The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:53 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Unsolved Mysteries
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries  (Read 22235 times)
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2004, 08:36:57 pm »

Just think about it....

Has there ever been a explanation on how the melnorme found the Slyrandro? Obviously the tranmitters the precursors set up are not there any more.
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2004, 04:06:43 am »

How is that obvious?  As it isn't mentioned, the Precursor communications satellite may be how you're able to talk with them at all.

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2004, 05:02:06 am »

Well, look at the broadcasting statment made by the Slyrandro. First, I doubt the precursors used the tech we did and second. It says that it was for Slyrando to Precursor, not Slyrandro to anybody. It says that quite specific.
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2004, 09:45:49 pm »

I don't think your doubts are well-founded; in the Star Control universe, hyperwave is a ubiquitous technology -- the Chenjesu are able to speak it naturally for goodness sake -- so it stands to reason that if the Precursors built a hyperwave broadcasting satellite, anyone who came along would be able to use it (e.g., the Ur-Quan).  And we know that the Precursors built to last (starship factories, battlecruisers, Ultrons, etc.) so it's not unreasonable to expect one of their broadcasting satellites to remain in service for 40 drahn or so.

Also, without the Precursor satellite as an explanation, you're left with a minor plot hole:  how else are you able to talk with a bunch of gas bags who have no physical technology?

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2004, 11:10:04 pm »

Also, the Slylandro obviously talked to the melnorme somehow, lending further credibility to the idea that the Precursor satellite allows them to talk to pretty much anyone. They talked to the Quans and the Milieu as well as I recall,  which could be construed as even more proof, unless the Milieu built their own satellites.

What's up doc?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2004, 06:15:03 am »

I don't know...

See the statement from the Slyrandro imply that they could only talk with the Precursors.

On the otherhand, you two bring up valid points.

So my thoughts are now that the comm device is not working/not compatible and that the desighners of the game simply overlooked that particular fact.  
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2004, 07:24:05 pm »

Well,

The Ur-Quan?! The long brownish guys from the Milieu with all the eyes and arms?
They used to come visit us regularly about three Drahns ago.
They told us about all the interesting things they found from their scouting missions.
They were really nice! Why do you fight with them?

But the Ur-Quan were such good guys!
They had lots of interesting things to tell us about
and they never got impatient with our questions.
Hmmm. Well, I guess a lot can happen to a species in three Drahn like turning green and evil.

implies that they talked to the Quan as well. Furthermore,

Well, let's see... there was the Melnorme just a few rotations back then we go all the way back over three Drahn ago to the Ur-Quan and the other Milieu guys... the Yuli and the Drahn, I think.

Implies that they've talked to several Milieu members, and the Melnorme. Now unless all of these people set up different satellites outside of the planet, and independetly happened to be looking close enough at a nondescript gas giant to notice there was intelligent life down there, it'd stand to reason that whoever comes close to the planet gets hailed by they Slylandro. as the slylandro cannot construct technology on their own this means that they can talk to people either because.

a) The precursors did find them and put some sort of satellite in orbit, and some sort of contraption in the band where the Slylandro dwell, thus allowing them to talk to others.

b) They can use hyperwaves naturally, just like the Chenjesu

My money is on a), as they aren't chrystalline lifeforms and I have the distinct impression that this has something to do with the Chenjesus inborn ability.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 07:25:54 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2004, 02:44:16 am »

Well, you have convinced me, except for the fact that woukld not the game show the comm device in orbit? And that the Vindicator would have to "drive" up to it - instead of the planet?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2004, 10:39:37 am »

Well, you don't actually fly up to a Comm device when communicating with any planet do you? Signals sent between your ship and the surface (or their own satellites) take care of that.

As for why you can't see the device.. Well, you can't see any satellites orbiting any home planet can you? Alternatively, Prec. technology might be small enough to pass unnoticed, or it might be cloaked to ensure that the Slylandro would always have mean of communicating, without another Reliccollecting race making off with their artifact. It might even look like somethign completely different, like a moon.

What's up doc?
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2004, 07:17:23 pm »

Hey, guys. You know, I think this is a really great example of brain-storming, problem solving and logic application. However, I feel the need to point out that this debate/brain-storm is about the contents of a 10+ year old computer game featuring a simplified universe with talking blobs of light.

That being said, the little blobbies did say that they "Set" dials and varibles on their probes. I assume that means that they can interact with objects. So, perhaps they have their own, very light weight, transmitter?
Either built from gasses or given to them by another race.

What sound does a penguin make?
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2004, 07:37:52 pm »

Or maybe they had a modified probe that they used....
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2004, 08:42:59 pm »

Hey, guys. You know, I think this is a really great example of brain-storming, problem solving and logic application. However, I feel the need to point out that this debate/brain-storm is about the contents of a 10+ year old computer game featuring a simplified universe with talking blobs of light.

Indulge us, at lerast we're having fun Wink

That being said, the little blobbies did say that they "Set" dials and varibles on their probes. I assume that means that they can interact with objects. So, perhaps they have their own, very light weight, transmitter?

a) The precursors did find them and put some sort of satellite in orbit, and some sort of contraption in the band where the Slylandro dwell, thus allowing them to talk to others.

Some sort of contraption they can either only talk through, or manipulate. DFoesn't matter really, the result is the same.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 08:43:17 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
Crowley
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2004, 10:58:58 pm »

I'd say there are two possibilities here:
1) They didn't physically touch the probe, but they set a few variables by sending commands via the satellite. Saying that they "set dials" was just a figure of speech.
2) The probe was in the Source, using a thruster or something to keep it from falling while the Slylandro could examine the thing all they wanted.

One thing I remembered: the Slylandro mention afterwards that they managed to recall one probe and reprogram it to seek others and transmit the self-destruct sequence. How did they do that (particularily the recall bit)?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 10:59:37 pm by Crowley » Logged
FalconMWC
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2004, 11:50:14 pm »

That is a VERY good probe to work all that time....
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2004, 12:27:48 am »

I doubt the precursors used the tech we did...

Funny, the Vindicator is a precursor ship. Seems quite likely to me that it would use the same basic tech.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length