The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:24:41 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The road goes ever on: The Road to 0.4, #1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The road goes ever on: The Road to 0.4, #1  (Read 14636 times)
TD
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: The road goes ever on: The Road to 0.4, #1
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2003, 05:03:33 am »

This is a port, not a remake. Play Timewarp if you want pretty visuals (pity the AI sucks)
Michael Martin
Core Team
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 05:05:24 am »

Would it be possible for someone to make a mod that would change the nature of the game beyond adding ships? Something like making a new sc1-stragety type game using UQM's code as a jumping off point? Just a thought. Also, what about updated graphics and increased turning slices?

The only general answer for this is: "Look at the code."  If it's in the code as code (that is, there are functions that do it, or, worse, it gets done inside about 30 functions scattered through the system), the answer is almost certainly "no, not for 1.0, 1.0 is straight port."  If it's in the code as data (big initializers somewhere), then the answer is "maybe, if it's easy and convert it over."  And if it's already in the data, you'll be able to replace that content already in 0.3, just by making an appropriate addon pack.
Parker
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2003, 09:13:18 pm »

That's bad news about the 3DO videos.  I'm guessing that to get them to work in the future 0.4 release you would just need to drop them in the content directory?

If someone were to take those videos, package and distribute them over a decentralized peer network such as BitTorrent, would a link to the package be allowed on this forum, provided that no copyrighted material is being hosted on any servers related to the project?
Nic.

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2003, 11:26:33 pm »

Has a "credits remix" been considered?  We have highly talented musicians working on the game's score, and (from looking at fansites), quite capable visual artists who could make nice intro/outro sequences for the game.  Combine the two, (using Ogg Theora or somesuch audio/video codec) and I think you'd be in business.  I'd think there would be very little difficulty in "clean-rooming" the videos, as it were, outside of finding the time to do it.

Since the "official" videos are copyrighted, and as such off-limits, why not roll up our sleeves and get some public-domain replacements made?  I would volunteer to help render frames if it would help in any perceivable way.
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 02:00:27 am »

can we get this topic stickied? Just in case the devs want to give us a quick update.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 02:00:41 am by guesst » Logged

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2003, 05:14:07 am »

Sounds like a great idea.

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Hory

Email
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2003, 05:17:06 am »

Yeah, i'd want those videos too, from some P2P app. Someone should pack them and release them... I don't think Accolade or who has (C) gives a F. about them anymore anyway.

And too bad there won't be internet multiplayer (melee). I was really looking forward to that and to SC1-like strategy but with SC2 ships too. Yeah... "it's just a port". You did a good job anyway!
Michael Martin
Core Team
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2003, 11:01:00 am »

can we get this topic stickied? Just in case the devs want to give us a quick update.

I was kind of planning to post the updates in separate threads as development went along.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2003, 01:40:01 pm »

Has a "credits remix" been considered?  We have highly talented musicians working on the game's score, and (from looking at fansites), quite capable visual artists who could make nice intro/outro sequences for the game.

If we produce new animations for UQM, we can base them on the PC or 3DO version or combine the best aspects of both. Especially in the case of the intro, the PC version seems to provide more background. Anyway, I'd like to point out that we need not and should not do a one-to-one copy of the 3DO videos; that could be interpreted as a derivative work, which would put us back at square one.

Since the "official" videos are copyrighted, and as such off-limits, why not roll up our sleeves and get some public-domain replacements made?  I would volunteer to help render frames if it would help in any perceivable way.

Considering that we can now play the 3DO videos, the easy way out from a development standpoint would be to persuade whoever owns the videos (Atari, I think, since they bought Infogrames who bought Accolade) to allow us to distribute the 3DO videos. Of course, this may be difficult in the business sense.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
chmmravatar
*Many bubbles*

WHAT IS DONE IS DONE

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2003, 02:13:05 pm »

One would assume that any letter sent to Atari about Star Control 2 would result with the response "Star Control what?" and they would throw it away, or deny the rights. I honestly doubt anyone in their legal departmen has ever heard of, let alone played SC2.

ps. Atari didn't buy Infogrames, Infogrames bought the right to call their company Atari, and gobbled up whatever parts of an actual Atari existed, or at least that's how I read it.
Michael Martin
Core Team
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2003, 08:44:19 pm »

One would assume that any letter sent to Atari about Star Control 2 would result with the response "Star Control what?" and they would throw it away, or deny the rights.

Crystal Dynamics contracted some people to do the 3DO videos of Star Control 2 -- Accolade wasn't involved at all.

I don't recall whether Crystal Dynamics holds the rights or whether it wasn't a work for hire.  Some research was done into this early on in the project, but I can't get at the sc2-dev lists right now (SourceForge is being screwy).
Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2003, 10:48:41 pm »

Personally I Think the game should not end after the Sa-Matra is destroyed, add addtional story I was thinking that after u destroy it the Chmmr will move a mass abundance of minerals to Unzelvault and in 10 years u have another precursor ship complete this time and have the chance to meet the other milleu races by expanding the starmap beyond your regoin of space.  maybe u could also show the ur-quan and Kor-ah's reaction to it.  And seriously don't F*** with the hyperspace u can't beat the PC version.

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2003, 12:11:01 am »

I see you are new here terminator. Good luck and have fun!

Two things.
1. There is already "The Road to 0.4 #2" post there instead of here.
2. They are NOT going to change anything about the plot, play timewarp if you want new plot( better than nothing...)

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
bigfoot256
Frungy champion

So, which one of you is the Fot?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2003, 08:20:20 am »

Eh, play Timewarp for graphics; it has little to no plot. I guess if you want plot, you'll have to play Star Control 3.  Tongue

So, Hunam, how would you like to threaten me today?
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2003, 09:01:56 am »

So... Like bitfoot says, in other words if you want a plot, create one of your own!

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length