The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 24, 2018, 08:42:27 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: UQM development migrated from Subversion to Git

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: Michael Martin, fossil)
| | |-+  My take on Stardock
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: My take on Stardock  (Read 1622 times)
Serosis
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
Re: My take on Stardock
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2018, 11:07:57 pm »

What I really don't understand here is why people, none of whom have seen all the contractual paperwork (it's possible even Brad hasn't), insist that they already know the legal status of this IP.

It's simple. You don't make bitchy public blog posts when you know for a fact that you can take it to court and win.
Then send DMCA takedowns of all 3 Star Control games on GOG and Steam, only to have that reversed by Stardock.

And after that you go radio silent for a month and a half. (And counting.)

In my eyes it looks really bad for P&F.

The artist formerly known as Kohr-Ah Death.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Frogboy
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: My take on Stardock
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2018, 04:08:04 am »

Just to be clear (note, Iím not a lawyer):

Stardock does NOT own the classic characters or lore.  As far as we are aware, Paul and Fred do.  However, the characters, lore, and ships were exclusively licensed, in perpetuity, to Accolade and in turn Atari and then Stardock.

Thus, Stardock could have used them for Star a Control:Origins but didnít for a number of reasons including Paul asking us not to.

But Accolade always owned Star Control. It was always Accoladeís  game. Paul licensed content that made up Star Control (itís not a publishing agreement, itís a licensing agreement) but it was never owned by Paul or Fred.

That doesnít diminish their contributions in the least. But the IP situation, while messy when it comes to the actual characters, is not confusing when it comes to Star Control itself.  The federal and I ternstion trademark rights to the Star Control franchise are owned. Y Stardock. And a trademark is not about the name of the product alone.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:10:33 am by Frogboy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length