The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:56:17 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Mark II
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mark II  (Read 3137 times)
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
Mark II
« on: March 26, 2004, 04:01:35 am »

The slylandro say that the 'shaggy ones' came in a large circular space ship. Could this be, the mark II showed at the end of the game.

meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Mark II
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 04:38:47 am »

I expect that the precursors had a whole fleet of ships. Under that assumption it's not very likely that the one that visited the Slylandro is the one that the Captain found. It could be the same class of ships though.
But remember what TFB said:
The Mark II was a precursor cruiser as opposed to a precursor tug which is what you guys flew.

But would the Precursors use a cruiser to visit the Slylandro? Why not an unarmed vessel? Was the universe such a threatening place for the precursors in their days? There's no evidence of another race from that era. Maybe there weren't any others, in which case the precursors might have been involved in an internal conflict..
But maybe the Precursors just visited the Slylandro on their way to something else. The Slylandro did say the Precursors always appeared to be in a hurry, on a desperate search.
What they were searching for could have required a cruiser, but perhaps they were just dedicating every ship that they had to the search.

So in short, we don't know.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 04:43:36 am »

Maybe arms are a precaution when making first contact.

Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 04:45:00 am »

yes, it is the very same. i believe i heard it called a "precursor cruiser". i would of loved to see this puppy in action Grin, but alas, it may never be. everytime i think about a sequel, i get goosebumps. damn, i wish i had the money to give to "toys for bob", to have them work on some kind of sequel project. i wouldn't care the cost, whatever it would take.
=points to himself= ...dedacated fan!

~DEFIANT

ps: meep-eep got to it before me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 04:47:20 am by DEFIANT » Logged
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 02:48:30 pm »

Who said that there was only one race of precursors across the galaxy?
We named them precursors, because we do not know their real races name.
But outside of our part of the galaxy, just "above" the Slylandro Source, could have been another race at that time, and maybe they were hostile towards "our" precursors.
That there was only one precursor race across the galaxy is just an assumption from SC3, where the humans find Ortogs everywhere, indicating that the Precursors lived there as well.

In SC2 there is nothing pointing towards one precursor race.

Enjoy!
Krulle
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 05:03:37 pm »

Krulle, so what your saying is that the Precursors have, errr, countries so to speak?

But would that not mean that they have disagreements?

And have battles because of that?

May that is why the ship is armed?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 07:37:34 pm »

Who said that there was only one race of precursors across the galaxy?

You mean to say that "Precursors" is a collective name for various races?
That seems unlikely as we do have descriptions of what they must have looked like.
Though it's not 100% sure that the Slylandro are talking about the Precursors. They call their visitors the "Shaggy Ones", as they don't remember the real name, and it's the captain that concludes they are the Precursors. But they do tell us it's the "Shaggy Ones" that "arranged" the rainbow worlds.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 08:27:34 pm »

I think what he is saying is the the precursors are like us in a way.

For example....

We have different nations correct? And if those nations disagree that can lead to fighting, well maybe the precursors had their own countries that warred against each other.
Slylendro
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 01:35:02 am »

But they do tell us it's the "Shaggy Ones" that "arranged" the rainbow worlds.

Spoilers for sc3-

So here's another paradox between sc2 and sc3, the Slylandro say the rainbow worlds have something to do with the Precursor's ultimate fate, while in sc3 iirc it's only meant to hold the fabric of space and has nothing to do with devolving the Precursors, so it's not much of "Ultimate precursor fate" really... (it's been a few months I may be wrong), and also the Slylandro say there are 10 rainbow worlds while in the kessari quadrent there are about 10 others.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 01:35:30 am by Slylendro » Logged

It is as though your species' brain is too small to hold a simple thought
such as, WE WILL KILL YOU FOR DISOBEYING!
This is not a complex idea.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 03:07:45 am »

I would say that the shaggy ones are what we think of as precursers, but there were other races back then. There relics are just called precurser relics, but they are from a different race. This different race was fighting the shaggy ones, forcing them to traval in armed vehicles.

Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 04:25:20 am »

Spoilers for sc3-

So here's another paradox between sc2 and sc3, the Slylandro say the rainbow worlds have something to do with the Precursor's ultimate fate, while in sc3 iirc it's only meant to hold the fabric of space and has nothing to do with devolving the Precursors, so it's not much of "Ultimate precursor fate" really... (it's been a few months I may be wrong), and also the Slylandro say there are 10 rainbow worlds while in the kessari quadrent there are about 10 others.

I'm sorry but there are two flaws to this First in all places in SC2 you are told by all that meantion the rainbow Worlds that ther are 10 of them in this regoin of space. and Secondly not all the rainbow worlds are in SC3 are other rainbow worlds there are a few Star Systems common to both SC2 & SC3 namely Groombridge(home to a rainbow world) and Formahault these are only the ones that come to mind though.

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 04:13:00 am »

I personally imagine that SC2's sequel would start you off in a modified cruiser for your lead ship for the first quarter of the game, then you find the Big And Round Ship Of Doom just when it seems like the Alliance is screwed.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 06:25:18 am »

Just for fun, Monitor (from the TW forums) once made an image of what he thought the MarkII would look like if it wasn't round:

Big Version
And I made a similar round-version image:

Big Version
Shiver

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 10:19:39 am »

Both would look great in a game.

[size=0]...damn typos.[/size]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 10:22:54 am by Shiver » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »