The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:30:40 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Inadequate Equilibria
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Inadequate Equilibria  (Read 2242 times)
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
Inadequate Equilibria
« on: March 27, 2018, 03:38:42 pm »

I just listened to podcast 116 by Sam Harris, where he speaks with Eliezer Yudkowsky about AI. In the end of the podcast they speak about his new book (Inadequate Equilibria: Where and How Civilizations Get Stuck), which seems very interesting. I know that you like him Death 999. Have you read his latest book? I just ordered it now.

BTW. This concept reminds me about a graph I made when talking to you about a year ago:

But of course, it can also be related to why people are using Windows instead of Linux, and so on.

I think my under-title also is related to this:

Optimization of Governance, Education and Research

So I think maybe I will write a bit more about it on the front page.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:20:58 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Inadequate Equilibria
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 06:03:33 pm »

I did read that book. I agree with the review of it that said it seemed like it was two books, the first of which was great, and the second of which was kind of all right.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:34:11 pm »

I did read that book. I agree with the review of it that said it seemed like it was two books, the first of which was great, and the second of which was kind of all right.

I have now written this on my front page:

Traditions and social environments that give us unwise incentives, make us prone to behave in many suboptimal ways. Countries might for example use lots of money on military expenditures, which might seem like a good idea if other countries are doing the same. However, if we didn't feel threatened by other countries, we could use that money on other more constructive things, such as education and health care. Similarly, it might seem like a good idea for researchers to publish articles in prestigious journals, since that can make them more famous. However, access to articles from those journals is often very expensive, and if universities didn't need to use so much money on access journals and databases, they could use that money on other more constructive things.

In order for our global society to become more prosperous, we need to motivate right behavior. We might to some degree influence the behavior of future generations through education. We might however be able to facilitate this even faster if a large amount of adult people get better informed about these things. This website is an attempt to create a framework for such a transformation.

https://www.archania.org/

BTW. What do you think of Sam Harris?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:22:38 am by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 07:24:54 am »

I only really heard of him in the atheism vs religion debates. IIRC, both of the times I've heard of his having an opinion on anything else, I've disagreed, but as you can see from my only being aware of two such, I haven't been following closely.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 09:08:04 am »

I only really heard of him in the atheism vs religion debates. IIRC, both of the times I've heard of his having an opinion on anything else, I've disagreed, but as you can see from my only being aware of two such, I haven't been following closely.

Ok. He seems to get along pretty well with Eliezer Yudkowsky in podcast 116 about AI. I also find podcast 119 and 120 interesting, and none of them are about religion. I must admit however, that I have only recently started listening to his podcasts, and so far I have been maybe more impressed by his guests than by him.

He is going to have a new conversation with Jordan Peterson this summer. I think I am going to write Sam Harris an email, with tips about how to argue against Jordan Peterson's religious convictions. Last time they met in podcast 67, his arguments against Jordan Peterson's religious convictions were way too general. In order to destroy Jordan Peterson's religious convictions, I think he needs to address his specific claims, rather than make it into a general criticism of Christianity.

In the past, there have been tons of Christian revivals, so apparently humans are extremely prone to engage in this. I guess that every time there is a revival, people feel like all the criticism of Christianity from the past is invalidated. This is however not the time for another Christian revival, based upon Jordan Peterson's convictions. Now is the time to move forwards, not backwards.

I have now sent him an email with some hints about how to argue against Jordan Peterson's religious convictions.  Wink

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:42:20 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:06:48 pm »

Want to reword that from 'attack X' where X is a person?
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:39:19 pm »

Want to reword that from 'attack X' where X is a person?

Done. Sorry for that you had to wait so long. I was in a birthday to the daughter of one my friends.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 08:11:11 pm »

I have made a new graph to show how we are stuck in suboptimal equilibria.

https://www.archania.org/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length