The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 11:16:52 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Beating the game differently
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: Beating the game differently  (Read 40721 times)
keybounce
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Beating the game differently
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2006, 09:49:10 pm »

((Bump))
Years and YEARS ago, when the PC version was current, before 3d0 was known, I played Sc2. I tried to play it without using the starbase.

From very, very old memory:
1. Getting to the nearest fuel resupply place that I knew of took more than 10 fuel units. After many, many tries, my best effort took me to where I could see the hyperspace entrance into the system, but I did not have the fuel to leave hyperspace.

2. Another approach (details hazy; going to get the device that lets you summon the fuel merchant?) let me reach a planet that I needed to go down to, but not having enough fuel to do so.

So, plain and simple: How do you manage the fuel problem?

As for crew: Without the starbase, the only ways I can think of to get crew are:
1. Regenerating pkkunk (something like 1 in 3 ships will generate additional crew
2. Syreen (Steal crew, but you can't escape from battle and have to kill them with that wimpy frontshot)
3. Mycon (which you can't play as an ally ... or can you?)

So that means, as someone has said, any crewloss in battle and you pretty much have to reload a saved game.

Or is there something about crew that I'm not aware of?

EDIT: Oh -- my "interesting" ending came when I walked away from the computer at one point, came back many hours later (possibly overnight), and found the "end-game" sequence had started. I still tried to finish the game as the Kzer-za were cleaning up all my opposition. Talking pet was really easy to aquire :-)

EDIT2: With all those RU's from killing probes, can't you afford the "unaffordable" item that the traders sell?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 09:52:43 pm by keybounce » Logged

My other computer was a Trs-80 :-)
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2006, 10:02:58 pm »

I never tried the "beating the game differently" technique, so I really can't vouch for many of my answers having much merit. However, I seem to recall that Alpha Centauri is only ~4-6 fuel units away from Sol, so you should be able to reach the Melnorme there without running out of gas. However, doing so after acquiring some biologicals is quite another story entirely...

Also, if you get stranded in hyperspace with no fuel, I believe a Melnorme will actually spontaneously appear to rescue you after a little while. Never had to take advantage of this myself, so I might be wrong.

EDIT2: With all those RU's from killing probes, can't you afford the "unaffordable" item that the traders sell?

Except that the Melnorme want that in CREDITS, not RUs. You could find all the rainbow worlds, and scour the galaxy of non-sentient biologicals, and you still wouldn't have enough credits for the price listed in the PC version, never mind the 10-fold increase they changed it to in the 3DO version.
keybounce
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2006, 11:36:35 pm »

Credits, not RU's
Shows you how long it's been since I've played :-).

keybounce
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2006, 04:32:11 am »

Ok, I gave it a try.

Over at Beta Centauri 3 (I believe), there's biologicals with a class 6 tectonics. That means lots of earthquakes. And the moving creatures don't leave a body behind, so you have to get the trees.

I'm spending 10 crew to recover 10 credits.
Not to mention the inevitable drain on crew in combat.

I'm going back to the starbase. Do you really save and restore everywhere?

Mugz the Sane
*Many bubbles*

need coffee...

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2006, 02:12:50 pm »

Yes. You DO save and restore everywhere. In fact, every time you change your underwear you save - in case you encounter a race of alien bulls w/X-ray vision and you happen to have decided to wear red boxers that morning.

Think about it - if you cut yourself off from the starbase, you CANNOT warp out of combat - thus if you end up in a sticky fight with something and only the flagship (virtually defenseless, if you'll recall) remains, you're forked - with pewter silverware.

And if your last savegame is a while back, hier kom groot kak.

You start with one lander. If lander goes byebye, then bios (until the rainbow worlds) go byebye too. So do items like the sun device, utwig bomb, syreen ships en so voorts.

Should you run out of fuel with hyperspace and lack both the umgah caster and burvix caster, a melnorme automatically comes and finds you after a short interval. Never failed on me yet, but there has to be a first time for everything. And if you DO have the caster, you can summon the melnorme. Don't try this in hostile space, unless you are incredibly brave, suicidal, an idiot, two of the above or (my personal favourite) all three.

Me and the other kids back in '92 came up with the 'starbaseless' method of playing in discussion, but as I recall no one actually tried it. I know I only tried recently (aug 06) and DAMN! You guys that managed this are masters of sheer bloody-mindedness! Respect!

My verdict: Not easy, not by a long way, but doable. Fun, too.

I'm seriously considering going to Bali to paint nude women.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length