The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:01:01 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Beating the game differently
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Beating the game differently  (Read 40719 times)
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Beating the game differently
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 01:46:56 am »

Hmmm.....

I like that! I will have to try it after I am done with this attempt.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 03:00:54 pm »

The Umgah caster is not immpossible to get! You just have to know when to go to the spathi homeworld as the starbase can not tell you.
Also the Burvixe caster is not that far away. It is called the portal spawner.
The Burvixese Caster ist NOT[/i][/u] the Portal Spawner! And it never was. The Burvixese Caster is also a HyperWave Caster. You find it on the Moon of the Burvixese Homeworld (the Druuge can tell you how it got there, it was once theirs). Or you can buy the information about the Burvixese sad history from the Melnorme.

Enjoy!
Krulle
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2004, 06:34:01 pm »

<psst>I think he meant that once you get the portal spawner it's really easy to get the burvix caster...</psst>
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2004, 06:37:36 pm »

Thankyou for clearing that up Death_999. I should have explained myself better, my bad Sad . But as Death_999 was saying once you get the Portal Spawner the Burvix Caster much easier to get. It is also sometimes worth it considering the fact that you can trade it in for fuel while getting the Rosy Sphere.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2004, 06:54:41 pm »

To be honestly: i did not get that before Death_999 pointed it out.

Furthermore: I never needed the Spawner to get the B-Caster. The first time i played it (it=SC2) through, it was under DOS. And since I had an american copy before sales in the Netherlands started, i used a TSR-crack (by now i have 3 official SC2-releases, one of them is the SC3-Value-pack). This TSR-program had one fault: i never reached Quasispace, because the natural portal never opened.
Therefor, i always plan my routes not by Quasispacepoints, but by passing the spheres (like: Orz, Yehat, Mycon, Druuge, Burvixese, several rainbow-planets, Utwig, Supox, Beast, Thraddash, Slylandro, Umgah, Z-F-P, Spathi). It involves a lot of dumping unworthy minerals into space, but it made it playable for me.
To see what the fuss about QuasiSpace is, i organized a savegame from someone else and played from the point where he saved. And i must say, that i finished a lot earlier than him, even though he had used Quasispace a lot.

Nontheless, i wanted to clear it up, because i prefer the B-Caster over the U-Caster. And before UQM i never got nor used the U-Caster. (That was the better fault of the TSR-Crack: the Spathi never copied the Slaveshield. Enjoyable!)

Enjoy!
 Krulle

BTW: Have a nice weekend!
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2004, 07:10:04 pm »

Yes, but did you read the challenge? - The challenge was to beat the game without going to the starbase . So not only is your ship slow, it can get caught by every ship in the game. So using Quasi-Space not only saves time (Which you run out of pretty quick if you have only two thrusters.) It also avoids the probes (which pop up every day literally) and it saves fuel.  
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2004, 11:58:58 pm »

Fuel isn't a problem. The probes too. I can kill 10000 of them without getting hit.

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2004, 12:57:04 am »

I personally have some troubles with fuel.

Anyway - A update: I have finally got the sun device and the utwig bomb and the Taalo shield. Now I am just trying to get talking pet. The darn Umagh ships are such a pain!

How far are you DJ?

(IOK - I admit it, I manage to "find time" to play more this past few days Wink  )
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2004, 01:31:38 am »

I leave sol today... hehe. But you use game editor. Not fair Sad

Edit: sry, I am busy. I have life Smiley
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 01:32:01 am by Deep_Jiffa » Logged

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2004, 01:37:35 am »

I only ran a dry run with the save game editor! - This one is without any help from it - if you want to then you can do a test run with it as well - Just don't turn it in as proof.

Regarding the fact that you have a life - you have to be careful with that. That also means that I DON'T have one. Just for future reference I would be careful who you say that to. It was you who said that you could do it in three days. It took me about 2-3 months (Dry run included) to get his far.
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2004, 02:33:37 am »

I can in 1 day. Tommorow at the same time you will see me with the pictures.

Edit: Just left Sol
I didn't mean you don't have life.
And I can beat in a day because it is saturday Smiley free time for me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 02:34:25 am by Deep_Jiffa » Logged

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2004, 02:56:34 am »

FFS it will be harder! The probes keep coming after I talked with the Slylandro! I can leave the computer for 1 sec!!! (I assumed I called check in every 10 minutes or so...) Sad

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2004, 05:45:06 pm »

If I am resurecting this threat I am sorry, but It seemed like a shame to start a whole new one just about a update on the situation. OK - I have the utwig bomb and the talking pet, as well as the sun device. However, just for the brownie points I am trying to get the shofixti females. (No not to trade with the Druuge!!!) As well as the destruction code for the Slyrandro. Alas - I am trying to go all the way - though I am running out of time. The year is 2158. So I caculated the time (in the game) it takes to get across from the map to Proycon. Which is about a month Quasi-Portal included. OK - So how far have all you have gotten in the extremly short time since this challenge began. (It has taken me about 6 months) Probaly about 35 hours of constant game play.
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2004, 04:41:58 am »

Hell, I need the bomb and the caster to finish the game.... Damn Probes... they pop-up every single day. Time won't be a problem for me as I see it Smiley I have until 61(or 60.5)

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2004, 05:25:31 am »

Aahhhhhh - That darn beast I need to get for the shofixti maidens requires me to upgrade my lander! - I don't have the credits for it!!!!!  - AHHHHHHH

*Turns Panic switch to offf

Have you gotten the sun device DJ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length