's the theory.  Maybe I'm wrong...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:18:04 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2017, 03:23:16 pm »

Getting it to autoload though would take coding it into setup.c

Not to mention you would have to do it to 4x and 2x, and package up all of the playmenu-**.png files along with the accompanying playmenu.ani

To make it work in one package I would also have to add things to igfxres.h and modify globdata.h with an if, then, else.

EDIT:

You can start to see how the content becomes one huge pain in the ass.

EDIT2:

I'd say just add it to the 2x and 4x packages, but then it would render the idea of a mod that you can drop in to your existing installation kind of moot.

Because one of my biggest pet peeves about some mods is that you practically have to download and install the game all over again.

EDIT:

I say go hog wild. Edit all that you can muster and when you're finished I can package it up and add support for it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:40:48 pm by Kohr-Ah Death » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2017, 04:53:41 pm »

What a pain...

Well, I made 2 fixed images.  The 2x one is sized differently then the other UI ones, because the original one was and the game was made to work with it.  Fortunately everything needed fit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdx00lg8jx9i0xt/UIUpdate.zip?dl=0

[EDIT]

UGGGH,  I found out my gcc compile crashes on windowed mode...Is yours the same?  And the old clang one worked fine... This is bad...
[EDIT]
Great yours didn't crash, so whatever you're doing, lets keep with that Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:31:09 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »

Build UQM with SDL_Image 1.2.10 and SDL 1.2.14
Then when it's done and packaged, open up the UQM.app and replace the framework SDL 1.2.14 with SDL 1.2.15

This solves the crashing in windowed mode.

Try to find as many things as you can to edit. Small things, big things, things nobody will ever see but bug you immensely.

My only hope at this point is that when the UQM team release 0.8.0 that it will be easy to convert it to HD.

EDIT:

You can go one step further with these images and overlay that beveled edge the other icons have onto it.

Also, what do you think about adding in those animated QS portals?

I think it would be a neat addition if I can get the game to work normally without them as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:15:42 pm by Kohr-Ah Death » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2017, 06:44:34 pm »

Between Remix and your work, so far we got all the things I noticed over the years (which freaking is fantastic btw!).  But I'll keep an eye out.  What do you think with the pictogram UI stuff, does that all the text look centered to you?  Maybe it's just me, or where it's located on the screen, but some of it looks like it's to the right a bit.

Great Idea with the bevel!  I'll give it a shot. I think It's quite possible with what I have to work with.

Animated QS portals would be great If you can manage it!

The best part your work is that it CAN be up to date with what UQM people are doing.
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2017, 08:26:45 pm »

I successfully redid the quit images.  These will work well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdx00lg8jx9i0xt/UIUpdate.zip?dl=0

Also I found out in the 2x set, in the star map, it incorrectly says "star map" rather then "Star Search"  That one is a little harder to fix and make look good... Stupid text

[Edit]

Actually it was easier then I thought.  Tweaked it a bit too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6lemnxskd9j2h6/submenustarmapkeys-000.png?dl=0

[Edit2]

Tweaked it some more.  Actually the text was placed rather sloppily.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:00:44 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2017, 09:28:59 pm »

Tweaked it some more.  Actually the text was placed rather sloppily.

There's always that little bit extra that you overlooked or overthought

These look great!

I'll be looking into how to get the QS Portals to work without breaking everything in a few hours.

What I think I'll do is slap all of this stuff into a rmx-graphics package along with the spins and nebulae.
I'm sure nobody will have a problem with this. Or, maybe I should finally separate it into 2x and 4x?

If there is enough content to justify splitting it up then I guess I'll do so, it'll make it easy when it comes to auto-loading.
I only put everything in one file because I wanted to make it easier on the user.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2017, 09:42:47 pm »

Well it's not like the remix pack will be that large or cumbersome to download.  I mean if it's easier for you to work with, then that's a good reason.  But splitting them up for their own sake I'm not sure is necessary.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2017, 10:48:57 pm »

Splitting them up would afford me more breathing room in the code.

I can simply set each pack to load depending on the resolution instead of having to add in 1x, 2x, 4x values in the code and use if,then,else depending on the resolution and package loaded.

You'll see. I actually think it'll be easier since most people will go for 4x anyways.

EDIT:

So far so good with splitting them up into resolution packages.
My first fear was that I was going to lose the 3DO videos again. Last time I tried this no matter what I did it always used the PC slides.

EDIT:

Well I'm going whole hog on something I've been wanting to do for quite awhile.
When it comes to the 3DO style pictogram menus, I feel, the person in charge didn't really grasp what the
3DO version was doing.

It's not supposed to be a styled frame around an image, it's supposed to look like it's popping out of the HUD like a button.
Same with the font above the pictogram. So I'm going to try to recolor the frames so they fit with the gray background, worse comes to worse
I'll redesign the frame.

One of the reasons why I don't play in 2x or 4x. Catches the eye too hard.

EDIT:

Oh, I didn't realize I would have to overwrite your hard work on the quit pictogram.

I'll add mine as a separate thing and keep yours as a hard fix for the rmx-graphics package.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:27:29 am by Kohr-Ah Death » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2017, 04:37:39 am »

Hey, if it looks good, I'm all for it  Grin  
The reason why I like UQM-HD is that I happen to really like DCZanick's interpretation of the original art.  It's not just HD versions of the sprites,  it has this 50's style to it that I feel really compliments the nature of the game (particularly as it is an old game in style not just in age), as well as really flesh out the character represented in the original sprites and voice work.  Which is what I feel an HD remake should do.  It's not like the HD remake of monkey island, there is some real artistry displayed there. And I just love looking at it.   The UI elements I think you are right, could use a little fine tuning.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:50:25 am by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2017, 05:47:06 am »

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love all of the updated aliens and 99% of the ships.

The Kohr-Ah ship could have been done more faithfully. It looks like a mix of a Shadow / Vorlon craft molded into the shape of a Marauder with a big HAL9000 eye.
But I'm a big fan of the Kohr-Ah so of course I'm going to critique a derivative pretty hard.

I'm a picky person.

On the menu front, I've got a great looking pop-out frame based on the 3DO version, but a problem I've noticed is the flashing square is actually bigger than frame by 1 pixel on the right.
I don't have a clue where the flashing square is made, it sure isn't in with the other PNG files nor is it defined in the ANI file.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2017, 06:05:37 am »

I wonder if the flash is all code...and if all our images are one pixel off horizontally....
I can't wait to see your new frames.  I can't say I'm absolutely in love with the old ones either, but they were serviceable.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length