The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:54:30 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Cognitive Biases
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Cognitive Biases  (Read 10375 times)
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
Cognitive Biases
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:14:36 am »

I am starting to write a new article about cognitive biases. Not because I feel like I have so much original to say (most have been discovered by psychologists already), but because I feel like this is so central to all my other theories.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:54:10 am by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Cognitive Biases
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:31:30 pm »

Okay. Here is an early draft of the article:

http://www.archania.org/the_never-ending_battle_against_our_cognitive_biases.html

I didn't find any bias for this, so I invented one myself and called it "The illusion of homogeneous perfection".

I made this script that simulated the average value of coin tosses all up to a 100 000, and you can see, it is quite a bit of difference between 100, 1 000, 10 000, and 100 000. It doesn't get really close to an average value of 0.5 every time, before around 100 000 tosses. So imagine how much better a study based upon 100 000 individuals is, compared to a study based upon 100 individuals. At 100 coin tosses, it looks like you can get an average value anywhere between 0.65 and 0.35, which is quite a lot of uncertainty.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:20:12 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 07:13:28 pm »

When I think about how harmful different drugs are, I often think about what condition people seem to be in that are using the drugs. Now I am thinking that maybe we can judge how harmful ideologies are according to what condition people that believe in the ideologies seem to be in. For example, many religions seem to limit how people develop their understanding. But even agnostic or atheistic ideologies can be intellectually limiting unless they focus a lot on overcoming cognitive biases. One of the most healthy types of ideologies a person can have, seems to be something like what Eliezer Yudkowsky has (the author of lesswrong.com), since it focuses so much on overcoming cognitive biases.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:21:06 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 03:04:04 am »

EY is't exactly the author of LW. He was a founding member and wrote the original 'sequences' which form its core, but it's really basically a Reddit+Wiki for rationalists.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:55:53 am »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:14:47 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:08:27 am »

EY is't exactly the author of LW. He was a founding member and wrote the original 'sequences' which form its core, but it's really basically a Reddit+Wiki for rationalists.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:10:58 pm »

Did you mean to say something in response?

Also, science can be and indeed usually is done without Bayes rule.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:36:33 pm »

Also, science can be and indeed usually is done without Bayes rule.

Bayesianism is a much more accurate description of ideal Science, than Karl Popper's falsificationism. Popper’s central idea that scientific theories should make bold falsifiable predictions, seems to be nicely captured by Bayes’ theorem, since it gives more weight to a hypothesis the more unexpected an occurrence is without the hypothesis. Bayesianism is also not a binary approach to Science, like Karl Popper's falsificationism.

That most scientists don't even know about Bayes' theorem is scandalous. Scientists probably make many, many , stupid mistakes just because they don't understand Bayes' theorem.  I am not interested in what can be and usually is done by scientists. Most scientists aren't exactly flawless. I am interested in what gives the best description of ideal Science, and Bayes' theorem certainly gives a much better description than Karl Popper's falsificationism, or any other theory of Science.

So we find that many phenomena in the cognitive sciences, plus the statistical methods used by scientists, plus the scientific method itself, are all turning out to be special cases of Bayes’ Theorem. Hence the Bayesian revolution.

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/oceanography/researchers/francois/RESEARCH/RESEARCH_NOTES/SCIENTIFIC_NOTES/Popper-as-an-exception-to-Bayes.html

A number of scientific virtues are explained intuitively by Bayes' rule, including:

• Falsifiability: A good scientist should say what they do not expect to see if a theory is true.
  • Boldness: A good theory makes bold experimental predictions (that we wouldn't otherwise expect)
  • Precision: A good theory makes precise experimental predictions (that turn out correct)
  • Falsificationism: Acceptance of a scientific theory is always provisional; rejection of a scientific theory is pretty permanent.
  • Experimentation: You find better theories by making observations, and then updating your beliefs.

In a Bayesian sense, we can see a hypothesis's falsifiability as a requirement for obtaining strong likelihood ratios in favor of the hypothesis, compared to, e.g., the alternative hypothesis "I don't know."

https://arbital.com/p/bayes_science_virtues/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:18:39 am by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:37:27 pm »

I have started writing on this article now, about how science branched off from mathematics with conditional probability and Bayes' theorem.

http://archania.org/how_science_branched_off_from_mathematics.html
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 11:37:56 am »

I have added a section about the fallacy of rosy retrospection to my page about cognitive biases:

I think this cognitive bias heavily influenced the last presidential election in the United States. It probably also heavily influenced the decision in the United Kingdom to leave EU.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:32:27 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 04:51:55 pm »

I think the more important problem in the last US election was more along the lines of 'don't trust people who don't criticize themselves'.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 05:13:09 pm »

I think the more important problem in the last US election was more along the lines of 'don't trust people who don't criticize themselves'.

That seems to apply equally much to Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, so I don't know how that would affect the election in favor of Donald Trump.

In general, we should of course have presidents that are more self-critical. Not a lot of politicians are self-critical however.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 09:49:17 am »

You don't hear her criticize herself out loud, no, but there are visible symptoms of the process going on. Like, say, not running her mouth all the time.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 04:01:18 pm »

You don't hear her criticize herself out loud, no, but there are visible symptoms of the process going on. Like, say, not running her mouth all the time.

I agree. Anyhow. Trump's slogan: "Make America Great Again", seems to appeal directly to the fallacy of rosy retrospection.

Here is a quote from the book I am reading about intellectual curiosity and the scientific revolution, which shows how retarding this retro way of thinking can be.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:24:57 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 06:30:00 pm »

I think that with the election of Trump as well as with Brexit the main issue was that there are a lot of dissatisfied unheard people in these countries, and they just got ignored by the anti-brexit and US democrat party, because 'if you vote for brexit/trump you're dumb, close minded and stupid'. By putting ourselves above them we created an easy win for a person that DOES speak to them.

I think youtuber vihart explained this better than I could.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td5xFxiEuQQ
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length