The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:08:08 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Operating Systems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Operating Systems  (Read 2291 times)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Operating Systems
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 01:37:24 pm »

There are ways to break that up - making it easy to release on all platforms, for instance.

Singular is equilibrium, btw.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 01:59:39 pm »

There are ways to break that up - making it easy to release on all platforms, for instance.

Yes, there are probably ways to get out of these inadequate equilibria we are stuck in, but it is something worth thinking about and work towards.

Anyhow, I actually see much more games coming for Linux now, so I think the ice is starting to break.

Singular is equilibrium, btw.

Of course...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:01:01 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 04:46:27 pm »

And the game developers think in exactly the same way. Since most people are using windows, they will make most money on focusing on making games functional for windows.

This is actually related to the new book by Eliezer Yudkowsky about inadequate equilibria:

...and I just had a small-world moment; I know Eliezer's father, Moshe.
lostsoul
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 07:17:01 pm »

ive tried different methods of switching os only to realize 2 things about them...
windows is a glorified game launcher
linux is a glorified browser launcher

in a dual boot setup where i work and browse in linux and game in windows...i find that if i need to look up some gaming related question while gaming i have to shut down my game...boot into linux...browse, find my answer...shut down linux boot into windows...continue gaming...not practical to me.

software solutions ie virtualization don't cut it either ... cant game in a vr windows ... and browsing and working is just easier on windows itself.
now a hardware solution might be were its at...if we could get motherboards that would or could switch between an os as easy as i switch between tasks in windows that would work.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 08:57:03 pm »

in a dual boot setup where i work and browse in linux and game in windows.

Lots of people do this, and I used to do this before when I was more into gaming. Now I find more and more games available for Linux, and I don't play as much as I did earlier. So I have only Linux now.

The solution is of course to make all games available for all operational systems, and this can be done by making the game engines more compatible with all operational system. As far as I know, both the Unreal Engine 4 and the Unity engine support a lot of different operational systems today, so hopefully we will see much more games become available for many different operational systems in the future.

I think that in order to prevent the industry from making people buy one Playstation, one Xbox, and one Windows computer, we should have laws which force game developers to make games available for all (or most) operational systems. It is not very environmental friendly for people to have one Playstation, one Xbox, and one Windows computer, if they could have played all of the games on a Linux computer.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:07:18 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length