The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:28:17 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Precursor data discs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Precursor data discs  (Read 3449 times)
Yehat sympathizer

Email
Precursor data discs
« on: July 24, 2003, 06:22:19 pm »

Hi everybody.

Back when I had the original pc game, I typed one of the .dat files, and found a list of all the devices in the game - the mycon egg sack, the casters, portal spawner, etc.

I also found something called precursor data discs, which I could never find in the game. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Precursor data discs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 06:57:40 pm »

It is probably the melnorme upgrades to your flagship.

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 07:17:33 pm »

An abandoned idea i guess. Happenes in many games.
There's a list of artifacts somewhere including the ones that are not used by the game.

Oh... by the way. I remember that when I played SC2 about 9 years ago I somehow managed to get an afterburner from the  Thraddash. It doubled your hyperspace speed (and fuel usage by the way). Now the funny part is that I couldn't get it ever again. For all the years it did not bother me at all, but recently I decided to get it at all costs! I tried everything with the Thraddash but couldn't get it from them. Then I checked the net, and found list of artifacts... but there was no such thing as an afterburner, not even in the abandoned ideas section. It had be my imagination I thought, it wouldn't be suprising because when I was little my imagination was solid as a rock. But what's even funnier, I remember that I played the game with my friend that day, he got quite excited he told it to my brother and cousin (we all played SC2 back then).
So not so much time ago, my brother saw me playing SC2 and aked:
Have you found the Thraddash afterburner?...
Tried to argue that such a thing does't exist but he reminded me of my friend screaming like a madman about it years ago, and it would be a little bit stupid of me to insist that it was just my imagination...
Hell I dont know what to think about it. Thought I'd tell you guys maybe someone also found it. Then I wouldn't have to worry that me, my friend, and my family are all loonies...

Your bruises are reminders of naivete and trust
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 07:22:07 pm »

Did you tried to talk with them after they became your "students"? Or while they fight the illwraths(and still your students)? Maybe they give it to you, i didn't check, i just rushed back to earth base and bought 4 of thier ships(that ship kick ass the ur-quan, the koar-ah and most important, the probes!)...

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 07:36:16 pm »

I remember something similar... when I was playing Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, I once found the "Fountain of Youth".

When trying to find it later, I could not. The Sir-Tech hint line hand't heard of it. Later searching for it, I couldn't even find the string "Fountain of Youth" in the game data (though I could find just about every other string in the game, like "Tiltowait" and "You fell into a pit!!" and "has been slain!"). Very frustrating.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 07:36:46 pm by Death_999 » Logged
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 10:03:43 pm »

From [link]http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/history/preiche.shtml[/link]:

Regarding the mysterious, purple thingy -- that's a 'DataPlate' which was a class of game item that we ended up not using. The idea was that you could buy, find and sell ideas, concepts and technology in this abstract form. We did the art and included it in the game, but later on we changed the items to be more interesting, more tangible things like the Aqua Helix and Wimbly's Trident.

I've found a little bit of (unused) code relating to three dataplates. That code would make it so that the commander will tell you about the dataplates when you have them. You can't get those dataplates anywhere though, and there's no actual text for the commander to say.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 10:09:36 pm »

Oh, and there's no such thing as a Thraddash afterburner item.
The only way to get a Thraddash afterburner is to get a complete Thraddash ship, and the only way to get it loose from the rest of the ship is to get it blown up in combat. You might get a some resources from the debris if it's not your ship, but no complete afterburner.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 11:07:39 pm »

Wasn't there some mention by Hayes of some abandoned data discs on Pluto that indirectly referred to the Precursors? Yes, it sounds like a bit of trivia and fluff, and I doubt it was intended as a serious plot device (beyond getting you curious enough to go look for Fwiffo) but who knows, maybe it WAS an abandoned plot device and Haye's conversation may have referred to it.

We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah.
Our nature, the fulfillment of our fate requires your destruction.
You are filth. It is now your time to be cleansed.
Cyamarin
*Many bubbles*

Midimaze!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 12:16:01 am »

When I was young I would have dreams about video games, and in my dreams things would happen in the game--and I would be absolutely convinced they were real.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 12:18:32 am »

You might get a some resources from the debris if it's not your ship

Which reminds me -- if you get your ships blown up in combat, you don't recover any RU's from them! What a gyp!
(Either that or it's been so long since I lost a ship in-game that I forgot)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 03:02:26 am »

That's because it would be immoral for you to cash in on the passing of your comrades in arms. naturally, you give them a Viking funeral in space, and let the burning wrecks slowly float away into space.

What's up doc?
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 02:28:03 am »

When I was young I would have dreams about video games, and in my dreams things would happen in the game--and I would be absolutely convinced they were real.
I had a big crush on Princess Peach, so she and I had many dreams together....

*Ahem*  If you check out Yukki's site, she's got some goodies in her treasure box.  One of them is a bunch of icons for all the device ideas in the game.  No sign of any precursor data disks, but there are other devices that never saw the light.

http://home.att.ne.jp/wave/rainbow/Toys_for_Bob/test_devices.htm

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length