The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2018, 09:14:57 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Yes. We have good news! Well, that is to say, we have no news. But it is good news.

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  I've taken the first steps towards Japanese localization
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I've taken the first steps towards Japanese localization  (Read 334 times)
Serosis
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
I've taken the first steps towards Japanese localization
« on: August 18, 2018, 02:53:56 pm »

Basically I've been staring at my Japanese import of SC2 long enough and now I want to try something really difficult.

I've made the main menu with the help of DivineEternal1 and Astrobia on the UQM Discord: https://streamable.com/sjkv3

And I've also created a voice package that can drop right in to UQM: https://streamable.com/kcf9p

On top of which I've packaged up the the JP-3DO Videos and am serving them on my site as of this moment: http://files.serosis.net/Localization/Japanese/uqm-0.7.0-3dovideoJP.uqm

UPDATE: Now serving the localized audio along with a new title card, and main menu: http://files.serosis.net/Localization/Japanese/uqm-0.7.0-3dovideoJP.uqm

The actual hard part comes from either extracting the Japanese script from the 3DO package or writing it down.
And deciding whether I want to add subtitles.

Oh, and adding the Japanese "alphabet", as it were, to UQM.

EDIT: Updated links

New title card:                                                                       New main menu:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:13:15 am by Serosis » Logged

The artist formerly known as Kohr-Ah Death.

Get your MegaMod HERE
DivineEternal1
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: I've taken the first steps towards Japanese localization
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 02:35:37 am »

I'm looking forward to seeing your work. It was fun helping with the menu. Could have used simpler Japanese on the buttons but I like the way it looks. Also got a cool band name, Environmental Clamor, out of one of my kanji mistakes  Grin
Serosis
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 03:27:17 pm »

I've emailed Serge because I ran into a problem unpackaging the 3DO materials, so for now this is put on hold.
The voices and the video are there for all and work with UQM. if I can find some other way to extract the script I'll start it up again.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:08:54 pm »

I wonder if there are scripts out there for all the Japanese VA. In case there's a need for re-recording something.

Check dA for some of my non-art ... http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/
Beru
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 04:55:26 pm »

Hi everyone, first time posting here!

I wonder if there are scripts out there for all the Japanese VA. In case there's a need for re-recording something.

If Serosis ever decides to add Japanese subtitles, I can definitely lend a hand, having reached a good level where a simple transcription of texts shouldn't be much of a problem as long as the audio quality isn't completely awful. This would obviously take a while though.

As for re-recording the voices, my accent is decent (very decent in fact, if you'll forgive me for bragging a bit lol), but I don't know that it's good enough to pass as native. I like to dabble in voice acting, so I shouldn't suck too much, but yeah, I'm not a native speaker nor a professional voice actor by any means.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 10:20:31 pm »

Seems to me like some of the aliens might not suffer from sounding foreign, whichever language you are speaking in, as long as it's spoken fluently.
orzophile
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 01:42:30 am »

Ur-quan voice sounds great. Was the game previously available in Japanese or are you having to translate it?
PRH
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 03:54:29 am »

Ur-quan voice sounds great. Was the game previously available in Japanese or are you having to translate it?

Yes, of course it was. SC2 had a Japanese release for the 3DO.

The subtitles have to be recreated manually, though, since the 3DO version had no subtitles.
Serosis
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 09:18:32 pm »

Correct, though the biggest hurdle will be getting a proper Japanese font into the game.
After that things can be translated and inserted at will.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length