The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:54:35 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Exploration log
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Exploration log  (Read 2339 times)
KaylaKaze
Zebranky food

View Profile
Exploration log
« on: September 12, 2003, 09:58:29 am »

Am I the only one who can't play SC2 without my laptop being on next to my desktop, making a spreadsheet of where I've been, what planets I've mined, and the dangers of planets too hostile for me to currently exploit? I used to use a paper one but it got hard to find specific stars after a while (when you've got like 20 pages in non alphabetical order)... but now I'm thinking it may have been easier that way then trying to scroll through this spreadsheet. What are your thoughts on the matter?
player1
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: Exploration log
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 12:28:55 pm »

I used notepad.  Grin

Well, it would be good suggestion that after final release some sort of Ship Log should be added to the game.

Making notes constantly it one of the thing that keeps many newbies away from the game.
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 04:45:46 pm »

Just do smart mining! Don't do mining like "sphere" around sol. Go to a group and mine there (alpah beta gamma etc...) then it will be much easier to remember by groups instead of all the stars,

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 05:08:25 pm »

Mine systematically...use patterns...actually if you learn the game well enough you don't have to mine for that long...I think my notes only ever covered maybe a page for the whole game...

Basically the only places you really need to note are homeworlds, locations of artifacts, big jackpot worlds as far as mining goes (some have LOTS of exotics or radioactives on them), and any other spiffy neato things you happen to find that are unusual.

When you do mine, like was said, do it by stars and by groups.  Of course, that's part of learning the game too, you want to load up on more than one cargo bay.
Yehat_Sympathizer
Frungy champion

jie2 do1ng fe1ng

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 06:09:24 pm »

After you've finished the game once or twice, you might want to get a map from the pages of now and forever

(http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/sc2/maps.shtml)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 06:22:02 pm »

For thiose of us lucky enough to own the original game and have a map, it's fairly easy just to mark on the backside of the map. Otherwise I'd go with notepad for that "real" feeling Wink

What's up doc?
KaylaKaze
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 06:06:52 pm »

I actually have the original :-) Bought it about 5 years ago at a thrift sotre for a couple bucks. It's cool 'cause the original receipt was even in the box. Right now, I'm using graph paper and tables. I generally mine in star groups but often have long periods of time between games so I'd never remember where I was or where I left off.
mike guthrie

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 08:40:57 am »

I was able to dig out my (partial) paper notes from my original play on dos version, and have not bothered with updating them... But yes I have two windows machines and a linux box... Lately I have used a spreadsheet and even a database for game notes.  Smiley
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 10:30:24 am »

I used a pen and printer paper. still have the pen but the notes are lost. I think i used them for the fireplace.

ive always wanted to have a in game note system.

so you can write down notes about each system and in general.
I also would like to have it save important information in the game. like when you find out where a homeworld it would have that on the map as well as the system name. starcontol 3 did this one thing fairly well.
and be able to go back and read all the conversations you've had.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 10:31:55 am by BioSlayer » Logged

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
JSB
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 09:21:25 pm »

Pen and paper has been enought for me. Not that an in-game notebook wouldn't be a good idea.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 09:21:50 pm by JSB » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length