The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:05:36 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  I Love Star Control 3!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: I Love Star Control 3!  (Read 20318 times)
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
I Love Star Control 3!
« on: April 02, 2004, 01:07:15 am »

Hey guys, I know you're all looking at this post and thinking: "has Culture20 gone off his rocker?"
I'm happy to say I haven't (although if I had, I'd be happy to say that too).  
I inserted my SC3 CD last night, just for a laugh.  I'd forgotten all of the great things found in SC3 (and only SC3):  The vivid colors, original dialouges, advanced AI (pacifism enhanced with lee-kwon-choo expert mentality), and the plot!  I can't say enough good things about the plot.  The Mycon Deep Child was the best idea, much better than TFB's idea of what the Deep Children were.  The Music was impressive too; not any of that techno-mod stuff with alien sounding instruments.  Nope, most alien ditties were good ol' rock & roll!

A brilliant classic.  Anyway, this got me thinking:  Maybe the UQM team could approach atari about making SC3 open source?  That's be awesome!   Cool

Obviously, since I've fallen in love with SC3, I don't see a need for Timewarp anymore.  In fact, I'm going to become openly hostile towards the game since it's trying to rewrite Canon Star Control history.   You probably won't see me much on these boards either; I'm going to make my own SC3 forum somewhere.  I'll come back here and post a link when the forum's set up.   Smiley

APRIL FOOLS
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 01:07:36 am by Culture20 » Logged
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: I Love Star Control 3!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 02:46:31 am »

Good one - For a sec I thought the makers of SC3 were holding a gun to your head.  Wink

One problem - according to the time on the forum it is april 2.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 02:46:59 am by FalconMWC » Logged
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 03:01:54 am »

That depends on where you are. Forum local time is CET (where it is still April 1 as I'm writing this). You can change your local time in the 'Profile' menu.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Kaiser
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 06:14:14 am »

...fortunately he put that text on the bottom...

Otherwise he'd deserved to be dragged out and shot...
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 08:17:40 am »

ok ok ill tell them...

not so loud they might hear you...

shhh! ill do it...just give me a minute...

i love star control 3 too.

there are you satisfied...

this message broght to you by the voices in my head.

~DEFIANT
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 08:18:25 am by DEFIANT » Logged
Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 09:14:09 am »

What's so bad about SC3 anyway short of the fact that it pissed off most fans. OK I'm messing with you I mean the only positive thing in it and I'm going out on a limb here was the hyper-melee(and the lack of cameos NOT!)

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
bigfoot256
Frungy champion

So, which one of you is the Fot?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 10:11:36 am »

Hyper Melee was lousy, as well. You ever tried going near the planet in a slow ship?

So, Hunam, how would you like to threaten me today?
Cronos
*Many bubbles*

Shofixti Scoutmaster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 06:16:32 pm »

Why was SC3 crap ask people?

Simple.

No Fred Ford.

No Paul Reiche.

No blessing by either (to my knowledge).

Result? SC3 was cursed from the beggining and remains cursed to this day.

Sorry, had the need to rant, venting mode off now.
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 07:47:43 pm »

hahaa, I also like SC3!

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 01:58:52 am »

Why was SC3 crap ask people?

Simple.

No Fred Ford.

No Paul Reiche.

No blessing by either (to my knowledge).

Result? SC3 was cursed from the beggining and remains cursed to this day.

Sorry, had the need to rant, venting mode off now.

While I admit the Creators did a mighty fine job, I find this idolisation of them a tad spooky. Their still just people. Mighty fine people, but still.

What's up doc?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 08:39:15 pm »

Very true luki, I think that many people go a tad overboard....

Anyway though, it certainly would not have hurt to get permission from them or ideas - even if they did not use them.....
StealthDonut

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 05:44:29 am »

Imagine if Stephen King didn't write all the "Dark Tower" books to thier conclusion? Who could possibly imagine someone else finishing off a series like that? Same deal with Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings". It really wouldn't be the same because like the 2 listed above their respective visions of plot, characters, all that stuff was essentially thier own. It's unfair to believe that anyone could really pick up the reigns where a masterpiece-in-progress brought to a sudden halt had left off.

I feel pretty much the same way with SC. I would never begin making a follow-up game without heavily consulting with Fred Ford and Paul Reiche first. They may yet have some hidden secrets regarding the continuing plot from SC2 that they've never shared with anyone, maybe including each other. However if collaboration cannot be gotten or is only minimal at best there have been instances where other notable folks have taken up the reigns and carried on.

Off the top of my head the movie Alien is outstanding in it's own right, but the plot would have stayed forever there if not for James Cameron picking up where that left off and forging ahead with Aliens, in almost every way a better movie, at the point where Ridley Scott left off.

Now I'm not saying "Hey, grab Sid Meier or Brian Reynolds to finish the job", I'm just saying you're gonna need someone with some serious drive and a really definitive vision of what the game will be. Wonder if James Cameron would be willing to do an SC3 game  Grin
Cronos
*Many bubbles*

Shofixti Scoutmaster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 11:01:01 am »

I agree with you Stealth, a similar situation arose when Issac Asimov died (may he rest in peace). His legendary Foundation series looked to be an unfinished masterpiece, and the links with his robot series were tantalising and yet also unrealised because of his death.

Eventually a few fans picked up from where he left off, and crafted as faithfully as they could sequels. Though still unfinished, I could barely distinguish a Foundation book written by Assimov when compared to one of the more modern sequels written by fans.

Star Control 3 was bad because the original concept had been raped in a way that made me want to scratch my eyes out. I've read the Warlok files and found that the entire storyline for SC3 had been ripped from the creative consultant (whom was only ever consulted once, ever, in the entire project) and twisted into the junk it became.

There were some damn good ideas in SC3, but their implementation could have been handled far far better. When I play the game it's like the producers were saying "Sucked your money in! HAHA!" rather then "See how great this is? Want a sequel? Sure you do!".

The inherent flaws in SC3 could have been solved by further development and polishing, a year at least would have been required to get it up to scratch and I'm definitely sure any SC fan would have waited for a long time a long as they were getting a decent sequel. As it is, SC3 was "Stillborn" as far as games go. It could have been soooo much better if it had been kept in the womb of development until proper maturation.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 09:48:40 pm »

SILENCE!

Star Control 3 is a rip-roarin' good game of epic proportions. Since I'm a superior programmer to the rest of you put together, I'll remake SC3 myself. See you all in two months.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 11:06:59 pm »

Bye bye, have fun!

And some people seem to have misunderstood what I was saying. No, I wouldn't want to see any other person finish "The Dark Tower", and I'd prefer if FF and PRIII were involved in the making of a real SC3. I believe that other people could (maybe) do it almost as well, bt they'd be the safe cards. Thsi doesn't mean it cannot be made without them though. And to imply that it cannot be good without their "blessing", is to imply that anyone trying to make any sort of spinoff/sequel is at fault. In my mind, it'd just be easier to let people mae their sequels, and then criticeise them if/because they are BAD (as SC3 was) rather than because of anything else. The Asimov series is a very good example of this, thanks for the comparison Cronos.

What's up doc?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length