The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:17:15 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Star Control 1 with SC2's ships
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Star Control 1 with SC2's ships  (Read 5178 times)
Kelju_Ivan
Zebranky food

Rankka Ankka

View Profile WWW
Star Control 1 with SC2's ships
« on: December 03, 2002, 11:41:16 am »

The source of SC1 is lost. Does that mean that we'll never see this piece of art? I've dreamed of it for many years and it would be sooo great to have. The strategy game was cool, but alas, no one wanted/could play it with me. *snif*
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
Re: Star Control 1 with SC2's ships
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 08:44:33 pm »

After the "core" team finishes 1.0 UQM, I'm going to try my hardest to convince them and others to remake this game and also a Star Control "2" version of it.  In some respects, I like "1" better than Star Control 2 because it has more replayability and a game can be played in only a few minutes.

Oh yeah, I've heard that too, that the source for Star Control 1 is gone... :-/

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
strelok
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 09:14:59 pm »

I like sc1 too, and i have good mesage for anyone who like this game.

Sc1 was released on Sega megadrive.
Sega megadrive emulated very well by many emulators.
So no problem at all to play this is game via sega emulator with improving sound and good sai graphics.

If u dont can to reach sc1 rom - u can contact me by e-mail
strelok100@yahoo.com

p.s. sorry for my english.

Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 11:43:09 pm »

Good idea, the Genesis version....  it even has more "scenarios" to play than the PC version.

Though, the Genesis version is slower than the PC version.  Fred IIRC said that they didn't have time to fully optimize it before it got shipped or something....  So I still prefer the PC version because it feels less "sluggish".

Haven't ever played the Genesis version on emulators, so maybe thats fixed?

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Kelju_Ivan
Zebranky food

Rankka Ankka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 02:15:28 am »

I have an old computer which I can use to play SC1 (or SC2 without sound) so I don't need the emulator (it's even got a great keyboard so the keys don't easily get locked). What I do need are the extra ships from Star Control 2. It would be so cool to get them in the game.

Hmm... the strategy part of Star Control doesn't seem very complicated to me and I believe it wouldn't be that hard for an able programmer to code. Perhaps after the current project is done our heroes could try to complete this next undertaking.
Zeroarmy
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 06:45:03 am »

Hmm... the strategy part of Star Control doesn't seem very complicated to me and I believe it wouldn't be that hard for an able programmer to code. Perhaps after the current project is done our heroes could try to complete this next undertaking.

I'd love if that were done. SCI is what made me such a SC fan. For years I playied it without even knowing about SCII or SCIII so, as you can expect, SCI is very important to me. The only problem is, like Chad said the Genesis version slows down the Melee, and if want to play my PC version I have to do it on my old Tandy computer (the sound and pictures get messed up if i try on one of my newer computer) and being so old it takes forever to load, send out ships, ect. Plus I have to carry the heavy thing out of my closet everytime I want to play it. Ugh.
Diogenes' Dog

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 10:27:28 am »

I'm pretty sure that Timewarp has a SC1-ish strategy game that they whipped up, altho you'd have to play the melee part with their combat engine.  And I don't think you can play it online.

Anywho, my personal opinion is that a whole NEW strategy game should be coded for UQM.  SC1 was nice, but it was way too hard to tell which stars were connected to one another the first couple times you played a scenario.  Personally, I'd prefer something a little more intuitive.  Maybe a static starmap with dotted lines connecting "adjacent" stars?  Or, to make it more SC2-ish, you could just make it so that each piece has a certain amount of movement points available each turn, which they have to spend to move through space.  Moving ships from star to star would be kind of like moving from star to star in the existing adventure game, except you'd be spending MP instead of fuel and there wouldn't be any hyperspace or in-system navigation.  This would also give the faster ships a nifty strategic advantage (and maybe you could give Arilou the ability to move directly to any place on the map if you wanted to get really crazy).

Gagh.  I went a little overboard there.  Anyway, I don't think it would be too hard to make a new strategy game, and I think it would be a nice opportunity to improve on the craziness of the original.

-dio
Kelju_Ivan
Zebranky food

Rankka Ankka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 11:27:14 pm »

In the original game Arilous could fly past any fortifications while all other ships had to stop there. There were many fun little things like that in the game, which was nice.
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2002, 03:46:50 am »

I agree that the rotating starfield can be improved on.

Other than that, I think part of the game's appeal was it's relative simplicity.  You didn't have to worry about different ships having different speeds etc etc.  Only 4 ships had abilities on the map, and all of them were straigtforward.

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
Zeroarmy
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2002, 06:47:20 am »

I'm pretty sure that Timewarp has a SC1-ish strategy game that they whipped up, altho you'd have to play the melee part with their combat engine.  And I don't think you can play it online.

Anywho, my personal opinion is that a whole NEW strategy game should be coded for UQM.  SC1 was nice, but it was way too hard to tell which stars were connected to one another the first couple times you played a scenario.  Personally, I'd prefer something a little more intuitive.  Maybe a static starmap with dotted lines connecting "adjacent" stars?  Or, to make it more SC2-ish, you could just make it so that each piece has a certain amount of movement points available each turn, which they have to spend to move through space.  Moving ships from star to star would be kind of like moving from star to star in the existing adventure game, except you'd be spending MP instead of fuel and there wouldn't be any hyperspace or in-system navigation.  This would also give the faster ships a nifty strategic advantage (and maybe you could give Arilou the ability to move directly to any place on the map if you wanted to get really crazy).

Gagh.  I went a little overboard there.  Anyway, I don't think it would be too hard to make a new strategy game, and I think it would be a nice opportunity to improve on the craziness of the original.

-dio

Well yeah it is a bit annoying when you first play, but then it takes less time to figure out then that of the basics of SCII (at least it did for me). At first I learned to use fortifications to mark where I had to move (anything not on the main path didn't have a fortification unless it had one when the game started) and then it became quite easy to naviagate (just be glad it's not like SCIII). But, anyway, SCI is a classic which shows how SCII came to be, so if it is ever made for modern pcs it should never be messed with (it would be a waste when it's much easier to toy with SCII anyway).

In the original game Arilous could fly past any fortifications while all other ships had to stop there. There were many fun little things like that in the game, which was nice.

Yeah and Ur-Quan ships would take out fortifications without having to besiege.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 05, 2002, 06:51:55 am by Zeroarmy » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length