The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:49:09 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  "upgrade" from .2 to .3, manual install
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "upgrade" from .2 to .3, manual install  (Read 3092 times)
We Come In Receptacles

Email
"upgrade" from .2 to .3, manual install
« on: December 24, 2003, 09:40:02 am »

Hello,
I'm going to scrap my version .2 game in progress in order to try out .3 release and the new tunes.
Sorry if these are dumb questions.

1st question:  can I transfer my saved game files from my .2 game and use them when .3 is installed?

2nd question:  do I need to download the vers .3 speech files?  I'm using dialup so I'd rather not, but I definitely don't want sound weirdness to crop up when I'm into the game.
I noticed my saved copy of vers. .2 speech zip is different size than .3.

(above question applies to vers .3 3DO sound zip, even though I probably won't be using it).

3rd question:  I've already downloaded the seperate zip files...could someone point me to a faq that says where to put these (or reply here)?  Also, whether or not you unzip them first.  I'm sorry, I couldn't find information on how to do all this when installing the game manually for windows...I did find instructions for the new add-ons though.

thanks very much in advance!!
We Come In Receptacles

Email
Re: "upgrade" from .2 to .3, manual inst
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 08:44:34 pm »

update...got game running, using old voice .zip.

The voice seems OK sometimes, but sometimes there are pauses...I think I saw someone mention a similar problem in another post.

Is this a bug of some kind, or could my machine be a bit too slow?  Running w98 on pII 400, 320meg ram.  Using 640x480 res, auto color depth, openGL drivers, fullscreen, -q = high, and the addon remixes.
I ran the same options on vers .2 and didn't have any pauses in speech..only other difference was using 3DO sound instead of remixes.

....thanks
Michael Martin
Core Team
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 08:43:28 am »

Lower your audio quality.  -q high -- especially with the MODs -- will stress even a PIII800 and leave very little time per frame left over for everything else.
We Come In Receptacles

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 09:42:17 am »

Lower your audio quality.  -q high -- especially with the MODs -- will stress even a PIII800 and leave very little time per frame left over for everything else.

thanks Michael for the reply.
here's the thing, though...I've been playing the game all evening, and the stutter only happened at the beginning of the game when the Ur-Quan drone (or whatever it's called) gives you a warning.  All other speech dialogue has been stutter-free, except for occasional pause after I choose a response.  If it shouldn't be that way, I don't know how I'm getting away with it.  My video card is only 8 meg, too.

I started the game twice to confirm, and it stuttered again on that one part only.  

While I have you here, can you tell me if the compiled windows download @ sourceforge includes openal?  I assume "mixsdl" is the default.

Also I'm still wondering what (if anything) I'll miss by using my .2 speech zip vs. the new one?

thanks again
Mika
Core Team
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 04:15:43 pm »

All other speech dialogue has been stutter-free, except for occasional pause after I choose a response.

The pause after choosing response happens because you use v0.2 voice .zip, which is compressed; v0.3 one is built with "don't compress" option so it's much faster for game to unpack the oggs, with almost no effect on size of zip. If you don't want to download v0.3 voices, you should repack the zip yourself without compression.

I don't remember exactly what changes we made for the voices between 0.2 and 0.3 but you probably miss some subtitle related fixes (wrong text/synchronization).

Windows executable of uqm includes openal by default, you can enable it with --sound=openal
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 04:19:07 pm by admin » Logged
We Come In Receptacles

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 12:39:25 am »

The pause after choosing response happens because you use v0.2 voice .zip, which is compressed; v0.3 one is built with "don't compress" option so it's much faster for game to unpack the oggs, with almost no effect on size of zip. If you don't want to download v0.3 voices, you should repack the zip yourself without compression.

I don't remember exactly what changes we made for the voices between 0.2 and 0.3 but you probably miss some subtitle related fixes (wrong text/synchronization).

Windows executable of uqm includes openal by default, you can enable it with --sound=openal

Thanks Mika...I will probably just download the new voices file since I can play in meantime  Grin

I tried openal...I love directional sound so would like to use this, and all sounds during melee are fine IIRC.  However, there are pauses in audio when I switch "environments" (i.e. hyperspace vs. menu vs. navigation vs. melee), as well as no sound in during menu, which is no big deal (seen this described by someone else in another post).  
The biggest problem is when I am on planet surface...the soundtrack stops periodically, and there's no sound fx at all.  I'm guessing this is due to taxing my resources, so I'll try options to see if I can get that working.  I'll even try lessening audio quality (-q) as Michael suggested, though I really hate to do it as I love nice sound  Cry

THANKS FOR THE AWESOME GAME GUYS!!!
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length