The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:33:09 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Star Con
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Star Con  (Read 1939 times)
tjomara37
Zebranky food

View Profile
Star Con
« on: February 26, 2004, 09:37:23 am »

Greetings everyone.

Got a quick question for those who may know

I played the game Star Con (I think this is what the name was) a long time ago, years in fact.  At the time it was an awesome game, and i liked it very much.  It took me many hours to beat it but it was worth it.....

Ok here is the questions:

Who made this game?
Is there any game like it out there now with the new technology and gfx of today?
Why is it so difficult to find information about it or the company that made it?

Grateful for your comments and reply in advance.

Thx again
tjomara37@comcast.net
Gill_Bates
Frungy champion

Dyslectic Devil

View Profile
Re: Star Con
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 12:45:05 pm »

The game is also known as Star-Control I.
It was made by TFB for accolade and is available for purchase on ebay.
This project (UQM) is a remake of the sequel (Star Control 2) which was even a greater success.
There are no known plans to remake Star Control I.

TFB= Toys For Bob, look them up on this forum and on the
Pages of Now and Forever:
http://www.star-control.com

GOD: "Look mommy, I made light!"
Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 01:05:59 pm »

For those of u into Emulation:
In case u wanted to know before I came across UQM I found another site this was maybe a year not much more which had a Star Control rom for the Sega Mega Drive System (aka. GENESIS) If u own the original PC version maybe u can legally download it for more than 24 hours(the amount of time u must scratch it if u don't legally own the game/mp3) .

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
tjomara37
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 01:34:41 pm »

Gill Bates,
I appreciate your response and I may know you lol
I was playing Ac2 for a while under the characters Briee, Oscareth, and Big Bad John.  There happens to be a Gill Bates character in that game that I interacted with a bit.  Forgive me if I have you confused with someone else

As for the reply you game me about Star Control 1, thx for the information, But i was not looking to play that game again, i was just interested in who made it, if there is any thing like a sequal to it out now with the new gfx technology we have etc.  It was a great Role-playing game and I love those kinds of games.  I get quite immersed into the story, mystery, intrigue, adventure, puzzles to figure out etc.

So if there is not a sequal to that game that is new I wonder if that company does any other games or if you or anyone else knows of any Good Role-Playing games I can get immersed into that would be awesome.

Thx everyone for your imput

Regards, Jerry
tjomara37@comcast.net
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 07:23:32 pm »

Well, you could download The Ur-Quan Masters and play it -- it is the sequel, and it runs on modern platforms, and our presence here vouches implicitly for its quality.

Just go to sc2.sourceforge.net to download a free legal copy of the game.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 08:21:28 pm »

As for the reply you game me about Star Control 1 ... It was a great Role-playing game and I love those kinds of games.  I get quite immersed into the story, mystery, intrigue, adventure, puzzles to figure out etc.

So if there is not a sequal to that game that is new I wonder if that company does any other games or if you or anyone else knows of any Good Role-Playing games I can get immersed into that would be awesome.

I think you actually played Star Control 2 (Star Control 1 didn't have any role-playing).  UQM is a port of SC2 code to modern platforms.  There is an attempt going on to create a sequal to Star Control 2; it's called Timewarp:
http://www.star-control.com/timewarp Click on Channel44 to get to the TW forums.

The reason the opensource sequal is called timewarp?  Well, there really _was_ a sequal to Star Control 2, but it wasn't written by the people who wrote SC1 & SC2, and even when considered by itself, Star Control 3 is an abyssmal game (explore everything, then wait 3 hours Real-time for a time-triggered event; hit f8(?) to force the AI to stop running away).  TW's a way to warp back in time before SC3 and do it right.

Oh one last thing:  There was going to be a 3D version called Star Con, but it never hit the shelves: http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/starcon/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 08:25:24 pm by Culture20 » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length