The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:02:53 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  What do you want added..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: What do you want added..  (Read 23421 times)
sc fan

Email
Re: What do you want added..
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2002, 06:02:12 am »

I would really love to have network melee play!

That was really the best part of the game after beating it a couple times Smiley

tactless
Zebranky food

Is this one of those me-being-wrong moments?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2002, 01:44:37 am »

First of all, these improvements should be split into single player and multiplayer categories. Also, this switch needs to be incorporated:
--emulate=[PC/3DO]
This switch would be a quick way to set the options just like a certain version - PC (MOD music, no speech, perhaps some other changes to make it more like the PC version) or 3DO (OGG music, speech). The rest of the switches would add to and/or override that switch. At the very least, this will quiet down all of the don't-change-a-thing advocates. Every other change to the game should be disabled by default but accessable through the commandline switches and, eventually, a config file (and an editor for it).
On to my suggestions:

In single player:
Hyperspace time compression, as mentioned, is important.
A twist on the journal idea: Have stars that were specified in conversations blink on the starmap, perhaps with some floating text to let you know their significance.
A conversation backlog, IRC style, would be nice.

In multiplayer:
Network play over TCP/IP, complete with a tournament mode, fraglimits, timelimits, and chat. If more than 2-player combat turns out to be feasible - Team Deathmatch and CTF. Hey, if it works in THPS, why not Star Control? Grin
Smooth turning radius - optional, of course, as the lack of this provides a good defense mechanism. In network play, the server should obviously have control over this.
Extreme tweakability - Scorched Earth style. Gravity should be modifiable, for instance. Simple tweaking of ships - recharge rate (in all of its forms), crew complement, speed and maneuverability - should also be possible. All of these should be modifiable in-game, especially when creating a server.
Handicap system - if a newbie is playing against a veteran, the veteran should have less crew, energy, speed and maneuverability (or only part of those, selectable before the match) than the newbie. This can be done by boosting the newbie's stats, lowering the veteran's, or both.

Those are my ideas for now. It would be nice to see some of those make it in after the stable release.

If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate.
Zileas
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2002, 02:02:02 am »

Some sort of journal/notes system similar to what baldurs gate II has, etc... Or mayhbe something to look through past conversations you had with various entities?
Francisco
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1! It's *happy*!!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2002, 01:09:20 pm »

A sort of in-game journal or log that the player can use in the full game. Preferably, different journals for the different aspects of the game.

One journal would keep a log of all the conversations the player has had up to the point he/she is playing in the game. Alternatively, to make it more simple, just keep a record of the clues that were thrown the player's way during the conversations (coordinates, vague descriptions/directions, etc).

Another log would keep a record of the planets the player has visited and scanned. This would allow the player to keep track of what resource-rich planets he/she skipped because it was beyond the current capabilities of the lander, and allow him/her to return and reap the goods later on after upgrading the lander.

Finally, how about a log to record how the player played a certain game? Record the order of events he/she took part in. A game summary. Players could trade and compare how they played a game. Maybe we could hold competitions based on this...

... I have this notebook that I dedicated to Star Control II. In it I recorded clues the aliens gave me, coordinates, and the resource planets I skipped. Currently, there are two game sessions recorded there.. but it'd be convenient if I didn't have to use it.. and I'm sure this will help attract newbies to the game, instead of discouraging them by the frustration of not knowing what to do next. I mean what "normal" person would want to have to take notes while playing a computer game?... The easier we can make the playing experience be, the more likely the genius that is Star Control II would be experienced on a wide scale. Consider this: if UQM became insanely popular, surely Toys for Bob would make a sequel. THE sequel we've always wanted Smiley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 01:25:41 pm by frostay » Logged

Life may be difficult, but it's in all of us to make it easier for eachother. HELP! the ORZ are after me!!
Dave Morse

Email
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2002, 11:44:24 pm »

Tactless made an interesting suggestion: "Smooth turning radius".

I think he means that instead of 12 quantized directions ships can face, have infinate resolution.  One effect of this would be, that in the Ur-Quaan-Human matchup, the earthling would come under fire sooner, since he can't hide in the dead zone between UQ turning angles.  Obviously all the ships would need rebalancing, and their relative strengths would change a lot.  

This "infinate angle resolution" can be implemented by making the ship spirte into a texture map and rotating it.

I actually did a similar thing with my personal re-implementation of Armor Alley.  The results were ... pleasurable.   Wink
tactless
Zebranky food

Is this one of those me-being-wrong moments?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2002, 01:54:23 am »

About that smooth turning radius - I was at first under the impression that it was already there in the 3DO version... looks like it wasn't. I actually played SC3 before SC2 (never finished SC2, at that), and I thought the smooth turning radius was pretty cool. Again, I must stress that this should be there as an option. Implementing it using a texture would be a good idea, but does this work in unaccelerated SDL mode?

I would like to make another addition to multiplayer: An SC1ish strategy game would be cool. Including all of the specified improvements to multiplayer combat, and as many ships as can be cranked in there.

If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate.
Evil_Sheep
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2002, 04:13:36 am »

An option to disable the time limit somehow would be awesome...
Shivam
Zebranky food

Pkunk-ra

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2002, 05:44:19 am »

without the time limit, you no longer have starcon2.
Diogenes' Dog

Email
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2002, 01:49:27 pm »

Personally, I'm against a smooth turning radius.  Not that my opinion has any real sway, but I think it just messes up ship balance too bad.  In particular, it makes much harder to fight a big, slow ship with a small, quick ship.

And hi Zileas. Wink

-dio
TD
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2002, 01:58:29 pm »

Quick save and load buttons  Smiley
Mage

Email
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2002, 09:33:36 pm »

Perhaps this has been mentioned earlier, but if so please take this as increasing demand, but I would like to reassign the keys for gameplay.  Pressing ESC to fire and left CTRL for special in super melee is annoying.  Likewise, spacebar to shoot and right ctrl for special in the game is also annoying and I frequently confuse the two.  Lastly, ESC should be the emergency warp, the "+ & space" is ludicrous and forces you to shoot everytime you want to warp, possibly making you kill that shofixti.  
Mage

Email
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2002, 09:36:16 pm »

Just to add to my previous post, ctrl + esc in super melee = minimizing window in win2k.  Not pleasant.
Parker
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2002, 10:04:17 pm »

Right Shift and control work too..
Mage

Email
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2002, 12:10:30 am »

Oops, well, scratch that criticism then...
Zeroarmy
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2002, 03:19:47 am »

Right Shift and control work too..

Yeah, but pressing the shift button 5 times in a row turns on my stickkeys, so I end up having this little box come up everytime I try to play melee with a Supox (that's the only ship that I have problems with esc and control). And I hate to turn it off for just a few minutes of melee.  :-/ Oh well, it's not like I can't wait for the next version (can't use the mycon podship and some others have problems, so I don't really want to bother with melee as is).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length