The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:47 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help  (Read 3637 times)
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
Help
« on: May 14, 2004, 07:28:46 am »

Well here is the problem...

When I delete files from e:\ ( meaning, not windows/system drive) it doesn't count. For example, if I had 100 mb free and I delete a 200 mb file, it doesn't count and I still have 100 mb free(just with the file deleted).

Things that should be pointed:
- recycle bin is empty, not the problem.
- Formating will be the last option, I don't have space to move all data on e:\.
- I have up-to-date norton antivirus 2003 pro, and no viruses was found.
- The drive is almost 6 years old. Might be the problem?
- Scandisk didn't find / fix any problems.
- I correctly have 86 mb but I should have 1 gb of free space. I tried to copy a 100 mb sized file and there "wasn't" enough avaliable space, so it isn't a simple case of just "lying" about the free space.

Thanx to the helpers,

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 12:29:55 am »

Have you tried defragging your hard drive?
I've heard that Windows systems still get dragmented sometimes.
This would mean that while you're deleting files, you still just have one 100mb block of free space. The rest may be scattered across the disk.
So, my suggestion is to either defrag the disk, or move everything to your system drive, then move it back. Which will, after a fashion, do the same thing.

Or buy a new drive.

What sound does a penguin make?
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 04:50:19 am »

Heh. Sometimes?  All of the windows 2000/XP boxes that I admin are usually 25% fragmented after a year of use.  The worst part is that the _manual_ defrag (still no auto-defrag unless you script it) built into the OS is dirt-slow and does the job only halfway (needs to run 2-3 times).

There is such a thing as free-space fragmentation according to MS's defragger, but I couldn't guess what that is.  Maybe that's what you're facing.  Just for kicks:  what's the filesystem type (FAT, FAT32, NTFS[NT4 | 2000/XP])?
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 10:16:34 am »

FAT32. Forgot to mention it.

What should I do?

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Slylendro_not-at-home

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 06:38:27 pm »

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago.
I deleted shitloads of data and movies about 5 gb, and it just didn't clear the memory up while it had deleted the files. I dont remember what I did to fix it but you should get a close look at My computer, e:\, and recycle bin directory's properties.

[not at home and can't rememebr the password]
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 08:36:25 pm »

Found new thing:
If I send the files to the recycle bin and then delete, it is just fine.
If I delete them without sending to recycle bin, it happens.

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 10:13:28 pm »

Wipe your temporary internet files as they are a big problem for windows users, though your browser, not just disk cleanup. Last way I can think of is delete files from C:\recent but keep the folder I only have one drive I am uncertain if windows creates one in each drive. You could always delete uqm-0.3-voice.zip.

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 11:31:54 pm »

Wipe your temporary internet files as they are a big problem for windows users, though your browser, not just disk cleanup. Last way I can think of is delete files from C:\recent but keep the folder I only have one drive I am uncertain if windows creates one in each drive. You could always delete uqm-0.3-voice.zip.

10x but I don't have any problems in c:\

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 01:48:22 am »

Found new thing:
If I send the files to the recycle bin and then delete, it is just fine.
If I delete them without sending to recycle bin, it happens.

Meaning that you're using the Dos prompt command "erase?"
In FAT, it doesn't really remove things from your drive; it just renames them and makes them writable filespace (so that the Dos command undelete can restore them).  Undelete doesn't work anymore though since the data would get written over more often than not.  Maybe this is what "free space fragmentation" is; filespace that is being reserved until no other space can be found, then is purged and used.  Since you know a way to remove files sucessfully, I'd suggest trying to write a simple program to fill up the rest of your filespace (writes 1 byte into a text-file every loop-iteration), then remove the file (using the method you know works).  If that doesn't do it, defrag.  If _that_ doesn't work, backup the data, reinstall the OS, and make sure you don't type "erase" again. :-/
Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 07:16:38 am »

The drive being six years old might have something to do with it . What company made it? Hard drives have been know to fail however six years is a little soon for that. If you have a good connection you can probaly E-mail it to yourself, provided you have at least 2 accounts, might take a while but it is worth it. the only risk is data loss, I'll try to help once I get Verison up again(haven't accessed it for over a year hate to see what's in it.)Hope this helps.

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
Deep-Jiffa
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 08:19:18 am »

Meaning that you're using the Dos prompt command "erase?"
In FAT, it doesn't really remove things from your drive; it just renames them and makes them writable filespace (so that the Dos command undelete can restore them).  Undelete doesn't work anymore though since the data would get written over more often than not.  Maybe this is what "free space fragmentation" is; filespace that is being reserved until no other space can be found, then is purged and used.  Since you know a way to remove files sucessfully, I'd suggest trying to write a simple program to fill up the rest of your filespace (writes 1 byte into a text-file every loop-iteration), then remove the file (using the method you know works).  If that doesn't do it, defrag.  If _that_ doesn't work, backup the data, reinstall the OS, and make sure you don't type "erase" again. :-/

OMFG, you are sooooooo way out of line....
It is FAT-32 and no, I do not use dos!!!
In case you are wondering how I delete without sending to recycle bin, just shift+del and it will ask you if you want to DELETE the selected file/s. If you just press to delete it without holding the "shift" key it will ask you if you are sure that you want to send the selected file/s to the recycle bin.
But hey, I don't judge you. You like sc3 Grin

edit: 10x d999... Sorry terminator.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 09:31:53 pm by Deep_Jiffa » Logged

Deep Jiffa Owns j00!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length