The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:00:58 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Age related education
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Age related education  (Read 18264 times)
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Age related education
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2017, 10:04:12 pm »

And here is the digital media:

http://www.archania.org/educational_resources.html
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2017, 02:50:32 pm »

Your learning material has nothing in mandarin or spanish. Why?
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2017, 12:46:07 am »

I had someone helping me to translate some of my documents into Portuguese. But now I have modified them a lot, so I need to translate it again. It is probably best to translate my documents when I am more or less finished.

And the learning material. Well... I guess there could be some similar programs in Mandarin and Spanish, or it could (or it is already) be translated to does languages.

Anyhow, I would need help from people to translate. If you want to help me translate for free into Dutch, you are welcome.
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2017, 03:26:45 am »

I had someone helping me to translate some of my documents into Portuguese. But now I have modified them a lot, so I need to translate it again. It is probably best to translate my documents when I am more or less finished.

And the learning material. Well... I guess there could be some similar programs in Mandarin and Spanish, or it could (or it is already) be translated to does languages.

Anyhow, I would need help from people to translate. If you want to help me translate for free into Dutch, you are welcome.

I am willing to translate, I'm just wondering why your education focuses on only the western cultures of the world.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2017, 11:08:00 pm »

I am willing to translate, I'm just wondering why your education focuses on only the western cultures of the world.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of insight into what learning materials they have in China, since I have never lived in China. They probably have some there, which could be included, but I don't know about it. Sad

Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of insight into what learning materials they have in China, since I have never lived in China. They probably have some there, which could be included, but I don't know about it. Sad

Me neither, but I think itś bad to focus on one culture if you want to teach kids stuff. Then again, maybe your goal is to teach kids in your world view instead of an open mind to all world views that exist in the world. Because your material doesn't include any religion or sex education for example Wink. Or different government types than democracy.

If you want to add more games to the list I recommend Life is Strange, Everything, Minecraft, Civilization. Civilization teaches you about history while being fun to play, Minecraft encourages creativity and building, Everything is philosophical game based on eastern philosophy, and Life is Strange is an emotional rollercoaster that teaches kids to embrace nihilism.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:55:45 pm by Scalare » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2017, 08:21:55 pm »

Me neither, but I think itś bad to focus on one culture if you want to teach kids stuff. Then again, maybe your goal is to teach kids in your world view instead of an open mind to all world views that exist in the world. Because your material doesn't include any religion or sex education for example Wink. Or different government types than democracy.

Information about religions and other types of government is (or should be) included in topic called "Learning from history" at the last page. I forgot about the sex education. They actually have a course about it at coursera.org:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/reproductive-health

If you want to add more games to the list I recommend Life is Strange, Everything, Minecraft, Civilization. Civilization teaches you about history while being fun to play, Minecraft encourages creativity and building, Everything is philosophical game based on eastern philosophy, and Life is Strange is an emotional rollercoaster that teaches kids to embrace nihilism.

I have played through life is strange, and it is a good game, although I am not sure about how much people can learn from it. Life is strange: Before the Storm, just came out btw (http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/554620/). I might include it and "Dreamfall Chapters" somewhere, since they are good non-violent games. Civilization 5 is actually already included on the last page.

I need to investigate more about the educational benefits of minecraft and other games, such as the one called Factorio (http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/Factorio/).  

Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2017, 02:02:08 pm »

I think before the storm is not so much to learn about as the original life is strange series.

Life is strange has atleast taught me the following;
- even if you have the best intentions in the world, you can't save everyone (various people dying no matter what)
- you can't dwell on choices, you have to make them and stick with them
- if you are yourself you will gain respect from eveyone, even if you're not that popular
- daguerreotypes Wink

Anyway, about learning from history: That sounds arrogant. We aren't the new humans V2.0, better than all the humans from the past that made mistakes. And us enlightened scientifically studied people aren't better than people who only finished a basic education and go to church on sunday. Thatś the mistake that we keep on making as humanity, that we're better than others living on different latitudes/longitudes behind imaginary borders that powerful people thought, and that people who believe in a fictional entity have a lot in common with people who believe in p < 0.05. Focus on what we have in common, and especially with people of opposing beliefs; focus on the good parts.

As you may note I am arrogant as well. I seem to think that world peace is possible if everyone achieves the same level of open mindedness as I have. So don't take this all too seriously.
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2017, 04:53:53 pm »

aand about nihilism. it destroyed me for a while, thinking that whatever best intentions I might have life was pointless.
But then I saw this video, and it kinda touched me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14
So perhaps the kids thee days might learn something from it.

Speaking of learing.. what do you think about Elon Musk's initiative to make a human/electronic interface?
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2017, 11:29:33 am »

Anyway, about learning from history: That sounds arrogant. We aren't the new humans V2.0, better than all the humans from the past that made mistakes.

Genetically we are very similar to all humans that have lived before, but the "pool of collective knowledge" is bigger now than anytime in the past. But it doesn't necessarily matter so much if people don't care to accumulate information from the large pool of knowledge we have available today. It is of course possible to be equally ignorant today as in the past.

Anyhow. I have been searching for historical documentaries, and I have found a lot. So apparently people can learn a lot of human history just from watching documentaries.

http://www.archania.org/educational_resources_for_age_18to21.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:33:17 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2017, 09:58:49 pm »

I found a super interesting TV show from 1978 called "Connections", which I am watching right now....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078588/

https://friday87central.wordpress.com/category/pbs/connections
/

Since this show is hard to purchase from anywhere today, here is the pirate-link: https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4990510/James_Burke_-_Connections__(BBC_-_Series_1__2_and_3)

Amazing how many interesting series I stumbled upon when searching for historical documentaries...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:17:11 am by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2017, 06:03:53 pm »

Another update:

http://archania.org/learning_motivated_by_curiosity_and_a_sense_of_accomplishment.html
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2017, 06:52:12 pm »

They'd understand what it says, but would they understand why it works any better, though?  There could be a more useful diagram for that.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2017, 08:20:19 pm »

They'd understand what it says, but would they understand why it works any better, though?  There could be a more useful diagram for that.

Maybe this one?

Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »

Maybe this one?

Speaking about teaching kids the pythagoran theorem. Ask them just after learning it how a carpenter would calculate the length of a crossbeam between 2 beams that are perpendicular to eachother.
They will all immediately bring out their pythagoran theorem and calculate it.
But they never realize that a carpenter just puts a length of beam that is about the same size to the crossbeam, and then just marks where he needs to cut it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length