The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:14:36 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Thraddash vs. Ilwrath
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Thraddash vs. Ilwrath  (Read 10694 times)
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
Pkunk
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 03:36:13 am »

If the Pkunk are so spiritual and so friendly and would never, ever commit genocide, then why do they have war ships? Their little guns probably wouldn't do much against big, planet killing asteroids and they don't carry many "people", so they're not colonizing ships. I think that it is possible that a few Pkunk decided to stay behind to give the Illwrath a fresh taste of "birth".

What sound does a penguin make?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Thraddash vs. Ilwrath
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2004, 04:02:31 am »

They would porbaly do a hit-and-run mission - not enough to kill ALL the spidery creatures on the surface.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2004, 05:08:10 am »

Remember, they don't want to become too good and wrap all the way around.

Wow! Who would have guessed Spiritualness is a signed Int! Maybe the Precursors left this universe for a 64-bit one. Smiley Upgrade today!

Shiver

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2004, 05:32:07 am »

The ships are for their own protection. They thought that sort of thing up in the first place because they were originally blood-thirsty Yehat. Their temperment has changed drastically, however. I think if the Pkunk actually did do something as far-fetched as that, the game would have to mention it because it's not what one would expect at all.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2004, 10:42:53 am »

Actually, I'm not trying to piss you off. But if you give me no better reason than "No", then I don't see why I should have to elaborate any further than "Yes".

As for the fabled Pkunk spirituality... Rememebr, it is even questionable in itself. A lot of what the pkunk tell you seems to be pure sillyness, and the few hints they manage to give you are clouded with their mumbo-jumbo. They might actually not be that spiritual, but rather New Ageish in their belief that they are spiritual as hell.

For vengefullness, I submit:

Is there any way to stop the Ilwrath?

Hmmm. An interesting question. The answer would be..YES!
If some benign and loving, yet incredibly destructive and powerful force
were to simultaneously rip off all of their legs and drop their putrid egg sacs into steaming pools of molten metal
that would have the desired result of ending the conflict.
Ah...but I jest. Of course I bear the Ilwrath no ill will
how could I, when I am filled only with love.

They say they are joking. But are they? I doubt it. Also their spiritual bonds might not be tight enough to shed light on every deception. Who knows what hides in the heart of Pkunk?

Oh, and for christinaity and the such. Regarding the Moslem countries, you are correct in a way, because you're saying what I was trying to say, even though I obviously wasn't clear enough. Yes, islamic scholars came up with a lot of things about a thosnad years ago, but after that their religion has been growing increasingly stricter. And liek it or not, the same goes for christianity. They did unite europe during the middle ages, but only to go to war against... well everyone. I think I read a quote somewhere that stated that the only technological advance to come out of the middle ages was an improved plow. I think it kind of was that whole "burning anything even vaguely heretic to our geocentric view of the world on the stake" thing that discouraged progress.

As always, if I have my facts wrong then feel free to correct me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 11:34:26 am by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
Ivan Ivanov
*Smell* controller

Internet Piracy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2004, 11:13:48 am »

As always, if I have my facts wrong then feel free to correct me.

"burning anything even vaguely heretic to our heliocentric view of the world on the stake"

Wasn't it the geocentric view of the world?

Your bruises are reminders of naivete and trust
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2004, 11:34:53 am »

You are of course correct. Post edited to bring out message. Cheers!

What's up doc?
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2004, 03:30:22 pm »

.... Cheers!

"Where everybody knows your name...." ahem, off topic Grin

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2004, 08:43:20 pm »

What if the illwrath had a uprising! - Like what happened to the priests when they started listening to channel 44. You see if the revolted while the battle fleet was gone. There would be avery little of them left alive. Then the pkunk could come by and think that they were "just doing a hit a run - nothing major". When they really are taking out the rest of the spiders.  
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2004, 01:54:16 am »

The Ilwrath might have learned a thing or two from Thraddash Culture 3:  They might have learned that the Captain deceived them into attacking the Thraddash, so they might believe that they had lost the favor of Kazon the Deceiver.  So, in order not to anger Dogar the Destroyer, they decided to maim, torture, enslave, and in general brutalize
THEMSELVES!
Shiver

Email
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2004, 02:04:28 am »

So none of you agree with me that it's a bug in the game?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2004, 05:19:02 am »

Well it defenatly is a bug when you can still caster them, but it says that it is not their homeworld any more. So yes, I agree with you that it is a bug. Now if they allowed you to caster only while the illwrath were there than I would say it is not a bug.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2004, 04:10:40 pm »

So none of you agree with me that it's a bug in the game?

That's not the point. The idea is to find a suitable explanation as to what happens. Otherwise you can just start posting topics such as "Why is the Earthling cruiser close to a planet in size even though it only has 18 crew?" Bugs are bugs, but it's fun to corretc them through reasoning.

What's up doc?
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2004, 05:03:17 pm »

So, the Ilwrath and the Thraddash did not completely annihilate each other. That's not really possible. Besides, you must remember that people move under a leader, and if you kill all the leaders then a person must result to think for himself.
There are a few Ilwrath and Thraddash left, scattered around the place.
the Ilwrath departed from their homeworld, and so there's no one there to answer you; the Thraddash fleed from their homeworld or were 'removed' by the Ilwrath.

To summarize, what happend was statistics -
Statistically speaking (and the star map control-zones are, in fact, only statistics) the Thraddash *and* the Ilwrath, are so few in number that they can be said to be extinct.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 05:04:03 pm by Censored » Logged

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2004, 05:26:49 pm »

Remind you of the shofixti? Hmmm .... wonder.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length