The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:47:47 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Sound
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sound  (Read 1712 times)
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
Sound
« on: February 19, 2004, 03:33:19 am »

Currently when I run uqm and I'm already using the sound card (for music, other games, etc) I have to pass "--sound=none" on the command line.
If I don't and the sound card is in use, the program crashes.

I am wondering if anyone else has this problem? Also is there a planned
work around for this in the code?

What sound does a penguin make?
Michael Martin
Core Team
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: Sound
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 04:20:02 am »

This is in part an SDL issue and in part a function of how your system is set up.  UQM asks for access to the sound card; if it can't get it, it dies (and says that if you want to not have sound, to say so explicitly).  Depending on your OS and the options you compiled SDL with, you may be effectively guaranteed access.  I know that it will use esd if it can't get direct access to /dev/dsp on my system, but that's not because of anything UQM does, it is (again) SDL doing its job.

Printing a "couldn't open sound, playing silently" message would net us a trillion spurious "I can't make sound work on UQM" reports; automatically mixing with the OS's sound output is the kind of feature request you direct to the SDL developers, not us.

Questions about when to abort vs. when to play at reduced capabilities haven't really been seriously debated yet -- that's been shelved for a later date.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length