The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:45:48 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Mmrn-Mhrn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Mmrn-Mhrn  (Read 11418 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: Mmrnmhrm
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2003, 10:36:33 pm »

How do the Syreen compell a machine to jump intospace and serve as their slave? And why does the machine die after a short while in space?

Because the aren't machines. They are sentient, albeit mechanical lifeforms. They have, for lack of better word, a soul. A psyche if you will. They probably dream and strive, just like biological sentience. Therefore it stands to reason that they can be affected by pshycic powers. I always took the fact that the M:bots were affected by Sirensong to be irresputible proof that they are sentient beings and not just very clever computer programs.

As for why they die in space... Maybe they aren't well shielded? Background radiation in space could "wipe their harddrives" so to speak. Maybe the abolute cold slowly afefcts their systems and freezes their neural thought patterns solid?

As for the SC3 thing that seems to be brewing ehre again: As Death_999 said, its all a matter of choice. some people wish to follow the SC3 timeline, and I do not take it upon myself to tell them that they are wrong, and that that ridiculous story about cows is no true SC. Likewise, I expect them not to tell me that all my pondering is in vain, because a official solution already exists which answers all my pointless questions. Live and let live.

What's up doc?
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
Mmrnmhrm
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2003, 11:15:30 pm »

Lukipela: Good reasoning why they jump into and die in space...

Koowluh: If the Mmrnmhrm had their own blueprints, i think they could replicate themselves. Most probably the Melnorme studied the Mmrnmhrm and tried to replicate some of their technologies, behaviour and style, as well as some design features. But seeing how simple the programming interface for Sullen Plummet is, i do believe the optical similarities are pure coincidence.

Regarding SC3: It is not canon (for me), but nonetheless i liked it. They solved far too many unsolvable riddles (who, what and where the Precursors were, are and are going), although i found the cow idea one of their best ideas in SC3. But I'd liked to know more about the Mark II (the promised sequel), the Orz *everything story*, the Arilou-Human relationship (do they stil visit shielded earth, or can earth being shielded not assume the dangerous *smell* others are searching for?); the Orz-Arilou-situation; how the Druuge would fare now that everybody knows about these vilains; the Supox-Utwig symbiotic relationship; the Pkunk-Yehat-Shofixti crammed situation on the Yehat homeworld; ...
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2003, 03:24:40 am »

When I read this thread and saw this, I just thought of a Voyager show I saw once, where they happened upon all these sentient robots ("We have one like you that works with us.  We call him Data.").  Basic idea of the story was they were trying to force the crew to help fabricate some part to fix one of them.  We ended up finding out that there were these two groups of robots fighting one another and this was going to be a big capability of this group to help finally defeat the other side.  Maybe the Mmrnmhrm are similar?  Sentient robot beings programmed to act like a lifeform in every way, but not programmed with the know-how to repair themselves?  Or more properly how to construct themselves?

Koowluh: If the Mmrnmhrm had their own blueprints, i think they could replicate themselves.

Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2003, 01:22:00 pm »

When I read this thread and saw this, I just thought of a Voyager show I saw once, where they happened upon all these sentient robots ("We have one like you that works with us.  We call him Data.").  

You mean this episode, right?

Maybe the Mmrnmhrm are similar?  Sentient robot beings programmed to act like a lifeform in every way, but not programmed with the know-how to repair themselves?  Or more properly how to construct themselves?

Well, the basic idea of preventing a bunch of robots from getting out of control by preventing them from duplicating some critical part of themselves makes sense. In the Voyager episode, the critical component was the power supply. What I found odd was the fact that the robots couldn't produce a power supply using a different technology or adapt other parts to fit a different power supply, while an ex-Maquis engineer with half an education solved the problem in no time.

IMHO, it would have made more sense if some part which couldn't be replaced without defeating the purpose of the exercise, such as their brains, would have been the part they couldn't duplicate. Producing something that mimics the output of the brain would be kind of pointless (unless you like zombies); you'd have to examine its inner workings in detail to build a new sentient creature (unless you already know how to do it, of course). Building a robot brain that self-destructs in some fashion when tampered with shouldn't be too hard, and the Mmrnmhrm probably wouldn't want to take chances with their limited numbers.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2003, 02:03:16 pm »

Nonono, I didn't say the Mmrnmhrm have their own blueprints, I meant to say it was of Mmrnmhrm DESIGN.
Sorry. But that could also be.... Alas we cannot talk with the Chmmr about it. But seeing that the Mmrnmhrm are not interested ingaining personal advantages, i think it is improbably that they sold a design to the Mael-Num/Melnorme. Seeing that the Melnorme are an old race, i do believe the Melnorme yould design something like that Probe themselves. Which brings me to the question why the Melnorme did not send some on a mission to find the Rainbowworlds or other sentient beings to trade with....

Well, what the heck....

Greetings,
Martin
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2003, 03:48:00 pm »

Which brings me to the question why the Melnorme did not send some on a mission to find the Rainbowworlds or other sentient beings to trade with....

For the Melnorme in the region, the whole Ur-Quan/Sa-Matra situation is a major business risk. It is in their best interests to get rid of the Sa-Matra (and preferably the Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah, too), but they can not risk direct action, as this may precipitate a Kohr-Ah investigation and a subsequent invasion. Therefore, it makes sense for the Melnorme to support the Human captain. However, Melnorme moral standards preclude donating the information to the captain, which means that they have to come up with something which would be useful to them that is easily accessible to the captain.

In other words, the trading is just an excuse to give you stuff. Smiley

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
Re: Mmrn-Mhrn
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2003, 07:15:36 pm »

this game is asking for a GOOD sequel.

Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2003, 07:41:20 pm »

That'd be the one.

And I agree with that one too - standard lack of sense of plot that were in all the Star Trek shows after Roddenberry died.  But I thought of it here, because I thought it brought out a plausible explanation of the M-bot repair thing brought out in this thread...maybe they are incapable programming-wise of repairing themselves or synthesizing more...

Could be a great reason they opted for the synthesis scheme with the Chenjesu too.

You mean this episode, right?

What I found odd was the fact that the robots couldn't produce a power supply using a different technology or adapt other parts to fit a different power supply, while an ex-Maquis engineer with half an education solved the problem in no time.

Spurk
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Mmrn-Mhrn
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2003, 10:38:48 pm »

Speaking of Star Trek, in the most recent episode of Enterprise, some of the crew were looking for the lost city of Urquat and every time they started to say it, I expected them to finish it Urquan. Smiley
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2003, 12:07:15 am »

They could have always traded an artifact or something which they then gave away to another species (a power supply for a hunam starbase for example Wink ).

...in our culture, `giving'
with no fair exchange of goods or services,
is considered vulgar and inappropriate.
Please do not mention this subject again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length