The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:56:22 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Downloading Star Control 3 for free?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Downloading Star Control 3 for free?  (Read 10149 times)
Matthew W. Carey

Email
Downloading Star Control 3 for free?
« on: October 28, 2003, 01:40:24 am »

Is there a place on the internet that I can download Star Control 3 for free? I have beat Star control 1 and 2. If downloaded those off the internet for free, why can't I download Star Control 3 for free?

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: Downloading Star Control 3 for free?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 01:50:06 am »

Legal Technicalities. I don't know what the policy is omn these boards (has the question ever been brought up formally?), but downloading SC3 would be illegal. Technically, the same goes for SC1 and SC2. The only legal download you can make is UQM. I'm sure it's possible to find SC3 out there, but once more, I'm unsure of boardf policy in such matters... I know the SC boards forbids any pirate trading. Any mods want to clear this up?

What's up doc?
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 01:52:32 am »

The reason is that the original creators don't own the rights to SC3. They own all the rights to SC2 except the name "Star Control" (which is why that isn't in the remake's title). So they haven't released it as free because they didn't even make it.

Besides, SC3 wasn't very good in large part becasue Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III didn't make it. It wasn't terrible, but Sc3 is a pretty mediocre game.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 02:42:01 am »

Why not try Timewarp? http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=13354&release_id=187537
http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/timewarp/
It's not quite finished yet, but most people who've played SC3 will tell you that TW's melee beats SC3's hands down.
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 02:48:27 am »

True, but IMO UQM's melee beats Timewarp's. Timewarp has messed up physics and almost all the new ships are overpowered, worthless, unoriginal, or just poorly designed. No offense intended, but I don't like timewarp that much.
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 06:49:56 pm »

True, but IMO UQM's melee beats Timewarp's. Timewarp has messed up physics and almost all the new ships are overpowered, worthless, unoriginal, or just poorly designed. No offense intended, but I don't like timewarp that much.

Do you mean SC3 melee beats Timewarp's?  Because I think its fairly obvious that UQM's would beat Timewarps.  And the new ships, just ignore them.

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 11:10:52 pm »

I know where but I don't know if it is legal for me to post it here. If not, I will send you a private messege( again if it is legal) if not again, sorry.

But, I know where you can download a great game, abandoned one. Go to www.the-underdogs.org
it is called "Spy's Adventure: North America". Search in S, not by game's name, trust me.... Grin

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 01:44:13 am »

Oh yeah, I had forgotten that timewarp has sc3 ships.
Matthew w. Carey

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 11:50:43 pm »

Thanks for the info - The reason I was able to download 1 and 2 was because I had  "certain connections to a certain Star Control 1 and 2 programmer".  Wink  
Paxtez
*Many bubbles*

Joystick Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 11:00:02 am »

There is no such thing as 'abondonware', it is not legal to download it from anywhere.  Geez people...

If you are going to pirate software, don't lie to yourself or others thinking its ok (not saying it isn't).  Asking in a forum for the fans of the games where to pirate it, will not earn you any points.  Think about it, most of us here bought the game.  You don't go into a metallica forum and ask where you can download thier songs for free.  You don't go to theforce.net and ask where you can download the starwars games/movies.  Use a little common sense.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-piracy. But I am anti-stupid people.)

....Paxtez....
bombastic

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 03:36:17 pm »

There is no such thing as 'abondonware', it is not legal to download it from anywhere.  Geez people...

If you are going to pirate software, don't lie to yourself or others thinking its ok (not saying it isn't).  Asking in a forum for the fans of the games where to pirate it, will not earn you any points.  Think about it, most of us here bought the game.  You don't go into a metallica forum and ask where you can download thier songs for free.  You don't go to theforce.net and ask where you can download the starwars games/movies.  Use a little common sense.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-piracy. But I am anti-stupid people.)

sc3 is evil -- who cares
it's not like people give link to TFB games, sc3 wasn't created by them anyway, and it's a really bad game in all ways possible compared to Sc2. wow 3d!!! but what good is it in 3d if you can't move your ship right?!
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 04:11:23 pm »

Really? Spy's adventures isn't an abondonware? Grin I think after about 20 years it becomes abondonware, go to the underdog for info. I didn't say anything about sc3... That game isn't abandonware, so shame on the people who helped him to get this game for free! Shame!

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 09:29:58 pm »

There is no such thing as 'abondonware', it is not legal to download it from anywhere.

By the most common definition, there *is* such a thing as 'abandonware'. The word doesn't imply that it's legal to download it, only that the software is no longer commercially available, nor maintained.

If you are going to pirate software, don't lie to yourself or others thinking its ok (not saying it isn't).  Asking in a forum for the fans of the games where to pirate it, will not earn you any points.

I've got big objections to the word "pirate".
Copying some piece of software may be illegal, it may be immoral, but it doesn't involve pirates. (*)
Big companies often love to use the words "piracy" and "theft" when refering to copyright violations, because it's in their interest to assign copyright violations the same moral value as commonly associated with pirates and thieves.
The problem with this is that this view basically only allows black and white, and hence leaves no room for abandonware.
If this really is the filosophy you want to propagate, that's up to you. If not, I suggest you be a bit more careful about your choice of words in the future.

(*)  Note that legality may differ per jurisdiction, and morals are often imposed by society, and are open to discussion. Personally, I don't consider copying abandonware as immoral, illegal that it may be.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Paxtez
*Many bubbles*

Joystick Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2003, 02:42:48 pm »

Snipped from random abandonware page....
According to U.S. Law and International Treaties, a copyright belongs to the author of a software product for 70 years beyond the life of the author or 95 years after the copyright date if the work is done by a corporation or anonymous source.  Before that time expires, nobody (except the author) has the right to copy that piece of software.
</snip>

Again, I'm not anti-piracy/anti-abandonware/anti-whatever.  Heck, I can't remember the last piece of software I bought (To any FBI reading this: Just kidding!  Smiley ).  I just think it would be better to look around in other places instead of just asking in a forum for the fans of a series of games, its just lazy.  Espically after you know the magic 'abandonware' word, all you need is google. *shrug*

Fan-Sites: Talk about games.
Pirate&Abandonware Sites: Talk about where to get games.

(I find it odd that this bothers me so, considering my software purchasing habits.)

....Paxtez....
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2003, 04:00:59 pm »

And ofcourse we don't want an angry Accolade man that accidently came to this forum and read these posts to demand to delete these post or even worse to shut us down ( it can work in US).

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length