The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:30:27 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Idea for Interface
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Idea for Interface  (Read 12871 times)
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
Idea for Interface
« on: January 03, 2004, 05:05:28 am »

This is not a suggestion, this is just an idea i got.

what if starcontrol were 3d, but still 3rd person. U could still c both ships from the outside, but their was another direction you could go. ariming would be tricky, but i think it would be awsome for ships like the fury, and the stinger.

sorta like this picture
http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/fan/images/mainman/shofix_umgah2.jpg
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 05:42:53 am by Chrispy » Logged

Nic.

Email
Re: Idea for Interface
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 01:20:44 pm »

I believe you just described the isometric combat view in Star Control 3.  I remember it well; in that I couldn't turn it off fast enough.
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 04:09:31 pm »

It was ok, but kind of sucks because it was like "in-between" 2d and 3d. Or you do it 2d like uqm or you do it 3d like "FreeLancer".

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 06:35:59 pm »

This is not a suggestion, this is just an idea I got.

What if starcontrol were 3d, but still 3rd person. You could still see both ships from the outside, but their was another direction you could go. Ariming would be tricky, but I think it would be awsome for ships like the fury, and the stinger.

sorta like this picture
http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/fan/images/mainman/shofix_umgah2.jpg

Um, no. Adding confusing views to a game with a pretty clear viewing style will not make the game better. It didn't work for SC3.

If you find yourself saying "tricky" that means "steep learning curve" which translates into "people won't like it."

[Guesst puts away his "Gatlin Gun of Shooting Down Ideas"]

On the other had, I think 3-d ship with lighting effects and whatnot would be cool if the 2-d plane and top down view were kept.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 07:57:22 pm »

no no no. not like starcontrol 3. My idea is prolly a bit more confusing, but it has a point for being confusing.
u can actually traval in the 3d plane. it isnt just a 2d plane at an angle. if u could do that in starcontrol3, i was missing out.

Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 02:06:27 am »

Then you mean Starcon, a game so much worse than SC3 that it died in-utero.  (A cross between Xwing vs Tie Fighter and Star Control Melee).
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 05:44:40 am »

i though starcon was first person. I mean a 3rd person game like sc2, but with another plane of dimention.

it would invold the camara moving aroudn a lot.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 05:44:59 am by Chrispy » Logged

Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 11:10:57 am »

4d? Didn't we talk about it in the Orz topic?

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 06:41:47 pm »

no, only 3d. Amagin starcontrol 2, but the ships can more in 3 dimentions. The camara would rotate accordingly if the ships more closer or farther from it.

Ace987
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004, 10:37:07 pm »

I'm pretty confused here, but I believe what your proposing is either impossible to implement and control or has already been done.

If your suggesting something where you can see AND move in 3D yet still keep both ships in view (zooming in and out according to range), it's going to be tough to control and even see your ship(s).

If your suggesting something in 3D where you can see your ship, that's been done in most flight sims. Not sure the exact term, but it's something like "behind the ship view" where you can see a back of your ship.

Either case, your proposing a version of Star Control you move around in 3D which was suppose to be done (maybe not the same way ) in the non-finished game Starcon.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2004, 10:52:33 pm »

its the first one you suggested. I've never seen it done, or heard talk about it.

Ace987
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 12:15:49 am »

I could see it being done with a few different windows. Say for instance, a main overview window showing both ships in a battlefield. Also, you'd have 1 (or 2) smaller windows that shows the forward view of this ship to assit with controls.

What your suggesting is do-able, but besides the cool cinimatics, what would be the point? The player would spend most of their time looking at the flight control window while almost completely ignoring the overview window. This would also change the game from a melee style drastically.

This is actually sounding a lot like the old Star Trek video game from the early 80s. It had a top overview with a forward 3D view. It's pretty crappy, but this may be what your looking for:

http://www.klov.com/S/Star_Trek.html
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 12:23:56 am »

you couldnt have an overvue like starcontrol 2, because the ships could go up and down. thats why you need the camara to pick the closest place between the two, showing the two with equal closeness if that makes any sence.

Ace987
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 12:56:11 am »

Well, that part is easy.. you draw a line from one ship to the other, then make the center of that line the middle of the screen. You can make the zoom based on how far the ships are actually apart, but that still leaves the problem of controls and view.

If you make the battlefield too big, the ships are going to be too small to see and control. It's not bad in Star Control because it's 2D, but controlling a ship of apporixate size in 3D would be tough, that's why I suggested the ship forward view.

Controlling might not be too terrible, play games like Zelda and Mario on Nintendo 64 and Gamecube and you can use something similar. Of course, you kinda control the camera view with those games. With 2 ships moving around chaning the camera view, controlling your ship will be a little more difficult.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004, 12:59:19 am »

for controls, the arrows would be directions, the ships can turn, when your facing the front of the ship, and youd need a seperate thrust key.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length