The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:56:14 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  help?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: help?  (Read 5783 times)
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
help?
« on: September 19, 2003, 03:43:35 am »

Hello all again. Me and my "calls" for help.

First before we get to the point, I remind you that you don't have to help because it has nothing to do with uqm, and even if it was, you still didn't had to. still, I ask (beg if you want) you to help me!
A.Some web site put url icon in my desktop and I CAN'T DELETE IT!!! I have tried anything! Through dos, through my computer through desktop, through "add remove programs". Absolutly nothing!!!
B. 800 mb in c: drive suppose to be full but it isn't true. How do I "free" it. It is extremly important since I have only 3.24 GB in c:(yea yea laugh).

Btw: I asked here because no where else has answers. Even microsoft site. I challenge you nic to prove that I am wrong!(or sage Cheesy) -jk(but you can try if you want)

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Paxtez
*Many bubbles*

Joystick Jedi

View Profile
Re: help?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 04:28:24 am »

A) What error do you get when you try to delete it?
B) I don't know what you mean, how do you know its supposed to be full, how do you know it isn't?

....Paxtez....
Yehat_Sympathizer
Frungy champion

jie2 do1ng fe1ng

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 04:30:34 am »

A real dodgy way of doing it would be to search the registry for the name of the icon. it might help.
Also, search all directories for the last modified date. And you could get a better antivirus program to check for trojans
Sage
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 05:07:01 am »

Ewww...It sounds like you've gotten Klez. I've gotten that too...my condolences.

Thankfully you're still on the net. When I was infected by Klez, it was disguised as a Starcraft map file (I run a starcraft site by the way, so map submissions are common things). And it killed my internet connection.

If I could've gotten online, I could have used a Virus Scanner with up to date virus entries, for free. I suffered a great fate by losing my internet. Don't let the same happen to you.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 05:08:25 am by sageallen » Logged
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 05:10:32 am »

That is odd, I have the BEST antivirus and security program...

And I can tell by simple way. It tell me lets say, 2.8 GB is full but when I select all files and press "propeties" it says it takes ONLY 1.8 for example.

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 05:15:06 am »

WHAT?!

A malware.worm_nachi.a has passed a presonal fire wall + norton security 2003 + 3 antivirus full scans!?!?
And it attacked my memory... now that is really odd!

How? who? why? when?

Btw: thanx sage!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 05:21:10 am by Deep_Jiffa » Logged

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
bigfoot256
Frungy champion

So, which one of you is the Fot?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 06:33:24 am »

Sure its not a parasite? Try http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/.

So, Hunam, how would you like to threaten me today?
Glitch
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 11:41:35 am »

And I can tell by simple way. It tell me lets say, 2.8 GB is full but when I select all files and press "propeties" it says it takes ONLY 1.8 for example.

That's actually normal, and it happens with all hard drives.  The first reason is that hard drive manufacturers usually "cheat" a little bit with the numbers.  For example, a GB contains 1,073,741,824 bytes.  HD manufacturers round that down to 1,000,000,000 bytes when they make their numbers.  So, for example, a drive that contains 21,474,836,480 bytes they call a 21.4 GB drive even though it's really only a 20.0 GB drive.  Your operating system uses the correct number, so it will say that this is 20.0 GB.  Also, most operating systems use a lot of overhead for laying out the file system, and this space gets taken out of the total.  So you could have a "21.4 GB" drive that gets full when your OS says there's only 17 or 18 GB of stuff on it.  It's completely normal and happens with EVERY hard drive.

edit: Right after I posted this, someone showed me this link: http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030918/tech_computers_suit_1.html
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 11:49:19 am by Glitch » Logged
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 12:49:00 pm »

This is a known problem with most file systems, especially Windows FAT. Most file systems allocate file space using blocks of a fixed size  (usually 4, 8, 16 or 32 KB). If the file system contains a lot of small files (UQM is a notorious offender, if you aren't using zipped content (hey, I managed to get this thread on topic Smiley)), you end up wasting a lot of disk space by storing small files in large blocks. A more detailed description can be found here.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Glitch
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 08:05:12 pm »

This is a known problem with most file systems, especially Windows FAT. Most file systems allocate file space using blocks of a fixed size  (usually 4, 8, 16 or 32 KB). If the file system contains a lot of small files (UQM is a notorious offender, if you aren't using zipped content (hey, I managed to get this thread on topic Smiley)), you end up wasting a lot of disk space by storing small files in large blocks. A more detailed description can be found here.
That has nothing to do with what he's talking about.  The slack space is included when you check the file properties.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 08:05:48 pm by Glitch » Logged
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2003, 04:56:36 pm »

FAT... wow I remember it from my first or second computer! Grin

I don't use FAT. Only FAT32 on d:\ and e:\ and NFTS on c:\. And I don't think it is the problem because one day it was ok(meaning maybe 50-100 mb were "missing") and the other day 500 mb were "missing". I thought xp suppose to be a good OS.( In the "good" times I had windows 2000.)

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2003, 05:19:04 pm »

Ok I have found the source of the ultimate "evil". But.......

Justifing his name for ultimate, when you try to delete it it says:

Cannot read file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

I am about to sue aol.... But I am a man of peace not war. Stop me before something bad will happen.

And for another thing,
Sage, What is BKDR SDBOT.GEN? The housecall can't remove it because it is in c:\winnt\system32\cmst.exe file.

Btw: funny thing. After the housecall found a virus, my norton 2003 "jumped in" and said it removed the virus and took credit for it!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 05:42:38 pm by Deep_Jiffa » Logged

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2003, 08:06:14 pm »

You people takes things seriously here.

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Sage
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2003, 09:17:11 pm »

Sage, What is BKDR SDBOT.GEN? The housecall can't remove it because it is in c:\winnt\system32\cmst.exe file.

According to this page and many others, no cmst.exe is targetted for infection by BKDR SDBOT.GEN. In fact, I can't even find a page on the net with the string "cmst.exe". That being the case, I'd say just outright delete the file. Or you can quarantine it somehow.

Also: If it says a file can't be cleaned, there is a "Delete" button there that you can use to, you guessed it, delete the file. Next time you scan with that, I recommend you delete any files it can't clean. It's safer that way, methinks.
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 10:09:47 pm »

OK, now I am getting nervous...

Another 300 mb disappeared today! I didn't install anything.
I am sure it is a virus or something but I can't find it!
Help!!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 10:10:12 pm by Deep_Jiffa » Logged

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length