The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:31:11 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Umgah Caster and Burvix Caster?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Umgah Caster and Burvix Caster?  (Read 12248 times)
Sage
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
Re: Umgah Caster and Burvix Caster?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2003, 12:08:39 am »

Man, that's the way it's supposed to be.

That's not the point. He makes you an offer for the Rosy sphere, which I have come to understand is not the offer intended here. If I accept, I get the Rosy Sphere. If I decline, I get the fuel instead. If that's not a bug (two, even) then I don't know what is.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2003, 04:05:42 am »

an ant Tongue

Yehat_Sympathizer
Frungy champion

jie2 do1ng fe1ng

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2003, 04:42:27 am »

Sage, it's not a bug. If they had no rosy sphere, they would offer you fuel first. But they had, so they did. If it works, don't worry about it too much Smiley
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2003, 05:21:34 am »

If you continue to keep the Caster (allowing you to play the trick again), then it's definitely a bug.
frumple
Zebranky food

GO! GO! GO!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2003, 12:36:43 pm »

first time in ten years or so I've been going through the game... some things come back, and some things don't.

Wish I'd remembered that you can get the Rosy Sphere by selling the Druuge the egg case... which you get to KEEP after showing it to Talana (I did the Ultron way before the Mycon/Syreen thing).

I wonder if anyone else gets the same rush of guilt I do when they trade 100 crew for the sphere... it's terrible.  and then, when you get back to the starbase!  *sob*

Thanks for the egg-case tip... next time I go through the game I'll try that instead of doing something that makes me feel like joining an Utwig colony. Smiley
Yehat_Sympathizer
Frungy champion

jie2 do1ng fe1ng

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2003, 05:42:23 pm »

Spoiler

There are three egg cases in the game. You don't need to sell the crew at all.
Sage
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2003, 05:50:52 am »

Yehat, he just said that...

BTW, it turns out that he takes the Caster despite the choice you make here. This still qualifies it as a bug.

Allow me to lead you through the conversation I take so you can get a better idea of what happens...

I go to the Druuge world, he gives me the introduction, I tell him I'll sell him the Caster, he offers me the Rosy Sphere.

IF I say "I accept this unusual offer.", he says "Ha-ha! You are indeed a wise young human! The Rosy Sphere is yours." And thus it is so. I lose the Caster, and gain the Rosy Sphere.

However, if I say "Thanks, but no thanks", his response is...

"Very well, we can understand your trepidation. We have been unfair in springing this offer on you so suddenly. Perhaps we can offer the deal again, in the future, when you have had time to think about it. I will buy the Hyperwave 'Caster. In exchange, you shall receive all the fuel your ship can hold. We are now hooking up the fuel lines to fill your fuel tanks. Hmm.. Ah yes. The job is done. Now let's see how much was transferred.. It was 1610 units of fuel. Aieee! I am ruined! You have sucked my full tanks until they are dry! Cruel Monster! Bloated Villian! Slicer of innocent throats! What shall I tell my Manager! My spouse?! I shall certainly be assigned to tend the furnaces. I shall burn in the atomic fires! Aieee!"

Perhaps someone out there could confirm this? I'm using Striker's latest CVS build, so others with the CVS should (theoretically) have this bug as well. Perhaps even other builds as well?

EDIT: This seems to apply to offering to sell the Quasispace portal then instead saying no. He offers me the Rosy Sphere, but when I decline, I instead recieve normal price for it. As soon as I make my way to Copernicus I will see if this bug applies to the Deep Child Egg fragment as well.

EDIT2: Confirmed. This applies to the Egg Case as well...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 02:04:44 pm by sageallen » Logged
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2003, 01:11:06 pm »

Sage this isn't a bug.
When you go to the Druuge world they say something like
"I see you got the caster, if you sell it to us, we'll give you all the fuel you can hold"
The Rosy Sphere is just a special offer.
If you say no then the deal is made on previously determined conditions (they give you the fuel).
They are making this "special offer" every time you want to sell something because they think it's just trash and want to get rid of it.
I cannot understand why do you think it's a bug.

Your bruises are reminders of naivete and trust
Sage
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2003, 01:49:44 pm »

He never makes the original (read: not the Rosy Sphere) offer. Plus it's basically forcing me to make a final choice when in theory I should be able to back out of selling the Hyperwave Caster at all, like your selections indicate you can. And are you honestly seriously trying to tell me that those two completely unrelated statements made by the Druuge were supposed to be crammed into the same response? I think not.

The reason I keep on insisting that this is a bug is because so far the only two people who have disagreed with me have fewer posts than I, with no (visible) rank in the forum, and do not appear to be any part of the programming team. Besides that, I don't see either of you nay-sayers proving me wrong by checking for the bug yourself.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 02:05:45 pm by sageallen » Logged
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2003, 02:51:47 pm »

He never makes the original (read: not the Rosy Sphere) offer.

Yes he does.
He says this when you arrive at the druuge homeworld:

Attention alien starship
You have arrived at the Central Trade World of the Crimson Corporation...
...Home of the Druuge
Be welcome and take advantage of our excellent deals
Our sensors reveal that you have one of our more powerful HyperWave 'Casters on board your ship.
Have no fear, Captain. It was abandoned on the Burvixese moon...
...and by our law it belongs to you, however...
...we are fond of the device and wish to regain it through trade.
Give us the 'Caster, and we will give you all the fuel your ship can hold

Plus it's basically forcing me to make a final choice when in theory I should be able to back out of selling the Hyperwave Caster at all, like your selections indicate you can.

You don't get to back out of any deal. The choices you have are:

- I accept this unusual offer.
which means: Yes give me the Rosy Sphere.

-Thanks, but no thanks.
which means: No don't give me the Sphere, I want the fuel.

And are you honestly seriously trying to tell me that those two completely unrelated statements made by the Druuge were supposed to be crammed into the same response? I think not.

Yes I am.
They are like those used car salesmen.
They want to get rid of some piece of trash, so they call it a "special offer", sell you some crap and take from you whatever-you-want-to-sell which is most likely much more valuable.

The reason I keep on insisting that this is a bug is because so far the only two people who have disagreed with me have fewer posts than I, with no (visible) rank in the forum, and do not appear to be any part of the programming team.

I do not understand how the number of posts can determine wheter someone is right or not.
Yes only two people disagreed with you, but there are none that agreed.

Besides that, I don't see either of you nay-sayers proving me wrong by checking for the bug yourself.

I did check it that's why I argue. The only reason I didn't use the exact quotes earlier is that I'm too lasy.

Sage
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2003, 03:23:45 pm »

D'oh! I gotcha now. My apologies.

I shall take my fall in true blobbie style.

HAR HAR HAR! That funniest thing! You think me some ignorant guy who won't listen to reason! HAR HAR! Then he argue with you! Good joke, huh? Wink
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2003, 04:38:58 pm »

I don't think that was really blobbieish.
A true blobbie would say that he still thinks he's right just to piss me of, then watch my face turn red, blue then purple and then watch me bitchin, for what I would get banned from this forum. And then the blobbie would laugh his ass-equivalent off
HAR! HAR! HAR!

See... you still got a lot to learn...

Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2003, 05:37:32 am »

Maybe the response text could be changed to
"No, I want the fuel, as seen on TVTM"

That would alleviate any misunderstandings.
Sage
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2003, 06:10:35 am »

I would attempt genocide or some other similarly global inconvenience, however doing so would be problematic. Despite my general dislike of your human of average intelligence (read: simple), the loss of all human life might be too much to bear. Plus I figure any joke dealing with the eradication of humanity would (sadly) include myself. So, yeah. I have so much to learn about the finer aspects of blobbie "humor", but no will to implement it.

And yes, some sort of clarification (even though I might be the first in a decade to point this misunderstanding out) might be useful.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 06:11:20 am by sageallen » Logged
PakoPako
*Many bubbles*

Lost, Irresponsible, and Stupidly Daring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2003, 02:28:56 pm »

I would attempt genocide or some other similarly global inconvenience, however doing so would be problematic.

Nah.
Genocide is always an acceptable solution to all of the world's problems. Wink
A short-term solution would be hand grenades. At least this is what I learned in Post-Apocolyptic California. Wink

And remember, genocide isn't a problem. It's a problem-solver. Cool

-=PakoPako=-

"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length