The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:12 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Mmrn-Mhrn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Mmrn-Mhrn  (Read 11419 times)
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
Re: Mmrn-Mhrn
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2003, 05:12:23 am »

yup, did u make that up or get it from somewhere.

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2003, 10:53:01 am »

100% make believe. But it might be true. We will never know.

What's up doc?
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
Re: Mmrnmhrm
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2003, 11:37:17 pm »

Taking this thread on another, completely different angle, did anyone ever notice how both the Mmrnmhrm and Slylandro Probes have a similar captian's picture; A central spire with 2 smaller but similar spires? While the Mmrnmhrm's spires are made of metal disks, and they Slylandro probes' apear to be impaled crystals, the question can still be asked; do they share a similar construction and do the Melnorme hold the key to the Mmrnmhrm's mysterious orgins?

Of course the Melnorme will tell you they hold the keys to all mysteries, and they probably do.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2003, 12:17:29 am »

Could be a fluke as well. I mean, several organic lifeforms seem to share the same characteristics (bipedal, dual-eyed that type of thing). The same could go for mechanic lifeforms, they might just have been constructed to the most efficent shape, and therefore resemble eachother.

What's up doc?
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2003, 03:43:32 am »

well most pcs look the same

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2003, 08:51:41 pm »

yes, but most PCs weren't designed ten or more thousand years apart by different species.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2003, 11:19:54 pm »

Relative timescale. Most intelligcent organic follows a pattern of efficebncy, so do mechanical lifeforms/constructs. Also worth noting is that the Slylandro aren't actually sentient (as far as we know), so the similarity may be a pure coincidence.

What's up doc?
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2003, 02:03:52 am »

animals only look similar (four limbs, 2eyes) becaus we only know of animals on earth and they evolved from the same single cell (or god made them all sorta the same, what ever u believe)

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2003, 02:18:20 am »

Syreen have two eyes. Traddash have two eyes. Shofixti have two eyes. Druuge have two eyes. All these also have two legs and two arms, as far as we can tell. Yehat have eyes, and kinda legs arms/wings. And they most certainly didn't evolve from our cells. I'm talking SC universe here, seeing as we are comparing M:bots and probes, neither of which exists on Earth.

So, allowing for assuming SC to be real, it would seem that a large number of intelligent organic species settle on shapes that are quite similar. Therefore, i theoretize that the same might be true for mechanic lifeforms.

NOTE: I'm still not convinced we can compare the M:bots and the probe though, afetr all, the probe isn't sentient, it's just a cnstruct.

What's up doc?
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2003, 02:48:15 am »

Add to that: Everything we've seen in SC universe except for Chenjesu, Chmmr, Umgah, and some of the non-sentient creatures are bi-laterally symmetric, even the Slylandro and Orz (well, Orz's *fingers* are symmetric, its *body* might be bi-universally symmetric and non-symmetric at the same time).
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2003, 04:01:46 am »

well thats becaus starcontrol was made by half people from earth, and half gods that lived on earth for a while

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2003, 11:41:28 am »

You're straying Chrispy. If we are to discuss something like hat guesst put forward (Why do the probes and M:bots look so similar, perhaps the Melnorme know somethign about the M:bots?), then it's hardly a valid argument to say "Well, they were both designed by the same guys, the guys what did the game." If we are discussing theories inside the SC universe, we have to stay inside the universe.

I mean, otherwise a simple soluition to the Orz/Androsynth question would be "Well the Androsynth disappeared and the Orz appeared because that's the way the Creators wrote the story.". Now while this is very true, maybe you can see where I'm going here?

What's up doc?
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
Mmrnmhrm
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2003, 04:26:50 pm »

You cannot compare the Mmrnmhrm to the Slylandro Probe controling unit. The Mmrnmhrm are able to leave their ships (otherwise it would be hard for them to run a starbase as in the Oath of Fealty required, the probe-controlling unit is not (at least it is not likely to me).
The Mmrnmhrm are several on one ship, the control unit is the only one on board. (Maybe with smaller backupsystems standing at both sides?)
And with the probes it could just be an image out of the catalog.

BTW: How were the station-located Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm able to penetrate the shield. They must be able to come out of it the same way to give you some captains for some Broodhomes or so. Except if the Process made that option not available.
What would/will the Kzer-Za do if they'd come to refuel the station and found none on board, but all on the planet? Surely they would recognize what's going on... Or have the Mmrnmhrm and the Chenjesu planed to be finished with the Process by then? Maybe their refueling time was at a lot longer intervals than earth (because the Mmrnmhrm live nearly forever and the Chenjesu are also nearly everliving people)?
And why does their station still have fuel and earths not? (Okay, nobody is left to use the energy.)

Just letting my thoughts drift...
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2003, 05:58:20 pm »

I know you are all going to yell on me (again....) but...

in sc3(your favourite line  Tongue) and there are some clues in sc2 the chenjesu/mmrhmrn aren't "real races". M:bots ( like some of us call them) came from the uniqe artifact called "mother ark" of our beloved race the "precrusders" ( I think I wrote it wrong... nm) and the chenjesu... well no one really knows but it seems they came from a. eternals ones or b. mr. p. So why the probes look like m:bots? One reason only! The melnorme(again, I am not sure I wrote it correctly) are the mael-num that knew mr.p!!!

Yell as much as you can/want. But that is my thought...

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
Mmrnmhrm
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2003, 06:18:15 pm »

In SC3 the Crux just suggests that the Chenjesu are not natural. There is no proof for it. And if they are: why didn't the Taalo summon the eternalones during the sentient milieu, especially after the Dnyarri took over the milieu and their intelligence should offer enough food for the eternalones? The Chenjesu are after what's been told to you only the backup... But the Taalo just dissapear (*slide*) and do not return (they are not dead).

And silicon-based evolution is not that unlikely...

And the Mmrnmhrm are artificial. But they are inteligent.

BTW: in SC3, the mother ark is on a rainbow-world. In SC2 there is a bit of text, if i remember right, telling you a motherark arrived to this region of space and built these cuddly little robots until it broke down. The Mmrnmhrm just settled near where they were *born*. Yet you find no proof of Mmrnmhrms in the Kessari-Quadrant. The Daktaklakpak are not Mmrnmhrm-like, since they were built as sub-sentient service-vehicles. The Mmrnmhrm were built to be intelligent and sentient beings. Therefor i do not believe that the Daktaklakpak came from an other motherark with the same abilities to manufacture Mmrnmhrms.

And i do believe that SC3 is a great novel based on the SC2-universe (it's not very interactive, too much things are time-based and the ICOM brings you always back to the supposed story-line), but i do not consider it canon, until Infogrames brings on a real good sequel with the complexity of SC2, thus inviting a damned lot of new players into the SC-universe. Since most of these fans wouldn't know otherwise, SC3 would become canon.
But to be real good, too many riddles have been solved in SC3 (no more precursors-seeking, any race can easily be found asking a nice Ortog to use the instruments on the C.U.D. to scan the galaxy, the eternal1's are no danger anymore (you could bring copies of the sentience-cellector to other galaxies, sparing them the worst fate). And the other dimensions in SC3 were really a sucker (especially the quasispace portals). I really hated those!! No fuel-sparing alternative, no other backgroundmusic,... And the Arilou stopped talking. Nothing for your automatic shiplog to record! Why did they get a communications screen? Just the talk should have been enough then....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length