The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2018, 06:18:13 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: UQM development migrated from Subversion to Git

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderators: Michael Martin, fossil, Lukipela)
| | |-+  Broken American Narrative
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Broken American Narrative  (Read 290 times)
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Broken American Narrative
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 12:17:35 am »

Any superhuman general intelligence. Or even approximately human, if it's cheap enough to copy itself all over the place.

Science itself might actually be considered a superhuman intelligence, since there aren't any human beings that know all of Science. Science also seems to evolve faster than what any single human being can keep track of. Even if you read all the biggest journals, from all the biggest sciences, you are only going to see a small fraction of everything that is going on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:28:41 am by Zanthius » Logged
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 06:10:46 pm »

I have been watching Jordan Peterson's course called "Maps of meaning".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Xc2_FtpHI&t=810s

I find it very interesting. Here is some of what I have extracted so far:

Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 03:51:05 pm »

You can apply Bayesian statistics also to political beliefs, and then political beliefs should converge, even if we live in different evironments. That our beliefs are becoming increasingly segregated must imply that we are more governed by confirmation bias than by honest Bayesian inference.

I agree that social media technologies have augmented confirmation bias. And thereby made compromise more difficult.

But I would argue that if you need to compromise in the first place, there is already a more fundamental problem at work.

Any superhuman general intelligence. Or even approximately human, if it's cheap enough to copy itself all over the place.

Science itself might actually be considered a superhuman intelligence, since there aren't any human beings that know all of Science. Science also seems to evolve faster than what any single human being can keep track of. Even if you read all the biggest journals, from all the biggest sciences, you are only going to see a small fraction of everything that is going on.

I have to agree with Zanthius insofar as defining any weak AI (including any purely software AI that requires no revolutionary new hardware paradigm) as a superhuman intelligence would necessarily also define many cultures and codified thought and behavior patterns like science as the same.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:26 pm »

Here is another video by Bret Weinstein. This guy seems to be really wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpb-COhbMIM
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length