The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:19:01 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Subtitle bugs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Subtitle bugs?  (Read 3034 times)
Juhaz

Email
Subtitle bugs?
« on: December 05, 2002, 10:41:54 am »

Which is more appropriate place for bug reports, this forum or the real sourceforge bug tracker?

Anyway, some small things I've encountered with subtitles, that don't seem to be on the lists:

Some races have several subtitles (especially utwig and druuge) that have three lines of text instead of two, and end up being to "tall" so that the bottom half of the text does not fit into the alien frame... easy to tweak by splitting those long ones to multiple lines, or by changing the AlienTextTemplate.baseline.y value on source for that races comm code.

Also, Utwig seem to miss both voice and subtitles for telling player that Supox have the broken ultron. So no way for newbies of knowing about it without walktroughs or exploring whole damn galaxy..., no one else even mentions about the Supox.

Got a segfault too, on cvs version compiled today, when activating Sun Device over the Chmmr homeworld. Worked fine on 0.1 alpha.

Kermi

Email
Re: Subtitle bugs?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 03:37:49 am »

There's some serious issues with Syreen subtitles too. Some where missing, and on few cases, text and speech came in opposite order.

Also, funny little thing:
when i select the directory and click properties, it says:

Size:             143 MB (150 965 494 bytes)
Size on Disk: 231 MB (243 138 560 bytes)

Is this just some XP bug?

-Kermi, i'll register very very soon Smiley
Kale

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 08:21:19 am »

The reason the size and size-on-disk don't agree is due to the large number of files in the game.  A file takes up a minimum size of disk space due to minimum block size issues.  The game actually only takes up 143M of space, but it's all in a whole whack of little tiny files.  :-/ Now throw the minimum data block limitation into the mix and the files take up more room then they actually need so you get 231M of disk usage.  Your minimum block size is controlled by your disk format.  Fat32 is better than Fat16, and NTFS (XP's system) is suppose to be even better.  Tongue Still, the extremely large number of files in the game causes a lot of disk space wasteage.  This is one reason a lot of games have all their data packed into one whopping huge wad file or something.   Kiss
Dash-o-Salt
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 08:39:07 am »

You probably need to do some defragmenting or something.  This whopping 143 MB game takes up 183 MB on my disk.  I AM running NTFS formatting, but then, all windows XP machines should be.
Mage

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2002, 09:15:46 am »

By the way, I wasn't getting -any- subtitles for the Yehat at all... it really disappointed me because as soon as I heard that totally uncharacteristic Beetles voice, I thought "Man, glad there are subtitles so I don't have to listen to this guy".. couldn't even understand half the words they'd say..

win32  (on win2k) fullscreen, 1600x1200, bilinear opengl filtering...

(i was also getting the utwig/druuge problem where the bottom line of text was nearly hidden by the menu border)
Shivam
Zebranky food

Pkunk-ra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2002, 09:21:18 am »

if you guys bothered to read the manual.txt, you'd notice that yehat subtitles dont work yet.   Roll Eyes
nweaver
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2002, 08:22:44 pm »

You probably need to do some defragmenting or something.  This whopping 143 MB game takes up 183 MB on my disk.  I AM running NTFS formatting, but then, all windows XP machines should be.

don't count on it.  I bought a notebook (which I ended up returning in disgust), sony brand.  The setup was XP home, the disk partitioned 60/40 FAT32/NTFS, with the boot and everything on the FAT32 partition.

Worse, since it is bloody "recovery" disks, not install media, there is no real way to change the formatting.
The Relentless
Zebranky food

Enjoy the Sauce.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2002, 10:20:57 pm »

The reason the size and size-on-disk don't agree is due to the large number of files in the game.  A file takes up a minimum size of disk space due to minimum block size issues.  The game actually only takes up 143M of space, but it's all in a whole whack of little tiny files.  :-/ Now throw the minimum data block limitation into the mix and the files take up more room then they actually need so you get 231M of disk usage.  Your minimum block size is controlled by your disk format.  Fat32 is better than Fat16, and NTFS (XP's system) is suppose to be even better.  Tongue Still, the extremely large number of files in the game causes a lot of disk space wasteage.  This is one reason a lot of games have all their data packed into one whopping huge wad file or something.   Kiss

This may have been suggested alrteady, or may already be planned, but possibly combining most or all of the small files into zipfiles might be a good idea.  You could have the artwork.sc2, sound.sc2, music.sc2 etc.  I am not much of a programmer, but I know a little about zlib.  I have NO IDEA if you could add it into this project.  Just a thought.  For all I know this is planned once the code is more stable and updates less frequent.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length