The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2017, 11:47:01 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: UQM development migrated from Subversion to Git

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderators: Michael Martin, fossil, Lukipela)
| | |-+  Cognitive Biases
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Cognitive Biases  (Read 327 times)
Zanthius
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: Cognitive Biases
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 10:46:05 pm »

I think youtuber vihart explained this better than I could.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td5xFxiEuQQ

Very good video. Seems like a very nice and intelligent woman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi_Hart). Would love to have people like her working for me, with teaching mathematics and music to children in my educational facilities.

Anyhow. Her conclusion seems to be that support for Donald Trump correlates most strongly with old age. Then it is of course old people suffering from the fallacy of rosy retrospection. This cognitive bias should also increase as we get older, since we strengthen the cozy memories from the past more and more as we get older.

The best way to fight against the fallacy of rosy retrospection, is probably by keeping the mind occupied with learning new things all the time. Then we won't have a lot of time for retrospection, and we won't fall into the trap of romanticizing the past.

I must admit, that I have suffered quite a bit from this bias myself, for example by romanticizing the first time I played Star Control 2 as a child. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:13:16 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 03:45:57 am »

And ever since the election they've been realizing that he didn't really speak for them either...
Scalare
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:58 am »

And ever since the election they've been realizing that he didn't really speak for them either...

That's politics. Smoke and mirrors.
It is not about idealism or about improving the world or country that you live in, atleast not on those levels. It is about power and remaining in power.
Don't get me wrong, there are people who work through idealism and generally don't participate in malicious, shady acts to gain more power, but by the fact that they don't do 'whatever it takes' to gain power they never make it to the level that the US Presidency is at.
In the end I guess it comes down to choosing which puppetmaster controls our strings, with their strings being controlled by hidden puppet masters of their own.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »

That model doesn't seems optimized for seeming worldly and cynical rather than for working well. What sorts of malicious acts brought Obama or Carter to power?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:00:46 pm by Death 999 » Logged
Zanthius
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 10:55:15 am »

Here is a business idea:

Make a TV-series about cognitive biases, where each episode investigates a specific bias.  Wikipedia lists more than 180 cognitive biases (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases), so you should have enough material for a lot of episodes.

If this is done well, I am sure you could make a lot of money from it, and it would be educationally beneficial to humanity.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:26:04 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length