The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum

The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release => Starbase Café => Topic started by: Lukipela on March 17, 2010, 08:10:09 pm



Title: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on March 17, 2010, 08:10:09 pm
As always, there is a ruckus in the younglings hut. Makaki and Tanaki have gotten into a loud argument regarding the nature of honour. Setanka and a couple of others are playing tag. The air is filled with noise, but it is a happy kind of noise. It’s the sound of young Shofixti growing up.

Suddenly, the curtain in front of the hut door is pulled aside. Three elders stride in, and the noise immediately dies down. Setanka, slow as ever, is the last one to notice the visitors as he bumps into one of them. The elder lifts him up and looks at him critically.

“You are brash and young!”, the elder shouts at the quivering Setanka. “If you were outside the hut, things may have gone quite badly, you miserable excuse for a Shofixti!”

He begins to shake Setanka back and forth while speaking in a calmer voice. Somehow that makes it worse.

“You are almost adult you miserable runt. Soon, you will exit this sad excuse for a hut and by the all father, if you do not shape up by then I will show you every face of pain myself! A Shofixti is always aware of his surroundings! A Shofixti does not run around like a decapitated chicken!”

With a swift throw, he sends Setanka flying. The hapless youngster smacks against the far wall of the hut, and falls to the ground. He whimpers slightly. The elders turn to look at you.

“Younglings of the third hut! Tomorrow you will have seen three moons and your childhood will come to an end. You know the lore. Leave this hut by dawn and do not return during the next three suns. When you come back, you will be adult Shofixti.”

The elders leave without any ceremony.

As soon as they have left, the air is buzzing with excitement. Finally! You’ve spent your entire life in this hut, playing and training during daytime and learning at night. Every day, you have waited for the moment when you would be allowed to leave the younglings hut and take your place in the clan. And now the time has finally come. You are all excited, even Setanka though he is still a bit dizzy from his fall. You discuss where to go and what to do during your banishment. Every Shofixti must go alone, but there is no harm in discussing the alternatives together.

That night, you have a dream. This is unusual, as the nights are usually times of learning. You are not used to this kind of luxury, to be allowed to waste time during the night. In your dream, you are flying far above the younglings hut. You can see the entire Island, the place the clan calls home. Suddenly, you hear a voice in your head. So much for being alone.

“There is a cave in the eastern mountains. It hides many strange things, but also plenty of danger. If you go there and live, you will return to the clan with a marvellous story to tell. To the west, by the great pier, a small boat has been hidden in the rockfall. With it you can sail out from the island towards great adventures.”

As you hover far above the Island, both places begin to glow. Slowly the glow spreads from the places along the paths, until it reaches the younglings hut. You memorize the paths, unsure which is the right one to take.

Suddenly, you wake up. It is dawn, but the other younglings are still asleep. It is time for you to leave. The question is, where should you go?

1.   The Cave sounds exciting.
2.   The Sea is my destiny!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Gekko on March 17, 2010, 10:59:44 pm
2.   The Sea is my destiny!

I feel like sailing.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: RTyp06 on March 17, 2010, 11:52:54 pm
Yar ye shipmates!


edit: Had to make my choice a little more clear ;)


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alvarin on March 18, 2010, 12:53:07 am
Sea... Isn't it wet and stuff... Not a chance!

Cave, on the other hand, could be fun for hunting!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Draxas on March 18, 2010, 04:45:33 am
Everyone knows the best adventures are to be had in the deep places of the world. To the cave!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Zieman on March 18, 2010, 08:02:44 am
Wonder what those strange things in the cave are - let's check it out!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Death 999 on March 18, 2010, 03:29:41 pm
Let's go find some red flowers so we can berserk better when the time comes! Let this be a cave story!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Angelfish on March 18, 2010, 07:22:34 pm
The Sea!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on March 23, 2010, 05:11:43 pm
Caves are dank and dark. They are no place for a freedom loving Shofixti of the clan! The sea on the other hand, is a place of mystery and danger. It wouldn’t be half bad to come back with an amazing story and make all the other younglings jealous. The others are still asleep, so you sneak out through the door and into the world for the first time ever. The Village around you looks just like you expected. The houses are where you’ve been taught, but this early there are no Shofixti out. A strange sound makes you flinch and you realise that isn’t quite true. A few Braves are standing guard, but they blend in so well that you’d never have noticed them had one not just sneezed. Under their watchful eyes you leave the Village and head west, towards the sea.

It is a beautiful day for adventure. The sun has only just risen, yet it is warm outside and a light breeze makes your fur move in an altogether pleasing fashion. After only a few hours of walking on well trodden paths, you arrive at the small beach. Just as the dream promised, a small boat has been stowed away and filled with supplies. You pause to reflect on this. You briefly wonder how many of your friends have had similar dreams. There are probably packages such as this put out in many places to aid the younglings on their quest. You smile as you drag the boat into the shallows. Your society may be hard, but it is not cruel.

As you set out, the wind blows through your fur. It’s a wonderful day for sailing and you are content to let the wind move you westwards. Though you have no destination in mind, you feel certain that you are on the right path. The first day of sailing is not eventful. this close to the island you still see small rocks and tiny islands sticking up all over, but none of them seem to offer anything of interest. As nightfall comes, you secure your boat to a small rock and sleep well under the stars.

The next morning you feel cold and chilly. Sailing doesn’t seem like much of an adventure any more, but there’s not much else to do but carry on. As the day passes you start leaving most small islands and rocky outcrops behind as you leave the archipelago and approach the open sea. This is exciting in itself, your people rarely venture this far out. Surely some form of adventure will be waiting for you here!

After a few hours of sailing the open sea you see a small rock sticking out of the sea. As you approach, you see that someone is sitting on it. The creature has blue skin and from afar there seems to be something wrong with its legs. Your whiskers quiver as a memory comes to you. The Merpeople are not your friends. You should avoid them if possible, as they can twist your mind and make you believe that you can swim.

On the other hand the creature has now seen you and is waving its hands, trying to attract your attentions. You wonder what would be wiser, to follow the lore and stay away or to approach the creature.

1.   Let’s see what these Merpeople are really all about!
2.   The wisdom of the clan guides my path. I will avoid this foul creature.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Angelfish on March 23, 2010, 05:25:27 pm
Let's teach these Merpeople a lesson. Kyeeeeeeeeeeeee!
1.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Draxas on March 23, 2010, 05:41:12 pm
Why did we spend 3 moons learning, if only to ignore what we've learned? The beast is best left ignored.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: RTyp06 on March 23, 2010, 10:02:18 pm
How can we grow if we simply comply with the rules of our ancestors. Let us greet the stranger.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alvarin on March 24, 2010, 09:46:00 pm

Clan lore doesn't come without reason. I say steer clear.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Death 999 on March 25, 2010, 05:16:26 pm
What else was I told about the mer-people? Do they actually hunt us? Are they merely standoffish? Were we once friendly and had a falling-out?


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on March 25, 2010, 07:42:28 pm
What else was I told about the mer-people? Do they actually hunt us? Are they merely standoffish? Were we once friendly and had a falling-out?

Basically just to avoid them, they are sneaky and unreliable. They're said to steal fish from Shofixti nets and lure unsuspecting fishermen to their death.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Angelfish on March 26, 2010, 12:22:54 am
WHAT???
Those merpeople... They killed my father,and stole fish from my mother, my many brothers, all six of my sisters… in fact, my entire species.
If I could just exact vengeance upon even one of those merpeople before dying, my death will not have been in vain. I will die an honorable death.
Let's check these merpeople out... and whack 'em with a huge stick!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: ziper1221 on March 26, 2010, 01:32:45 am
Lets steer clear. We can always be more adventurous later, but once we're dead, we're dead.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Death 999 on March 26, 2010, 03:42:27 pm
Well, if they only go after unsuspecting fishermen, I guess I'll be all right. Let's check em out.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on March 31, 2010, 07:37:41 pm
Sometimes the memories are too old to follow. The creature doesn’t seem harmful or dangerous and you are eager to find out more about it. You set course towards the small rocky outcrop mentally steeling yourself against the strange powers of the Merpeople.

As you draw closer, you begin to feel strange. At first you wonder if the creature is affecting your mind. It feels as if two voices are speaking in unison in your head. The creature in front of you is one of the Merpeople. But it is also a Syreen. You’re not quite sure what a Syreen is, but this is definitely it. The duality of the situation makes your head hurt. It is as if there were two memories, both true and both competing for your attention.

Distracted by this inner struggle you let your boat drift too close, and suddenly the creature jumps onto it. It does have legs, it must have just been sitting in an odd position. It smiles at you through blue lips and begins to speak in an enticing voice.

“Welcome brave Shofixti! It is a pleasure to see one of your kind so far out, it’s been far too long. my name is Alia  of the Syreen. I have a boon to ask of you.”

You’re having problems focusing on the words, because the voice is spellbinding. It’s soft and friendly, warm and delightful. The words swim through your mind as silver dolphins through the sea, filling you with wonder.

“There is a ship to the north, a dark ship of dread. It preys upon us, hunting when we come up to breathe. My friend Andamo was captured one moon past. I am sure he is still aboard that foul vessel. We are not the fighters we once were, but the Shofixti battle prowess is well known to all. Take this charm, it will help you free my mate. I wish you the best of luck!”

Alia turns and dives into the sea. It barely ripples. Now that the Syreen is gone, all the light and warmth in your world seems to have left as well Your mind is sad and burdened, for you have let beauty evade your grasp. You shake yourself, trying to chase the melancholy off. This is now way for a Shofixti to act! You are not weepy willows! You are warriors!

You examine the charm the Syreen left on your boat. It is a small golden pendant shaped like a small spear. Not even a spear you realize, but some sort of trident. You aren’t sure of how it works but just holding it makes you feel better. When the time comes, you feel confident the charm’s purpose will reveal itself.

However, now there is a question to be pondered. The Syreen has charged you with a task and left you a gift. But it did not wait around for you to accept the task. There is still some doubt in your mind to the nature of the Syreen. The memories volunteer that they may have been friends before the world broke, but many things have changed since then. Should you accept the task and head north, or sail south instead to see what you can find there?

1.   You’ve been given a task, what are you waiting for?
2.   The Syreen was a strange creature. Best to head south in case it is trying to set you up.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Dabir on March 31, 2010, 07:57:02 pm
Let's go north and help the blue swimmy people!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Gekko on March 31, 2010, 08:53:11 pm
1.   You’ve been given a task, what are you waiting for?


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alvarin on March 31, 2010, 09:06:23 pm
Let's go north!
At least we know there is something there, it's better than aimlessly going to random directions.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Draxas on March 31, 2010, 09:29:42 pm
Indeed, while the Syreen's methods may be suspect, at least we now have some direction. To the north!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: RTyp06 on March 31, 2010, 10:36:08 pm
How can you walk away from a potential adventure like that? Northward.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Death 999 on March 31, 2010, 11:59:30 pm
quest! quest! quest!

Let's check it out. While we're sailing I could write a letter indicating how I'm not exactly thrilled by the melancholy she's dumped on me; I don't expect I'd be able to tell her in person. But it's probably not intentional. She's bummed, dude.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Angelfish on April 01, 2010, 12:14:07 am
1. kyeee!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alen on April 01, 2010, 02:40:29 am
North.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: CelticMinstrel on April 04, 2010, 04:36:11 am
I advocate going north, but cautiously. Maybe she was sincere, and maybe she wasn't. If she was, it's a perfect adventure.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Angelfish on April 04, 2010, 08:10:34 pm
Hmm, perhaps my fellow shofixti could explain to me what the word 'cautiously' means? Are you speaking in an alien language?


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: CelticMinstrel on April 05, 2010, 02:15:12 pm
It means walk, not run. :P


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on April 08, 2010, 06:34:50 pm
You’ve been given a task and no mistake! It’s time to head northwards and encounter whatever dark creatures may hide there. Excitement bubbling in your chest, you set sail and head off. This is going to be a fine adventure after all!

After sailing northwards for a while, you spot some clouds on the horizon. This seems strange, as the sky above your head is crystal clear. The clan mostly fishes close to the coast, but you’ve no memory of such an odd phenomenon ever being spotted by them. As you draw closer, the wind picks up and propels your small boat towards the clouds. You feel uneasy, but you aren’t worried yet. Your boat is quick and agile and you feel confident that you’ll be able to turn it around if need be.

After a while, you’re close enough to realize that this is something well and truly strange. The dark clouds on the sky are a mystery in themselves, but what lies beneath them is even more amazing. There is a gigantic whirlpool here, greedily sucking the very sea dry. Your boat jumps and skips happily towards it and you’re gripped by a certain morbid curiosity. What would happen if you were drawn into this? Where would you end up, what would you see?

Your dreams are broken by the realization that you are about to find out. You’re quite close to the whirlpool by now and speeding up by the second. Close by, you spot a small rock protruding from the sea. There’s something on it, an object of some kind. It almost looks like a chest, if chests were cut from stone rather than wood. You realize that you have a split second decision to make. You can still turn back and sail around this gaping maw. Or you could aim for the small islet and attempt a landing. Getting off that rock will be very demanding though. Or maybe, just maybe, you should aim at the whirlpool and go wherever it takes you.

1.   Valor in bravery, honour in courage! Down the rabbit hole we go!
2.   A chest of stone is a wondrous thing. Lets chance it and examine
3.   Lets’ continue onwards, no point in taking a risk like that, even for treasure!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Dabir on April 08, 2010, 06:39:21 pm
A box o' rocks is a wondrous thing, let's examine it!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Draxas on April 08, 2010, 06:45:36 pm
Treasure = adventure! Let's grab it!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Angelfish on April 08, 2010, 09:12:54 pm
1) :D


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alvarin on April 08, 2010, 09:53:55 pm
Let's go for the chest.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alen on April 08, 2010, 11:53:48 pm
Treasure is nice.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: RTyp06 on April 09, 2010, 01:17:59 am
#3 Treasure isn't what we came for. Let's steer clear and look for that ship we were told about by the syreen.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Death 999 on April 09, 2010, 04:36:26 pm
#1. This must be where the creature is!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Gekko on April 09, 2010, 08:46:14 pm
#3 Treasure isn't what we came for. Let's steer clear and look for that ship we were told about by the syreen.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: CelticMinstrel on April 14, 2010, 08:59:00 pm
I vote for option 2. Who knows, maybe the "chest" is actually a part of the ship we're looking for!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on April 15, 2010, 07:42:07 pm
Such a chest must truly contain something valuable. Perhaps it will aid you on your journey, or simply bring you great status when you return. You aim your boat for the small rock and hope for the best.

It’s not easy to get there. Your memories help you to a degree, but no one you can remember has sailed this kind of rough seas before. But you keep a steady course and fight the treacherous waters the best you can. Several times you think your lost, only to snatch back control from the tumultuous waters at the very last instant.

Eventually, you make it. You reach the little rock and make a jumping leap. Landing on the rock isn’t hard. Staying on the slick smooth surface is, especially while trying to tie your boat to the chest to give you a way of eventually leaving. But you manage, even though you slip a few times. Finally, the boat is secure and you are read to open up the chest in front of you.

With an almost solemn feeling, you pry the stone lid open. What it reveals shocks you. Technology! There is a device inside the chest, just one single thing. It looks like a little metal box, but there are small lights and knobs all over it. Such a thing has not been seen in ages. The ability to construct these things is beyond your kind and you know them only from the really old and frayed memories. This is a treasure beyond comprehension and something the tribe will want to know about immediately.

You now face a tough decision. You can decide to return home immediately. This will mean an end to your adventure at this early stage. But to continue would be to risk this precious device to whatever awaits you. What now?

1. Best go home, this is more important than any paltry adventure
2. Pfft, I can protect both the device and myself. Onwards we go!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Angelfish on April 15, 2010, 08:23:54 pm
2 :)


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alvarin on April 15, 2010, 09:46:25 pm
I  would choose 2, but not for the reason given. I think it is better choice as Shofixti accepted a mission and his honour will demand it's completion.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Gekko on April 15, 2010, 11:12:11 pm
2. Pfft, I can protect both the device and myself. Onwards we go!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: CelticMinstrel on April 16, 2010, 01:06:11 am
What? Return home so soon? Blasphemy! Number 2 it must be!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: RTyp06 on April 16, 2010, 02:45:33 am
"The ability to construct these things is beyond your kind and you know them only from the really old and frayed memories. This is a treasure beyond comprehension and something the tribe will want to know about immediately."

Can we get more information? What is it? What does it do?


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Angelfish on April 16, 2010, 02:53:22 am
"The ability to construct these things is beyond your kind and you know them only from the really old and frayed memories. This is a treasure beyond comprehension and something the tribe will want to know about immediately."

Can we get more information? What is it? What does it do?


I don't want to know, I just want to play the game with information that was provided originally...
So if you answer this question Lukipela, please do so in spoiler tags ;).


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Draxas on April 16, 2010, 02:58:04 am
I'm guessing we have no idea what it does.

We must stay outside the village for 3 days before returning, that is our task and the only way we will be accepted as an adult, despite this amazing discovery. Thus, onward we go!


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: RTyp06 on April 16, 2010, 05:01:09 pm
I'm guessing we have no idea what it does.

We must stay outside the village for 3 days before returning, that is our task and the only way we will be accepted as an adult, despite this amazing discovery. Thus, onward we go!

Ok, I understand the 3 days part:

"“Younglings of the third hut! Tomorrow you will have seen three moons and your childhood will come to an end. You know the lore. Leave this hut by dawn and do not return during the next three suns. When you come back, you will be adult Shofixti.”

.. but how do we know when that time has passed? Oh well #2 it is, final answer.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on April 16, 2010, 08:41:58 pm
Can we get more information? What is it? What does it do?

It is Technology. You can tell from the strange substances it is made of, metals and things you can't even describe. Your memories are telling you that there are buttons, displays and controls on it. Whatever that is. Technology generally does things, but what this thing does you really don't know. Maybe it makes whirlpools, or fish. A thing that made fish would be pretty useful.

Ok, I understand the 3 days part:
.. but how do we know when that time has passed?

Well, you slept one night before leaving the archipelago around the island, so going back will at least take one more night unless the wind changes. But this day is more than halfway gone as well, so you'd probably not make it back without sailing through the night following that one.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: RTyp06 on April 17, 2010, 02:50:53 am
Ah,ok..... Thanks for "clearing" that up. ;)

 #2 it is.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Death 999 on April 22, 2010, 07:51:53 pm
Honor dictates that I try to complete the mission. If it hadn't been for that, I'd SO be going home. This is big.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on April 22, 2010, 07:58:14 pm
You continue northwards over the ocean. Soon, the whirlpool and stone chest are far behind you. It feels as if you are all alone in a very big world, a wasteland of water. As night falls, you begin to wonder if you’ve made the right choice. What can you possibly find out here in the middle of the ocean? And with a shudder, you also begin to worry about what can possibly find you out here. The ocean is said to be home to sea monsters, vile things that prey on travelers. You’ve always thought of those as nursery stories, but out here in the dark they begin to sound very real.

Amidst your worries, you suddenly spot something on the horizon. At first, you think it is your worst fears realized. A monster from the abyss that is looking for you with burning eyes. But after watching it in petrified terror for a while, you realize that it is a vessel of some sort. A large and looming vessel with lit lanterns, soundlessly gliding through the night. This is probably the dread ship that the Syreen were talking about. Or at least you hope so. If there is an even larger and more ominous ship out here, you’d prefer not to run into it.

You carefully bring your boat closer to the large vessel. The darkness is no longer frightening, but suddenly your ally. Hidden by it you can approach without being noticed by whatever is on board. As you reach the vessel, you realize that its hull is studded with spiky protrusions. They are sharp but thick, probably a way to discourage others from drawing near.  However, to you they are very useful. You can easily tie your boat to one of them, and then scale the others until you reach the deck up high. You quietly peer over the side to survey the situation.

The deck is mostly empty. A few green-skinned creatures are slumped against the main mast, clearly asleep. Your memories tentatively identify them as VUX, but in the dark you can’t be sure. Not that it matters, since your memories don’t serve up any other useful information on the creatures. There is a vague recommendation to avoid their touch as it slows you down and makes you clumsy, but it doesn’t seem to regard direct contact as dangerous.

From your hiding position you can spot two ways off the deck. There is a stairway leading down into the bowels of the ship, and a large ornate door at the very end of the deck. From your vague memories of large vessels, the prisoners are probably kept downstairs, and the large door might lead to the Captains quarters.

1.   Let’s go pay the Captain a visit!
2.   We’re tasked with freeing the Syreen, let us do so.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Dabir on April 22, 2010, 09:26:57 pm
We've been given a job to do, let's do it with a minimum of fuss. Number 2.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alvarin on April 22, 2010, 09:28:24 pm
[2]


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Draxas on April 23, 2010, 02:19:32 am
Knocking on the captain's door is hardly stealthy nor smart. Let's head below.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: RTyp06 on April 23, 2010, 02:46:27 am
2


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Gekko on April 23, 2010, 03:05:15 pm
2.   We’re tasked with freeing the Syreen, let us do so.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Death 999 on April 24, 2010, 05:26:17 pm
Get this job done and get out of here. I have a... thingy burning a hole in my pocket that I want to bring back.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on April 29, 2010, 06:45:17 pm
The Syreen tasked you with finding her friend, and that friend is probably somewhere below deck. You quietly move across the deck, trying not to wake the sleeping VUX. There’s not much risk of that though, they appear to be fast asleep. The deck is hard and cold, wood covered with some strange coating. You wonder where they’ve found all the wood required to build such a huge vessel. You’d probably have to cut down half of the forests on the Island to just build something of this size. And the material that it has been coated with is strange too. The wood beneath looks pristine, as if it had never touched salt water or been worn by feet. This whole place is a mystery to you. Somewhere in the back of your head you wonder if you shouldn’t just get out now and tell the Elders about this place.

But you have a mission to fulfil and to back out now would be a coward’s way out. Instead, you carefully sneak down the stairway into the depths of the vessel. Inside, it is much lighter and you can hear sounds from all around. The vessel is criss-crossed by different corridors and doors, and you can sense movement all around you. You move slowly and carefully, ducking in behind doorways, chests and barrels as soon as you hear something close by. A few times you spot VUX in the distance, but you manage to go unnoticed.

After exploring for a while, you come across a large cell. There is only a single Syreen in it, but it is large enough to easily hold fifty or so. A VUX stands guard by the cell, key-ring jingling in his belt. This must be the one you’ve come to save. Now all that remains is to figure out how. The guard seems alert so you won’t be able to surprise him. You can probably take him in a fight, but that would cause a lot of noise. You briefly consider just turning back, but you’ve come too far for that. One way or another, you need to act.

1. Lets use the charm, it may be useful!
2. Brute force is the way to go here; we’ll knock him out good.
3. Let’s wait and see if he falls asleep. Then we can deal with him quietly.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alvarin on April 29, 2010, 07:05:12 pm
By showing the Syreen charm, the captive might help by distracting the guard, giving an opportunity for quick knockout. I say [1]


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Draxas on April 29, 2010, 07:49:25 pm
Show the Syreen the charm. At least that way, our intentions won't be mistaken.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Dabir on April 29, 2010, 09:23:45 pm
Yes, let's go with 1.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: RTyp06 on April 30, 2010, 02:02:08 am
Show the Syreen the charm. At least that way, our intentions won't be mistaken.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Gekko on April 30, 2010, 12:13:14 pm
3. Let’s wait and see if he falls asleep. Then we can deal with him quietly.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Death 999 on April 30, 2010, 09:48:52 pm
I'm thinking 1.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Alen on May 04, 2010, 02:33:36 am
The charm might work like the Syreen's call. 1


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Death 999 on May 06, 2010, 04:17:23 pm
If it does, that's silly. Still, 1.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: CelticMinstrel on May 06, 2010, 06:37:56 pm
Hm. I'd recommend 3, I think.


Title: Re: The Coming of Age
Post by: Lukipela on May 06, 2010, 08:02:31 pm
The Syreen you encountered did say that the charm would be useful. You grasp it firmly and step out in front of the guard. He looks at it and blinks once with his big eye. Then he remains perfectly still. The Syreen in the cage gets up and moves towards the door. He whispers to you

“The charm will keep him dazed and confused, but not forever. Quickly, take the key and set me free!”

You uneasily do as he says and the VUX does not react at all. He simply blinks a few times. You unlock the door and free the captive. But now you realize that there is another problem. You managed to sneak in here just fine, but how are you going to get out? This big blue prisoner can hardly sneak as well as you.

It turns out that he doesn’t have to. She grabs the VUX’s weapon and beckons you to follow her. Confidently, he walks through the corridors. You follow closely behind her and amazingly you encounter no one. The entire ships sounds quieter somewhere, more subdued. There is something strange afoot here.

As you reach the deck, the Syreen turns to you and smiles.

“Thank you brave Shofixti. Our people have been separated for long. Perhaps it is time to make amends and alliances once more.”

Then he smiles, and jumps into the water. Immediately, you can hear sounds from down below. Whatever spell held those below has now dissipated. It is time for you to leave as well. You throw yourself into the ocean, then quickly climb into your boat and set sail. The vessel behind you is no longer quiet, and you as you glance back you can see more torches being lit. Thankfully, your small boat easily disappears in the darkness.

By morning you’ve managed to shake your pursuers. Tired but feeling victorious, you set sail for home. All through the day you worry about discovery, but the large vessel must have gone in another direction. Shortly after nightfall, you reach the archipelago. Feeling exhausted, you bed down in your boat and rest. It is an easy rest, pleased as you are with what you have accomplished. You wake refreshed and continue your journey.

The sun has already sunken beyond the horizon by the time you arrive at the beach. From the Village you can hear loud sounds and yelling. As you run up the beach you smell smoke and see the flicker of flames. Your heart beats ever faster as you prepare yourself for battle.

As you arrive a tremendous relief washes over you. The feast for the new adults is underway. There is a huge bonfire in the middle of the Village, and everyone is screaming and dancing. You see several Elders and rush over to talk to them. The mention of the Syreen and an alliance intrigues them. There is mention of that in the old memories, but it is all confused. The piece of technology you brought is marveled at. Such a treasure has not been seen for ages! The Elders seem unsure of what it is, but they promise that once they’ve examined it they will let you know.

Then they excuse you and send you to celebrate with your fellow adults. You are all celebrated and welcomed into the clan. You are finally adults and come morning your new lives will begin. You will be warriors, doctors, thinkers and farmers. The future is wide open. Still, the recent events have unnerved you. There is a whole world out there somewhere, and not everything is as it should be. However, these things will have to be left for another day.