The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:10:13 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  UQM v0.3 has arrived.. What do you think about it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: UQM v0.3 has arrived.. What do you think about it?  (Read 9610 times)
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: UQM v0.3 has arrived.. What do you think about
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2003, 10:08:00 pm »

Hm. That may have been my problem. I tried anonymously CVSing into sourceforge, but couldn't connect.

Try again. And again. And again. Ten attempts should be enough. Some of the people around here write nice little scripts to retry connecting until it works. That server always seems to have n or n-1 connected users, where n is the maximum allowed amount.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2003, 12:50:45 am »

You might want to try the cvs snapshots (source only, no content):
http://uqm.stack.nl/files/snapshots/

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Orz Brain
Frungy champion

We are the Orz. You will be *joining our party*.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2003, 03:27:51 am »

I think things no longer dissapear (which is good) but now the ships look very blurry at medium range (which is bad). :-/

We are the Orz. You will be *joining our party*. Resistance is *very sad*.
Spurk
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2003, 05:08:35 am »

I think things no longer dissapear (which is good) but now the ships look very blurry at medium range (which is bad). :-/

I noticed the antialiasing too. I'm somewhat confused as to why it was done. Doesn't each ship have a graphic for small, medium, and large?
Michael Martin
Core Team
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2003, 05:29:52 am »

I noticed the antialiasing too. I'm somewhat confused as to why it was done. Doesn't each ship have a graphic for small, medium, and large?

Yeah, but if you use nearest-neighbor zooming, small objects during the continuous zoom can end up disappearing entirely (this was particularly a problem for the Ur-Quan fighters).  Trilinear scaling was introduced to combat this.  The "-b nearest" option will let you turn that off.
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2003, 12:42:06 pm »

Well maybe it is my computer but... Some critical special moves (arilou warp, utwig and yehat shield) now has a delay of 1/2 second!!! I mean I press to use it but it occurs only after 1/2. Anyone knows why?

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Yehat_Sympathizer
Frungy champion

jie2 do1ng fe1ng

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2003, 04:04:04 am »

Excellent job!

I could only find one "bug" when I turn on cyborg melee option in the main game, the melee becomes sooo fast... and the cyborg always loses. On the other hand, what's the point of playing the game without doing the battle yourself?

Good job on the ending sequence. I really missed those guys
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2003, 12:49:06 pm »

I could only find one "bug" when I turn on cyborg melee option in the main game, the melee becomes sooo fast...

It's supposed to do that. I think you can adjust the speed using the "resolve" option in the same menu.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2003, 01:11:06 pm by Novus » Logged

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Yehat_Sympathizer
Frungy champion

jie2 do1ng fe1ng

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2003, 02:41:54 pm »

Also, if you set the combat on cyborg when you're about to attack the sa-matra, you just jump directly to the end credits with all the cool aliens talking. I don't know if it's a bug, but if you don't have a lot of time and you want to see the end credits it's a cool thing...
Michael Martin
Core Team
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2003, 05:27:01 pm »

Also, if you set the combat on cyborg when you're about to attack the sa-matra, you just jump directly to the end credits with all the cool aliens talking. I don't know if it's a bug, but if you don't have a lot of time and you want to see the end credits it's a cool thing...

It's supposed to do that, too.  In the original, if you were in Cyborg mode, then after you got through the guardian ships, the Talking Pet would say "You did it!  The Sa-Matra is defenseless!  Now all you have to do is fly up next to it and detonate the weapon!" and cue the ending sequence.
Yehat_Sympathizer
Frungy champion

jie2 do1ng fe1ng

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2003, 06:18:18 pm »

Where's the fun in that? I didn't even see the ships fighting the sa matra...

I guess this is good if you just want to see the ending, though.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2003, 06:49:43 pm »

Where's the fun in that? I didn't even see the ships fighting the sa matra...
Ever tried to use auto-aiming weapons on the Sa-Matra? They all try to hit the Sa-Matra, not the generators, thus reaching nothing. And in Cyborg-Mode, you'd have to program a special routine for the assault on the Big Trophy.
And would you bring in ships, that could be a real danger for the Sa-Matra? Just send in your Umgah Drones, Supox Blades, Earthling Cruisers, Thraddash Burners (?), Arilou'Lale Lay Skiffs or such stuff... Not fun for the Cyborg, but he must win, since you cannot reach the Sa-Matra again after leaving for fetching new ships (the Ur-Quan do know about the frog and will turn the Sa-Matra on to destroy everything in this region of space just to ensure that this dammit thingie will not survive (i guess, that's why the emergency warp system has been removed by the twin gods of excellent games).

Greetings,
Martin
« Last Edit: September 10, 2003, 06:51:39 pm by Krulle » Logged
edheaded

Email
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2003, 08:46:22 pm »

OK... but does anyone know when the 0.3 mac version is getting released? Am getting a bit tired of checking the site every few hours.
Nic.

Email
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2003, 08:52:53 pm »

Yeah, sorry about that.  The Mac version is "on my plate" (with much assistance from Mr. Death_999), and our day jobs are keeping us quite busy lately.  As such, we haven't had the time to put it together.  But I hope you'll be pleasantly suprised by the results once we do.  Wink

I'm hoping to put something together this weekend, time permitting.  But I know that does little for you with regards to "immediate gratification," and for that I apologize.
edheaded

Email
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2003, 09:46:40 pm »

That's cool. I can do with version 0.2 till then, which is still playable as long as I save often. In fact I find the crashes useful - reminds me about things like sleep, food, work etc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length