The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:51:02 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Exploring the Galaxy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Exploring the Galaxy  (Read 5573 times)
mkananoja
Zebranky food

The Death is here!

View Profile
Re: Exploring the Galaxy
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2004, 03:53:32 am »

well i have decited at i won't write about what materials each planet or starsystem has... who could be interested about star where is 300 units of common materials instead of 150 units of exotic materials at annother star? i just write it is worthy enought to be "cleaned out" and thats require at i visit every star and planet about its obtains.

I have been and i always will be, surrender or will be destroyed! -Homeworld:cataclysm
Bobucles

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2004, 04:02:25 am »

mkananoja, do you know what the single best planet in the galaxy is?  Grin
My guess is the ruby planet in the Alpha Centauri system. That planet must have about 10,000 RUs of Exotics. Wink
Terminator
*Smell* controller

Obnoxious One Reformed

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 04:18:57 am »

There are TWO Ruby Planets at Alpha Centauri Both worth it in crew an fuel.

We must each create our own paths. Do not mimic mine, I don't even like myself.
Chrispy
Enlightened

Vlik Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2004, 07:38:25 am »

There are also a few jackpots in Terminators favorite system...

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2004, 09:06:52 am »

There are TWO Ruby Planets at Alpha Centauri Both worth it in crew an fuel.

I think your crew would disagree captain.

What's up doc?
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2004, 03:07:54 am »

Umm.. guys?
we have the source code available, remember?

you could just print the database out of it, don't waste all this precious time.

Don't know exactly where it is in the code, but I'm sure the Core Team would gladly direct anyone who's interested.

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 02:36:04 am »

The fun part is:  it's not a database, so there's not much space that gets used.  All of the planet info is generated randomly, and then special systems replace certain random ones (home-stars).
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 03:05:35 am »

Then there's no use in accumulating planet info in the first place!

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 04:23:58 am »

"Who could be interested about star where is 300 units of common materials instead of 150 units of exotic materials at annother star?"

Exactly.  That was the intent of my project I did a few months ago, and you can find that in here.  It's a list of exotic "jackpot" worlds.  I only posted I think the top ten (maybe more), but if you want the whole list in the entire game, you can give me an e-mail and I can send it to you.  Two systems and four planets, though, and you have enough resources to destroy anything and last forever.

"mkananoja, do you know what the single best planet in the galaxy is?   My guess is the ruby planet in the Alpha Centauri system. That planet must have about 10,000 RUs of Exotics."

Bobucles guesses WRONG!

"There are TWO Ruby Planets at Alpha Centauri Both worth it in crew an fuel."

True.

"I think your crew would disagree captain."

IN-DEED!  Alpha Centauri is NOT good for your crew's health.

"you could just print the database out of it, don't waste all this precious time."

And this has been done.

"All of the planet info is generated randomly, and then special systems replace certain random ones (home-stars)."

Pseudorandomly.  Just a regular repeatable pattern that SEEMS random.  But repeatable.

"Then there's no use in accumulating planet info in the first place!"

Sure there is.  It's repeatable so it's not really random and the same resources occur in the same spots each and every game.  So why not at least accumulate the ones worth your time?
tomt
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2004, 05:34:54 am »

I put together a "shopping list" of planets to visit at one point years ago... basically any planet that had gold, radioactives or exotics.  Unfortunately the list could use pruning.  It lists planets that have even a tiny little bit that's not worth the bother to get, and it doesn't mention when the weather, tectonics, gravity, etc. are awful.

I think what I'll try doing is to go through the database at http://uqm.chumbucket.org and come up with a list of planets within reach of Earth (or the long trek "up" to get the warp pod, etc.) where the planetary conditions aren't too terrible.

Aside from Alpha Centauri, these two systems are pretty good:

Zeta Vulpeculae 3a, 4, 5acd, 6, 7.  Tons of gold. The Vulpeculae system is loaded with it.

Delta Tauri 1, 2 and 7.

Now all we need is a list of planets with biological life forms on them that are easy to collect.  I noticed that http://uqm.chumbucket.org doesn't always seem to list biological life... Alpha Wolf 4a and 4d, and Beta Mira 1d have life on them I think, but the database doesn't show anything.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 11:48:02 am by tomt » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length